Need some advice on changing pickups on my Tele

Discussion in 'Fender' started by KSG_Standard, Jul 5, 2017.

1. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

I have this Tele Plus with a dual red/red lace sensor in the bridge position and a single blue sensor in the neck. I'd like to know how much effort/butchering would be required to swap the pups to a set of TV Jones TV Classics. I'm not a modder by nature, I usually just play 'em as I get 'em, but I'm interested in this particular mod. Any ideas on how much cutting and work would be required for this mod and maybe a rough idea of what I might have to pay for the work? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Have you peeked under the guard to see what type of route it might already have?

Who and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. KSG_Standard

I have not, but that's probably a good place to start...I wish I'd thought of that. I'll take a look tonight.

4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah, if it has a 'pool' cavity, you would have to just cut out the pickguard for the neck pup. However, if it routed out for each pup, that's a little more work, not much if yer handy, KSG.

5. KSG_Standard

I'm sort of a measure once, cut 3-5 times kind of guy...I'm an excellent driver though.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Lol....I wish I had of put more into my high school trades training. I'm alright, but don't give me any 'finesse' work. I'm lucky, I have an Italian drummer with trades experience and OCD for a close friend. One weekend, I suggested that my cheap 4x12 cab could make a kick-ass 2x12. The next time I saw him, it was all chopped down, done as professionally as could be.

KSG_Standard and jdto like this.
  7. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Have no fear. Lift up the pickguard. Only 8 screws to back out. Once you can see under, you'll know whether it's already routed or not. If it isn't, it's not that hard to do. Just masking tape the face of the body and draw the areas you need to expand and set the depth on the router. Maybe several passes taking a safe percentage each pass. As far as cutting your pickguard.... NOPE!

Order one from Warmoth. They have a custom order template that cuts out for all the choices you can think of and they do a NICE job. I got a one ply 0.090 thick matte black 5 screw hole pickguard from them. Perfect!

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/TelePickguard.aspx

KSG_Standard likes this.
  8. Shelbyblues

Shelbyblues Senior Member

I guess you know Tele Plus Models are fairly rare, much more than Strat Plus's, and have collector if left original.

It's your guitar, but I would leave it alone and buy a Tele with the pups you want or mod one that won't be devalued because of it.

In nice shape they average $1200 to $1400 or more.

The last one I seen like yours on my local C/L was priced at $1200 and gone by the time I called 2 hours after it was posted.

YMMV

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=142426553667

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=252723508397

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Phil W, Mule Train and KSG_Standard like this.
  9. Mule Train

Mule Train Senior Member

I was wanting to hear it when it was finished. Now not so much unless the mods are done in a way that it can be put back to original. Very nice Tele.

Shelbyblues likes this.
  10. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

As above, do it to a different Tele.

Shelbyblues likes this.
  11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

I remember those guitars.

They're now collectible?

12. Shelbyblues

I don't know how those models are routed. If they will except the pup change without additional routing then no harm no foul.

Yes it is a nice Tele.

13. Shelbyblues

Look at the prices. I like Strat plus models and still currently have two. The prices on those have got somewhat crazy imo and the Tele Plus models are no exception...when you find them.

Strat Plus models are everywhere. Tele Plus models not so much.

KSG's is a Version 1 with the dual red Lace Sensor.

They also made a Version 2 with a 3 pup configuration similar to a Nashville Tele.

14. D-POLAND

D-POLAND Senior Member

what I have a problem with is, after cutting the 3-5 times , it is still TOO SHORT!?????

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017