Need recommendations for a new guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Les Paul Newb, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Hi gents,

I need a guitar specifically for shredding/solos. Dimebag style. Floyd is a must. Needs to be fast, low action, butter-smooth, and reliable. Other than that, I have no preferences. My budget is $1000. Here's what I've been looking at, both have a FR 1000 series (although the EVH doesn't specifically state this, I read somewhere it's a 1000, but correct me if I'm wrong) So, give me your recommendations of guitars that fit the bill. Thanks.

EVH Wolfgang special: $999

Has the D-tuna feature. 1-piece solid basswood body with maple arch-top, . Available with flame for $100 more. 1-piece Quartersawn Maple Bolt-on neck, strat scale. Made in Mexico. Available with rosewood FB at no extra cost. No case.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EVH5107701?siid=169728

Dean Stealth: $999

Ebony fretboard, mahogany body, flame maple top (idk how thick) hardshell case, USA DMT Dimetime/Seymour Duncan Dimebucker combo. Mahogany Set neck, LP scale.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNESTHF?siid=182729

More options please, or a vote for one of these. Thanks guys.

2. tzd

tzd Senior Member

What's your neck preference?

Do you prefer more rounded or more slim/flat necks?

Also do you prefer a narrower neck/nut (strings closer together) or a wider nut with wider string spacing?

3. freak

freak Silver Supporter

Charvel. $899 new.

danohat likes this.
  4. Les Paul Newb

For most stuff I love the neck on my 07' vintage mahogany. I think it's a 59' rounded profile. I played a trad pro in Pelham blue a few years ago, and that neck was way too fat for me. Also, slim taper 60's just doesn't feel right to me.

But this is for different stuff. I love the Neck on the Dean ml's, which they call a "V" shape. It's nice.

For nut/string spacing, i really do love my LP vintage mahogany. I wouldn't mind a tad wider, but not more narrowed.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I'd get Eddies guitar. He certainly shreds it. Although he could shred a tackle box full of fishing line. Still.

6. Les Paul Newb

Nice, is there a model I should look up specifically? Idk anything about Charvel's other that EVH was playing them at one time.

El Pablo likes this.
  7. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Great info. Based on this, the EVH Wolfgang Special neck is rounded and not too fat; HOWEVER the nut is considerably narrow - 1.625" (R2) compared with what you are used to.

I have absolutely no idea about the Dean and its V neck, but if you like it, you should probably get it.

My other recommendation for you would be the current model of Charvel San Dimas or So Cal (2016 or 2017 model). In 2017 they added Telecaster-shaped models (Style 2) as well. The neck on them are rounded but not fat, and the nut is 1.6875" (R3) close to the spacing of a Les Paul.

8. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

IMG_1082.JPG For not too much money more I'd go for an Ibanez Premium. Here's just one example

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG1070PBZ?siid=192926

Actually if you call the company you can usually get them to lower the price so you may be able to buy for close to your price.

They have Edge trems instead of Floyds, but at least the two Edge trems I have now are excellent.

smk506, El Pablo and Walt_T like this.
  9. Les Paul Newb

Thanks man. Great info.

10. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Ibanez, pick your poison. Monsters out of the box.

11. Les Paul Newb

Haha that's crazy! It has like 5 woods I've never heard of and an 11 piece neck! Jesus. Awesome guitar. Yeah zzounds price matches too. There's always Black Friday as well if one can wait.

acstorfer likes this.
  12. Les Paul Newb

Is an edge trem any functionally different than a Floyd?

I know a Floyd "floats", an edge does what? Balances? What are the functional differences?

13. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I have two JEMs. One JEM has an original Edge and the other has a LoPro Edge. They are both basically improved FRs. They also both function the same as Floyds. The Edge Zero is something I don't know too much about but it's probably more than adequate.

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

There are more out there, I just posted that one as an example. Multi-piece necks are actually a very good thing :)

I'd give Sweetwater a call too.

15. Les Paul Newb

I was wondering how Ibanez can sell a guitar that exotic for $1300. There are crazy woods in that thing. Then I saw "made in Indonesia" in the comments. Not that they can't produce phenomenal instruments, but that price point seems more in line with Japan/Korea.

16. freak

freak Silver Supporter

See my avatar. I'm playing a san dimas (no pick guard) the so cal's have one. just a matter of taste. also, iirc, the 2016's have no tone control knobs, the 2017's do.
    I just put down my prs se (around $750 new) if the nut were better, i'd recommend that. cheap enough fix I suppose, but the strings always get binded up when you use the whammy. (mine is a non rose, just a stock trem system) but it sounds fantastic, and if you use the bar just a bit, it's ok. fantastic sound though.

17. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Ibanez wizard necks are pencil thin. Even though I like slim necks, the wizard neck is too thin for me. I had a RGT42 that I just got rid of last month because I can never play it even though it is really nice.

Whether the trem floats or not depends on whether the trem is mounted in a recessed cavity (the Ibanez, the current Charvel MIM's I mentioned, and your Dean), or mounted on top of the body (the EVH). If it floats, you can both pull it backwards and push it forwards. On the EVH, you could only push it forward as it can't pull back any further.

18. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The 2016 and 2017 are the same model - they have the tone control. It's the 2015 model that does not have tone control; and the 2015 model has a slimmer one-piece quartersawn neck vs. the 2016/2017 which has 2-piece maple neck.

19. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

20. Les Paul Newb

Then the EVH is out of the question. Damn, that sucks. To play Dimebag's stuff you need to go both ways (pun intended). The charvel looks good because it has a wider nut than the EVH too. R3.