Need some help deciding on new guitar!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Zarg, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm currently trying to decide for a new guitar. I will most likely put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and block the trem for more stability. I just want a good playing guitar. I like jumbo frets.

My first choice: https://www.thomann.de/gb/jackson_js22_dinky_blk.htm

[​IMG]

I had a JS 22 before and it was a great guitar, really love the binding and the headstock. Looks much more highclass than it actually is. The inlays are also much nicer than dots.

other choice would be: https://www.thomann.de/gb/kramer_guitars_baretta_special_black.htm

[​IMG]

As a Steel Panther fan, this is pretty tempting too. And honestly, I almost never use the neck pickup. Just wish it had a black bridge like the jackson. Probably pretty awesome with a JB. Sadly I think this one comes with medium jumbos, so I'm not too sure if I would rather have jumbos...... I might just order this one and check it out and send it back and get the jackson if it sucks, can't try it locally, sadly.

Now its your turn. What would you choose and why? Any other recommendations I forgot to think about? Now I will make sure the new guitar of choice will get some kind of setup first, but I want a decent quality instrument to begin with. Any experiences welcome!

Cheers!

Benjammin and paruwi like this.
  2. gball

gball Senior Member

Love the Kramer. Simple. Reminds me a of a B.C. Rich Gunslinger I had in the '80's

Who likes this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

What's your budget ?

4. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

budget ?

1978 Fender stratocaster 042.JPG

kiko likes this.
  5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I was looking at both those guitars online last year, and ended up buying a Jackson Rhoads V instead. The Dinky JS22 I played was quite good for the price, the neck was a bit chunkier than I would like, but other wise sound. My Rhoads is a cheapo model and it is well built too, I dont know if they're from the same factory or what. I never did get my hands on the Kramer, but I do still want one. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in and help us both out. All the reviews I read were good, lots of people seem to like them as mod platforms

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Zarg likes this.
  6. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Budget is about 300€. I found a used korean Kramer Baretta with a seymour duncan jb and ugraded wiring. It has a floyd though that I will block... I kinda prefer vintage style trems, they're easier to block off and have more contact to the body. But I might buy that one!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  7. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

sounds like you want the Jackson and would always think about it if you bought the Krammer

8. Victek

Victek Senior Member

The Jackson is more interesting to look at; cool neck inlays, and I like the Satin finish. The neck pickup is a good thing too, even if you only use it occasionally. Play-ability is the bottom line though. I would want to play them.

9. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Thank you for your comment, you're right. The Jackson is very pretty. I feel a bit more drawn towards the Kramer though, but most likely going for a used Kramer now (it's higher quality). Generally saying though, when I first had a JS22 it played just as well as every other guitar I've played so far (and I had a few roundabout 1000$ fender/gibsons in my hands). Very impressive for the price point, consistency might be a bad point though..... I probably had luck with the JS22 I had a year ago.

10. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Benjammin and Zarg like this.
  11. Thugstrings

Thugstrings Junior Member

I love how sleek the Kramer looks.

12. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

great suggestion! It might be pushing my budget a bit because I want to swap at least the bridge PU. But it seems like a much more reasonable choice to go with a hardtail instead of blocking a trem.... I've heard quite shocking tone differences between guitars with and without a trem system.

Benjammin and tzd like this.
  13. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

Just out of curiosity you might want to try out a EBMM EVH or the cheaper version the AXIS.. Jumbo Frets, Dive only Floyd Rose and you probably won't need to change out the Pickups..
    [​IMG]

14. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Alright guys! So I will order tomorrow! Current things I have in my are:

still the kramer:
    [​IMG]

I would block the trem, put in a seymour duncan JB and new wiring.

Other option would be the Jackson JS32TQ

[​IMG]

shes definitely a looker! I wouldnt be able to afford a seymour duncan with this though and would run the stock humbuckers for a while until I can get my hands on a TB4 (JB). It has string through and just looks amazing.

What do you guys think? Its pretty clearly the jackson, right? Still the kramer is on my mind. Do you think the stock humbuckers of the jackson will do fine? any other options? budget again is around 300€

15. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

if it was me, and I could afford it, I'd go with the JS32. Stock Jackson pickups are pretty decent IMO, when I bought my Rhoads I was planning to replace everything, but so far its stock (except for a mag change on the neck pickup)

Depending on what kind of deposit you would have to pay, it might be worth ordering a Kramer through a store so you could at least try it first. It might be as good/better a guitar and would leave more $$ for pickups

16. 1000

1000 Junior Member

You owe it to yourself to try an EVH if you haven't already. Trust me.

17. Hogie34

Hogie34 Member

I agree with Benjamin,the stock Jackson pickups in the JS22's are really good for stock branded pickups. I left the stock pups in my JS22-7 .

As far as the EVH suggestions, I own two. They're great but way beyond his 300€ budget guys.

18. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Tomorrow was some time ago,

what did you get ?

19. gl3nnium

gl3nnium Senior Member

You have a million options my friend, particularly because you have a love of pointy headstock shred masters that most people are turned off by now.
    For that money you could have something genuine and historic, particularly if you go superstrat.
    A genuine 1980's Charvel, Jackson, Washburn or Schecter. They were built to insane quality levels with ease of play in mind.
    Most people now see a pointy headstock and say 'no thanks' and to them i say "thank-you" - its because of them that some of the most amazing historic guitars ever built are now cheaper to buy than a chinese knock off of a Les Paul.
    i234294377375894.jpg

20. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

[​IMG]

I did some thinking about it and wanted to get the perfect guitar for me. I had many great ones so far but I was never 100% happy with one, that's why I wanted more budget to get something decent and I just made myself some more room ;) This beauty is what I got. Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas with a hardtail. Amazing guitar, really. Has all the features I could ever wish for and makes no compromises - sold some gear of mine to get it and never looked back, this is what I've been searching for.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    tzd, freak, Benjammin and 1 other person like this.