Need Studio Faded/Worn clarification

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by sjturbo, Jul 17, 2017.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Well I'm still searching for a LP Studio and could use some clarification. Leaning towards the Faded/Worn Cherry or "Brown". Can someone tell which years do not have weight relief? I would like to stay with no chambering but swiss cheese is ok:).
    First do they both have a maple cap? Second what pickups do they come with?The Worn Cherry I like is the one with open grain. Since I will be buying used and likely not have the opportunity to try it are there better years I should look for? Any threads I could be directed to would also help. Thanks!

2. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

The faded Studios come with ultra modern weight relief, not the swiss cheese.

3. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Ok, thanks! Moving on, then I guess I should go for wine red gloss or another color prior to 2006??

4. drkato

drkato Double Platinum Supporter

Before you do...you should know that the Studio Faded only moved to ultra modern WR in 2017. My 2016 LP Studio T Faded pictured below, has only "modern" weight relief (difference of about 1/2 a pound more in body weight). In addition to that, the 2016 has trapezoid inlays, and is pretty good quality overall. As you indicated you'd like to buy used, and you can get one of these on Reverb for sub $700 if you keep your eyes out. Also, as you can see from the pic below, it has a two piece maple top.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

5. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Ok drkato, now it's getting more confusing. Explain the dif between modern and ultra.

6. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

I found some threads with pics and descriptions regarding the WR schemes. Unfortunately it seems that Gibson had no set plan as far as when, where and how. So short of X-Rays you don't really know what your getting.

7. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Gibson can indeed be very confusing. Get used to it if you're planning to spend time in the Gibson world.

The guitars you're looking at, these Studios, were called "Vintage" and then "Faded." Some had mahogany tops (the "Vintage Mahogany") and then they introduced a model with a maple top.

8. drkato

In the most basic of terms, about half a pound. :)

There are 5 types of bodies you will encounter in the world of Les Paul bodies (body weights only)...

• No weight relief - solid mahogany body, heaviest @ 8 lbs.
    • Traditional weight relief - 9 holes (roughly 1" in diameter) drilled in the bass side of the body, next heaviest @ 6 - 7 lbs.
    • Modern weight relief - elliptical routings around the entire body, but leaving a good deal of the core tone wood around the pick ups area, that provide a good mix of weight relief and resonant tone wood, medium weight at 5 - 6 lbs.
    • Ultra Modern weight relief - an expansion of the elliptical system, which removes more tone wood, next to last lightest @ 4.5 lbs.
    • Chambered weight relief - major gut job used on the 2008 Standard, leaves only the core area around the pickups, lighest WR, not sure how much body weighs.

In general, weight relief is certainly not a bad thing. Traditional and Modern are both still good performers in my view, though I lean towards Traditional. A lot of people confuse weight relief with chambering, and that is not the case. True chambering was not successful, and to my knowledge, only introduced for one model.

A guide to some basic guitars and their weight relief (all today's offerings have WR by the way)...

• Traditional - Traditional and Classic
    • Modern - Standard and Studio
    • Ultra Modern - Studio Faded

Hope that helps a bit.

9. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I wouldn`t totally agree on the weights, you will find some where chambered can be heavier than no weight relief. Also you will find that the differences between traditional weight relief and modern or ultra modern does not always directly mean such large differences in weights.

I agree on the chambered that these are generally the lightest.

10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

i.e.

[​IMG]

Ultra Modern
    [​IMG]

judson and Donal like this.
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And FWIW, 2011 Faded Studios had Chambered bodies.

12. drkato

Totally right, and I only meant those to be general guidelines. There are certainly outliers for every case.

13. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

Here is a reply I posted in another forum life....

Couple quick points............

"Vintage Mahogany" was a model made for G.C. and M.F.......the finish was "worn brown "and "worn cherry".............the "Mahogany" cap influenced the name.
    Thus if you have a "VM" you have a worn or faded finish.

Later "Gibson" released the VM's to all dealers and began calling the same model "Faded"...........still with "worn brown and faded cherry" finishes.

Pre 2006 VM's were weight relieved......most 2006's are believed to be weight relieved , but at some point in 2006, chambered models hit the market
    as well.
    The original "VM's had mahogany caps and the new models have maple caps. I believe that transition began sometime in late 2009.

Over the years various retailers/dealers have had their own spin on the VM/Faded Studios...........some with covered pickups/some without.....GC had a "worn ebony" with a 60's neck profile.

The model name has been a source of confusion for many............
    If you search, you will find the VM has a different name depending on the dealer.......Vintage Mahogany,Faded,Worn Brown.........heck even "Gibson" lumps them in the "Satin" models in their own literature.
    Which has caused much confusion about the pickups.:shock:

Another small variance I found .........

The original VM's spec's show the neck profile to be '59 and the "Faded" and "Worn brown/Cherry " specs are shown to have 50's neck profile.......which can be different and basically opens up a whole separate discussion.:hmm:

I personally own a 20006 "VM" and I have found the neck to be amongst the fatter of the "Gibson" family.
    The finish appears to be a bit heavier and a darker slightly reddish brown , not the true brown on the current models.

It is currently my go to.......

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, no need to get uptight guys.................

You are playing nice guitars regardless of the trivial details.......:dude:

User100, Sep 23, 2012
    #15Like+ QuoteReply

14. LPSPP

LPSPP Senior Member

I don't think they made a Faded LP with swiss cheese and Maple top

I would look for a 2006 or older full finish studio if that is important to you

Have you played any of the chambered or modern weight relief LP's?

15. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

Thanks for your patience! Been kinda busy with getting older, (66th birthday).
    I did play one faded at GC but did not know year or weight relief scheme. So if they didn't make a faded maple top with swiss cheese and I would like to go with swiss cheese what faded years should I look for? Also what years should I stay away from if I wanted to go with faded maple top but no chamber? Thanks again for all the help!

16. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The LPJ and Tribute models.

17. SpawnedX

SpawnedX Senior Member

You are more hung up on the weight relief than you need to be. Go play some, if they sound great, play great, sustain a ton and drop panties, who cares what weight relief it has?

18. sjturbo

sjturbo Senior Member

"More hung up", likely! Thing is unfortunately I'm very anl when it comes to researching something. I'm going to be buying on the used market and may not have a chance to play it first, (ebay or Reverb). Maybe Craigslist in which case I would be able to try it. So I apologize if I ask to many questions but it's the nature of the beast.
    The Tributes may be an option. I already have an older Epiphone LPJ DC/P90's that I love the sound of. So no more LPJ's. Thanks again for all the inputs.

19. tzd

tzd Senior Member

LPJ is different from Les Paul Juniors. Epiphone does not have a LPJ model.

20. judson

judson Senior Member

i like all the 1990-93 studios with ebony fretboards

i think late 93 they started modern weight relief as my 1990 is about a pound heavier than my 1993, but they both feel perfect for me,,,,i always look for studios in these years as i think they are great bargains....they feel and play great.