Need some help!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Jackangus, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

I guy I know has just offered me a Electric guitar he made. It looks good, and feels nice to play and sounds good.
    My only possible problem is, the D string is nowhere near as bright or loud sounding as the rest of the strings.
    This includes when I play the string open, when I play a note, or bend the D string.

My first thought is maybe the guitar needs new strings, but it is only really the D string.
    And yes, I would say the guitar needs new strings.

The shops are all closed so I can't get any new strings till tomorrow. I thought I would ask you good people what you think? Is this something to be more worried about?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I'd say either the saddle or the nut are the culprit.
    Second point is that the fret levelling could have been slightly missed in that area.

Whilst the above can compensate for the volume, it doesn't really address the cause.

3. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

When bending up on the D string on fret 18th fret there is almost no sound, then the little sound there was, stops completely at the top of the bend.
    Is that what you call a dead fret?
    Would you pass on this guitar?

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

That example is the fretwork for sure.
    I would be suspicious if it has been claimed that the guitar is set up and ready to go, or if the guitar is claimed as a great player. Every note should ring out on every string. They should sound even in timbre so that one string or note should not sound out of place.
    The precision option will have decent fretwork - but you would still need to have it properly set up once the guitar is finished.

Jackangus likes this.
  5. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

When you say set up, do you mean just a basic setup or the frets will have to be leveled?

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Both.
    A setup should include fret levelling if its an initial one.

There is not a single guitar ever made where the initial putting in of frets will be perfect. Some can be very good, some can be less good. But it is an expected part of building that you need to level frets once the whole thing is together.

Jackangus likes this.
  7. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Fair enough. If you don't ask you don't know.
    Definitely a learning curve.