Need Some Mesa Mark V Advice

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Johnny Guitar, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Johnny Guitar

Johnny Guitar Junior Member

I'm looking at selling my current amp to buy a Mark V. I've played the Mark V 90 and fell in love, but for the sake of saving money, I was wondering if there's much difference between the 35 watt and the 90 watt? I play in a church band so I wouldn't really need 90 watts for my dirty tones but having some good clean headroom is a plus. I play a 40 watt right now and its more than enough but just wondering if the difference is worth the extra money.

2. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

The V-90 gives you access to 3 channels on the fly, you can drop the wattage on each channel to taste (90w, 45w, 10w), and it runs on big glass.

The V-35 gives you 2 channels on the fly, wattage drop for each channel (35w, 25w, 10w), and runs on EL-84's. Unique on the 35 are two independent SOLO knobs vs. the global SOLO on the 90.

Just pick your poison.

I'd rather go for the 90, myself, because of having one more channel on the fly.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  3. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

I love my big Mark V, and have never regretted my purchase. Looking ahead into coming years, I know it'll be the last amp I let go of, because it can do damn near everything very well.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  4. gball

gball Senior Member

I'd go with the 90. I chose a 5:25 over the 5:35 because they basically sound the same and the 25 was just a better overall package for me, being so small. But, the 90 is a different beast and that's going to be my next amp purchase (mostly for the additional grunt of the power tubes; I absolutely love the tone of the 25 - its my favorite sounding amp ever).

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  5. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

The difference is totally worth the extra $$$$.

It can be the only amp you'll need. You will of course WANT more.

You won't be disappointed with the '90. Don't settle. Go for it!

6. Johnny Guitar

How is the effects loop in the V90? I hear alot of people saying theyve had problems with it.

7. Jymbopalyse

I have only ever run a Zoom G3 through the effects loop and have NEVER had a "problem".

I've even run the amp sims through the loop and got some really good results.

Honestly. It's a great amp all the way around.

8. Johnny Guitar

One more question before I'm completely convinced to buy one :) I currently have two closed back cabs. An avatar 2x12 diagonal with greenbacks and a Dr. Z closed back 2x12 with a creamback and a G12H30. Will those speakers sound good with the Mark V or is it really that much better with V30's?

9. Jymbopalyse

It never really entered the equation before but are looking to get the head or the combo? Just curious.
    I have the 1x12 combo unit. It has an open back. I've never had it power anything else.

Except Once: I plugged her into a Marshall 1960a (4x12). The sound was way bigger. I wasn't used to it. It was wicked loud. BUT - It actually sounded like crap at first . . . until I readjusted ALL the EQ settings.

It's just my gut feeling, but I think the MarkV will sound great through what you have. You may have to work for it a little though. Just don't expect your settings for one cab to necessarily sound good for another.

That's the BEAUTY of this amp. Its versatility. Plug-n-Play it aint.

10. Lungo

Lungo Silver Supporter

Another thing to mention is the Mark V 35 doesn't have an FX loop control on the foot switch. I enjoyed that option on my Mark IV but don't find I miss it that much.

11. Johnny Guitar

I'm getting the head just for the ease of transport. Thats why I have two cabs, one that stays at home and one that stays at my church.

12. gball

gball Senior Member

From my limited time playing the full 90-watt head and experience with my 5:25 I think it will sound great with both of your cabs. But like Jymbopalyse mentioned, just be prepared to spend some quality time with it to dial it in for them. The amp can truly do everything well, but you have to learn how to use it or it's easy to get a sonic turd out of the speakers.

Jymbopalyse and Johnny Guitar like this.
  13. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

If the question is in your mind now the answer is clear, get the full Mark V. if you choose the scaled down version you will always second guess yourself. Not to mention EL84's in the smaller MKV's do sound quite a bit different than 6L6 or El34's in the larger MK. Having owned a MKV 90 i can say its worth every penny. I picked mine up in mint condition used and saved about 800 bucks over buying new.

Johnny Guitar likes this.
  14. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

You might not think you'll use the 90watt mode but on pure clean channel.1 then you might. Clean with headroom and dynamics needs that higher power, especially if you're backing off the guitar volume to decrease the sensitivity for rhythm. Even if not then the 45watt mode is much more useful than the 35watt mode on the alternate amp.
    I own a Mark V with a 2x12 slant rectifier cab and it's superb. No issues with the fx-loop, slight hum on the internal reverb but nothing bad. Get the Mark V original ...

15. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

If you do get a Mark V then I can't urge you enough to read the user guide from cover to cover. The controls on a Mark V are very powerful and they have hidden depths BUT as a consequence they interact with each other in ways that are unusual for most amps. The guide explains WHY it is happening (at a circuitry function level) and HOW to fully control it. Don't let this put you off ... it's all an easy and clear read but it is essential.
    Download the guide now and start reading is my advice. You'll see what you're getting into and it will make you want one even more.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  16. Neil B

Neil B Junior Member

So, Johnny, did you go for it?

I did - a MkV with an open back and closed back Widebody cabinets with stock Mesa C90 Black Shadows. Never looked back - three channels on demand plus other footswitchable goodies.