Need Some Help. I Want to Rewire My Trads.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Valkyrie, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I have a 2010, 13, and a 16. I love the know reaponse that I get from my R9. I have an experiment I want to try and that is to replace the controls with ones that will be close to the ones in my R9. I also plan on replacing the Classic 57s with Antiquities or Pearly Gates.

First steps? Harness manufacturers?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The Trads will already have 500k vol pots...or should do. The tones are 300k, which can get swapped out.

Taper is another factor which might influence a shift from one 500k pot to another, and your use of the vol pot will determine whether you need or want that change. Caps are also a great place to tweak the tone, with a multitude of different values available. PIO caps don't need to be expensive - unless you have every box ticked then its pointless going for the vintage correct bumblebees......something that is a repro and actually not a PIO cap anyhow in your RI anyhow if its stock.

You can buy individual pots and caps in a multitude of places, and guys like Jonseyblues and ReWind also can do the basic layout pre-soldered. If you are going to do that you might as well do the switch wire as well.

3. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Just build your own in you are handy with a soldering iron! Get the exact pots, caps, jacks and switches you want.

4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I can solder and donit myself just don't know what parts to order etc.

GitFiddle likes this.
  5. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

How detailed of a wiring copy are you looking to do for your Trads? There's gonna be tonnes of opinions coming.... I would go with 500k CTS or Bourns Audio Taper, Switchcraft Jack and swtich, some type of PIO Cap and vintage style wire and a Bus wire for the ground since they are LP's. If you want to go perfectly vintage correct, then you may want to look as Bumblebee PIO caps.

Maybe something like this from Stew Mac?

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...MIqoykybGO1gIVloJpCh37Cg2zEAYYAiABEgJFXfD_BwE

6. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

I've put a Jonesy 50s harness in every LP I own (except one that came with an RS 50s harness). Up to 6 LPs and a Strat and I gig with them all.

Jonesy is a vendor here and is nothing but excellent quality and service.