Need Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by algs911, Oct 3, 2017.

1. algs911

algs911 Senior Member

MLP-ers,

I just bought my Son a keyboard (with drum pad) and it came with software to run the keyboard, etc. for his Windows machine. He's not in to guitar, but I'm super excited he wants to create some music!

He'd like to be able to do multi-track recording via the drum pad, the keyboard (and all associated effects) along with a microphone (via the USB audio interface we got him).

I need recommendations for multi-track recording software that will enable him to use the new software and hardware he has. No, I don't want to spend $1,000!

Thanks!

Al

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Reaper

Mary Linda likes this.
  3. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Ditto! (or IOW +1)

4. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Another Reaper vote. It's a fully functioning demo and something like $70 when you buy it. So very inexpensive. Keep in mind that it is a fully functional digital audio workstation (DAW) software.
    Which means it's going to be able to do just about anything, but as a result is more complex. There are likely simpler, but much less flexible options. And Reaper is what he'll end up using anyway if he sticks with it. So no reason not to start there, but anticipate a learning curve.

And no matter what software you use, it will take some time to sort out how to get it to work with your interface, keyboard etc.

Reaper also comes with some basic, common audio plugins for adding FX like reverb or EQ.

If you haven't already, I'd look around for books etc on home recording. If this is all new to you, and I'm guessing it is becasue you asked this question, you will need to learn about many things. With a keyboard, it is very common to record MIDI information rather than the audio signal coming from the keyboard. This includes recording drum pads. That way, you can change the patch and go from say piano to organ without re-recording or change snare drum to something else. Reaper fully supports MIDI. So MIDI is something you'll want to learn about . Though to start, nothing wrong with recording the audio from the keyboard just like you would record any audio source.

I'm not trying to scare you off. It's an exciting area with many very interesting things to learn. And if your son likes computers, so much the better. Modern recording and computer tech go hand in hand. And with Reaper and what you already have, you should be off to the races. There's no end to what you can spend your money on, but you can certainly do a lot with very little.

Best of luck, and I hope he and you enjoy this journey you're setting off on. It really is a lot of fun with a bit of frustration thrown in.

5. yeti

yeti Senior Member

I'll throw in my recommendation, Harrison Mixbus 4, works like an old-fashioned audio console with built-in EQ, compression, tape saturation and a very familiar bus structure, and it supposedly sounds fantastic (I just got started trying it out, too early to tell) . At $79.00 it's a no-brainer.
    Reaper is cool and super flexible but not intuitive enough. I love how robust it is for tracking but I wouldn't want to edit/ mix in it, unless it's for VR.

mmd likes this.
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I checked this out after reading your post. I am gonna give Mixbus 4 a shot. Looks pretty awesome, and I still have/use an analog console in my studio....I am pumped at the mixer layout. If I am totally happy with it (I currently use an older version of PT HD on a system that is starting to show its age) I am going to switch to the Mixbus 32c for my next major DAW.

I currently use Reaper for mobile session (drum tracking, guest musicians, etc). I love tracking with it, but have a difficult time with the mixing aspect compared to PT HD. Mixbus looks like I may be pleased with tracking and mixing....

Thanks for the post - would have NEVER known about it otherwise!!

yeti likes this.
  7. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Hey, mmd
    Please let us know how this pans out for you. I myself had heard about it but never got into it since my workplace is a ProTools AVID shop, but a month ago when we took delivery of our RADAR studio it came with mixbus loaded. When I get a chance I'll play with it but it looks very intriguing and Harrison knows a thing or two about consoles.
    Like I said, nothing against Reaper, it is rock solid, a natural choice for tracking in the field but the editing/ mixing aspect of it is counterintuitive to many of us, myself included. BUT there is no match when it comes to track width, in VR mixing I need masters that are 9 channels wide, for certain game engines using 5th order ambisonic one needs masters that are 36 tracks wide, etc. Reaper is the only one that can do that at this time but for plain old stereo it's not the most user friendly.
    BTW, Harrison Mixbus is based on the open source Adour DAW.

mmd likes this.
  8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on, man. I LOVE my PT HD system, but it's time to consider an upgrade. I have been saving for a modern version of my system, but it's more than I can swing once I add in the super computer and upgrading all my plug-ins.

I got lucky when I bought it. A serious studio had upgraded and they had the WHOLE system, turn-key, with all the discs, i-lock, computer, card, cables, plug-ins....EVERYTHING on ebay. I put in a bid - $99.99 (no reserve). NOBODY else bid, so I got THE WHOLE SYSTEM for $140 shipped to my door. Granted, it's PT 7....but I have had it for several years and it has been awesome. The problem? It's on XP and with what I am doing these days I just don't have enough power....

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Bought Mixbus 4 last night - Harrison is running a "special" on it right now for $39. Here is my initial thought....

http://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/specials/

I watched ALL of Harrison's videos and was REALLY psyched to get this DAW going as an alternative to Reaper, and possibly ProTools. I loaded it onto my mobile studio laptop (quad core, 4GB RAM, 2TB drive - not the greatest but it meets the minimum requirements). It was a bit of a hassle to get it up and going. For reference, I use 27" flat screen TVs for monitors.....

When I opened a project, I was greeted by a BEAUTIFUL "picture" of a console. However, even with the window maximized I could BARELY see the "controls". All the neat little features are SOOOOOOO tiny that I was straining my eyes to see what was what.

THEN, when I armed a track - just my bass DI to the interface - to check latency and transport functions. I was greeted by MASSIVE amounts of latency. I worked about various settings on my interface, and just couldn't get the issue fixed. I have NO latency issues with Reaper. I'll mess with it more this weekend, but I am not holding my breath. If I can't see the controls on a 27" screen, then it's kind of useless. My ProTools system uses two 32" screens, and I may hook one of those to the laptop to see if it makes a difference.

That's where it's at so far....

10. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

LMMS

https://lmms.io/

totally free . works well with input devices . plenty of power

11. WineRedFreak

WineRedFreak Member

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I too will add my vote for Reaper...