Need some advice on possible R7 purchase.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by lovehifi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. lovehifi

lovehifi Senior Member

Hi all. I am going to try out a used 2007 VOS R7 gold top. The guy is asking 2600.00 Its pretty much in mint condition except for a small scuff near the input. From the pics it looks like it can be buffed out. Regardless there is no COA. Only the original case. It does bother me and I am worried that may hurt if I decide one day to part with it. A deal breaker? Not sure. If the guitar plays and sounds great and reaches out to me should I be that concerned? Does not having the COA knock down the resell value? If so how much? Thanks. Oh and I do know what to look for to make sure its a true R7.

2. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Offer $2200

$2600 is too much for a 2007 without a COA.

Imho

bossaddict, michaelinokc and lovehifi like this.
  3. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

If you like the guitar, offer what you think is fair.
    The COA is a useless piece of nonsense. If you really want one and Gibson won't send you one, it would take about 20 minutes at a print store. It's the easiest thing about a historic to fake.

FennRx and lovehifi like this.
  4. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

What FennRX suggests is likely to happen when you decide to sell it.

lovehifi and FennRx like this.
  5. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

Half the reissues I've owned came without COA. Guitar Center always seems to lose them (I bought the one I have now elsewhere). I resold two of the ones I had without a problem (one had a COA, the other did not) and I did not get any grief about the missing COA, and I got what I thought was a fair market price. Mostly it is collectors that care, players usually do not. I don't give a crap about them. So buy the guitar if it sounds and looks good, you can't play the COA. I do not think $2600 is too much for that guitar. Of course you should see if you can get it for less. I've recently been shopping and I think a 57 of that era in really good condition is a $2400-$2800 guitar.

One caveat: if the missing COA will play on your mind later, best to move on. There's a lot of 57s for sale.

H. Mac and lovehifi like this.
  6. lovehifi

lovehifi Senior Member

I agree. 2600.00 is fair but I will try for lower of course. I will give it a play this week and that will tell me if it's the one for me. Nice thing it's local so I can try it first. Heard 2007 was a great year for historics too. Planning on buying to keep, not sell so the COA will not be a deal breaker. Of course most the guitars I have sold I bought to keep and not to sell. Lol

7. L96A1

L96A1 Senior Member

Some times I wonder why some many guitars have no COAs, I mean, it’s not a trouble to keep them.
    Someone collecting them?

lovehifi likes this.
  8. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

I tossed mine away. It was taking up valuable space in the case pocket that I could use for things like straps and cables.
    And it was just some mass produced thing without a real handwritten signature or any kind if anti forgery measures, so pretty much worthless as proof of authenticity. Anyone could have made it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    lovehifi likes this.
  9. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

American Pro Strats now come with COAs. Guess what? That's right, the store lost the COA to the guitar I bought. They took $100 off. I'd rather have that $100 in my pocket than a piece of worthless paper. Kinda gives you an idea of what not having it is going to do to your resale value though. COAs are a big FU to the buyer because it's just one more thing that complicates life.

lovehifi likes this.
  10. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

I paid $1,900 for an R7 in very good condition. You can do better on price.

FennRx and lovehifi like this.
  11. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Member

They do show up from time to time and I'll tell you what, I'll bet your $1900 R7 smokes just about every (more expensive) 2017 LP Standard or Traditional anyone would care to compare to it. We should keep these historic LPs more on the down low, if more people catch on they'll snatch them up too fast for us to get more at decent prices.

lovehifi likes this.
  12. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Agreed. I paid about $2150 for a 2006 R7 a couple of years ago and took a while to get that for it when I sold it. For a near mint example, I wouldn't pay more than $2300 or so. That said, if you get a chance to play it and it blows you away, it's hard to put a price on that.

H. Mac, lovehifi and FennRx like this.
  13. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Absolutely. When you know the guitar has IT, then pay what you feel it's worth.

But site unseen? $2600 wouldn't be happening. Ymmv

lovehifi and bossaddict like this.