Need some guidance with my next pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ccrandall88, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ccrandall88

ccrandall88 Member

Hey all. I'm looking at replacing my pickups in my 2013 LP standard. I'm a bit torn between a pair of Pearly Gates, 57 Classics, or BK Mules. What I'm really looking for is something that has some great touch sensitivity. I want something that has a vintageish voice, will respond to how soft or hard I'm playing, and have some sizzle to it. I have narrowed down it down to those 3, but am having a hard time deciding. Does anyone have any pointers or recommendations? Currently I have a WLH set in, and, they just arent doing it for me. They are great pickups but they have a tendancy to sound a bit flat and muddy to my ears.

2. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

All solid choices, I would probably go pearly gates if it were me, but the 57 classics can certainly turn on the juice as can the bk mules

ccrandall88 likes this.
  3. ccrandall88

ccrandall88 Member

Thanks! Ya I'm leaning Pearly Gates as well, but its a little nerve wracking having never played a set. I've listened to a bunch of videos, but what I'm most concerned about is the "feel." The best pair of pickups I've ever played had this amazing touch response. When I played soft, they cleaned up so well, and when I dug in, they had an amazing sizzle. I was dumb enough to not figure out what the hell they were :\

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

A no-nonsense easy choice is Seymour Duncan's '59s.
    I personally don't like the "sizzle" (for lack of a better word) of the Pearly Gates.
    The '59s are pretty versatile for a good variety of tones.

Still, if you go for the Pearly, consider a '59 for the neck.
    But as with everything, to each his own!
    :D

5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

IMO, you lose those qualities when you trade in an AlNiCo 5 for AlNiCo 2 (or AlNiCo 4), but they're also qualities that are much easier to achieve with the settings on your amp or gain pedal, that being "sizzle", touch dynamics, etc. Pickups lean a certain way, but the gain stage between the guitar and speaker are most responsible for that.

That being said, thw WLH is a slightly hotter PAF with AlNiCo 5, so if you were going to change the pickups to trend away from a muddy tone, the SH-1 '59 set is the next logical step.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  6. ccrandall88

ccrandall88 Member

Thanks for the input! In my (very limited) pickup experience I assumed the opposite, that you lost those qualities with an AlNiCo 5 and gained them with a 2 or 4. And I totally hear you on the amp part. I think my issue is the WLH has always had this muddy quality to them I don't love. That's not to say they aren't great pickups, they totally are, but for me I haven't been able to shake the feeling that they are lacking.

7. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I've not had a lot of success with SD pups for touch responsiveness. The sets I've tried have either had no sizzle, or a lot of compression when compared to other PAF-like sets. The only set of Classic 57s I've had were unpleasant - an emphasis in the highs rather than the upper mids, making them harsh and ice-picky.

I've recently put a set of BK Rebel Yell pups into an all-mahogany LP copy, and been very impressed with them. I'm more likely to try a set of BK Mules as a result.

HTH

8. chunktone

chunktone Member

I'd go with the BK's, but it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison imo. The BK's are twice as much as SD's, but if that's not a concern, then I'd go with the BK's. There are plenty of other brands that are great, but that's a topic for another time.

9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

IMO, 57 Classics have the sizzle of warm yogurt. Personally, I think OP should go the 'boutique' route. And as usual, I'm going to recommend Vineham Pickups. At $65USD for a custom wound pup, how can you go wrong?

http://www.vineham.com/humbucker_pickups.html

Rhust and bulletproof like this.
  10. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

57 Classics are a great pickup but I don't think they will have the sizzle you are looking for. The 57's IMHO are great for clean and shine at doing that.

I was looking at the PG not so long ago. I ended up with a T-Top clone that is simply SPECTACULAR !!! I think they would be a good fit for you, and a fraction of the cost! Here is the thread

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/npd-vineham-6070s-finally.393873/

Northernguitarguy (above) actually turned me on to the Vineham Pickups.
    It's worth a look.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I've had sizzle with all mag types. Quite frankly for those experienced in winding pickups (and once you have experienced a variety of pickups and swapped mags in them) it is clear that the wind is by far the more important element.......something repeated many times here on this forum by those who actually wind pickups for a living.
    Adding to the Vineham recommendation, I'd put in Tysontone and Sigil in there too as affordable options - especially if BKP's are in the budget.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. ccrandall88

ccrandall88 Member

Wow, thanks all for the great input, lots to chew on here! Cost is def not much of a factor (within reason). I think at this point I've taken the 57s out of the running. They sound good but after everything I've read and listened too, I don't think they are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the PGs now. I suspect the Mules might be better, but I get the impression that the cost you're paying vs the upgrade in quality is pretty negligible.

14. Playforfun

Playforfun Member

Suhr Doug Aldrich will get you there

15. Starman

Starman Senior Member

If you have the extra $$ the SD Custom Shop Pearly Gates set is phenomenal.

16. Jock

Jock Senior Member

Be prepared to try a few, the wood makes all the difference. Take time and try as many as you can, after a few years I settled on a SD Jazz because my guitar was darker sounding than my other one. Both the same maker both the same model, only difference was the weight.. over 1lb difference. One worked with Seth Lovers the other did not. I used a 57 and a Pearly gates and a Seth but util I put in the Jazz it was always too dark. Now it sings.

17. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Amber Spirit of 59. No affiliation with the company but I think you might like those from what you describe you're looking for. Those are actually made by Wolfgang van Damm who designed the Gibson P94 when he was still working for Gibson.
    They sound amazing.

http://www.amberpickups.com/index.php?hb#

18. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Your list of desired features describes a set of Ox4 low winds, at least in my experience.

19. MW110

MW110 Junior Member

Hey cc, l don't know your budget and I don't want to open a new can....but I think Throbak pups would do the job perfectly. Look at those to get an impression.

20. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Totally
    But most youngsters here won't buy them as they have no money