Need suggestions for a decent drum machine

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by RustyNuts, May 20, 2017.

1. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

The title pretty well sums it up, looking for something to use as backing tracks for recording. What does everyone suggest? Not too worried about price range.

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Ginger Baker..

northernguitarguy and RustyNuts like this.
  3. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

If only....

4. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

XLN Addictive Drums

I have no experience with it, but a friend who is an ex pro drummer swears on this for his studio works, imho it sounds fantastic

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    RustyNuts and Freddy G like this.
  5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I had a drum session last week. There were a few issues with parts that weren't exactly working. So the drummer came over and we reworked the drum parts....but instead of recording we just used XLN Addictive Drums, with the thought that once we come up with kick/snare patterns that were good we would re-record the real drums. Addictive Drums sounded so good we kept it, the only thing we recorded for real was the hi-hat.

6. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

Thanks guys, I'll be looking into it.

7. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

RustyNuts likes this.
  8. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

9. george4th

george4th Member

You guys don't like Superior Drummer? EZ Drummer as a starting point, but Superior as the end point. This is what I use with incredible results. Should I give Addictive a shot? And, what makes it better?
    G

10. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

EZ Drummer is just that, easy, and quite likely all you would need if you just want to make some backing tracks. The more advanced programs are going to give you many more subtle options to tweak and play with. But, can also overwhelm you with options. Though of course you don't have to use those options, but if you don't use them, why pay for them.

Since you mentioned backing tracks, I'll throw a little different option for you to consider. That is "Band In a Box". If you are not familiar, this is a program that can create complete backing tracks ( actually really good solos too). Real easy to enter a chord progression, select a style, and that's it, you get a very professional sounding backing track. Many of the styles use actual recordings of drums, bass, pianos, guitar etc. Not sure how, but it knows how to throw in drum fills where typically needed.

Anyway, just something to look at. It really depends on your goals. If you pan to lay down your own bass tracks and possibly keyboard tracks, in addition to using drum sequences from EX Drummer or other, than no reason to use BIAB. But if you really just want to create some backing tracks quickly so you can play your guitar and solo over them, it's really tough to beat BIAB. Of course, they don't cover all styles equally. It started more or less for jazz. But they have added a lot of styles over about 30 years it has existed. And you can buy just the styles you are interested in.

11. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

another vote for addictive drums 2. it's not perfect, but it's pretty dang impressive. especially for someone like me, who has neither the space, nor the mic closet, to record live drums. plus, you can also use a midi to usb connection to access all of its samples via drum triggers. my cheap ass drummer friend won't spend the 15 bucks for the adapter, so i just keep writing parts with ad2.

some of the beats and fills are pretty useless, but i'll bet all of them are like that. plus, you can always write/play your own beats and fills.

RustyNuts likes this.
  12. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

the higher level band in a box is quite nice, and has actual (fantastic) players that do solos, tracks, etc. the basic (midi) setup is just that...basic. but that pro level (or whatever they call it) is very nice.

13. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I'll throw a recommendation for Superior Drummer. Great program, great sounds.

EZ Drummer is also a great program, and can get great drums sounds. Both programs will sound extremely realistic, as long as you either program very good, or use the built in grooves to help construct your songs.

RustyNuts likes this.