need less damn shimmer, how and who

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Mookakian, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Have you tried an a4 pickup? Supposed to be a very neutral sounding magnet. I mellowed up a couple bridge pickups swapping in an a4. Just a thought.

2. korus

korus Senior Member

If you can hear it played unplugged, it is the guitar. Therefore, trying to find the solution down the signal chain is only masking it, not solving it. Electric components do not create the tone, they only transfer it and color somewhat, but do not change the overall character of primary = acoustic tone of the guitar. Which is the tone of that guitar. And chances are - it has that shimmer. Strum a chord unplugged while sitting with a guitar on your lap and while it lasts lean your ear on guitar body's side to hear it's tone while chord decays. Is there a shimmer? Therefore, it's the guitar.

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

The compressor sounds like a good recommendation, thanks darrell, ive got a strat to play with for the day and a quick go tells me the neck single or middle/Neck is where its at for this one, ill try a compressor out, soon as i save a lil coin.

PS The Custom BC jr has no shimmer at all acoustically but plugged in is a different story all together. I only tried vintage style pups in her though... and the SD Jazz you hear in the demo.

Getting closer... speakers and i reckon ill be 100% on the money, and hopefuly the compresor will help too ☺

4. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Just a lil update, i forgot the strings... so i swaped for some stainless and a little heavier on the unwounds, another step in the right direction.

Also a set of brass saddles did good, its all bloody connected, sometimes its good to take a step back.

Im also using the EQ to take out some low end on the heavy bits only, another win... until i learn to pick that low E softer... really working hard at this, but yeah the shimmer issue is getting less and less, thanks so much guys

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

You do know that stainless strings are brighter....?

Just asking since your OP was to lower the shimmer and brightness, that's why i was a little surprised at your choice of strings.

Vintage Nickle strings will be softer, more mellow and less edgy than stainless, just FYI.

That's what I use on my strat for just that reason.

Also if you've never tried flatwounds, they might be just what the doctor ordered.

Zero string buzz, smooth as silk and a very mellow non abrasive tone. Easy playing too!

Keep us posted!

Mookakian and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

If every pickup yields the tone you dislike, it's not the pickups. Period. From the pot and cap values in your guitar to your pedal setup and amp setup, something is multilying your high frequencies way too much. I find Mesa amps, stock, to be particularly hypersensitive to treble, and fix that by swapping in less-powerful (5751s, or even 12AU7s) preamp tubes, and then setting the tone controls really carefully. (Read the amp manual!). I also dial in my guitar pots and caps through testing and swapping, and have never failed to get an instrument where I want it to be. There's no reason for the PUs you mention to sound as wildly shimmery as you describe except for something off in the signal chain.

8. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Csnt swap tubes as the manual says i can only use this type... without modfing the amp. If i could id go grab a new head, in Oz thats about 2-4Grand...

9. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Its not brightness thats hurting me, its chimey articulated highs. I want snappy rounded highs

That PRS i mentioned had very little chime and thats whats making me search,

Mojotone Level Heads in bernie now:

Snip:

"Smooth and balanced without any ice picky highs or mushy lows. The low wound strings are super tight and clear with all screws while the high unwound strings are full and fat sounding with all slugs. Wound to that perfect sweet spot (not too hot, and not too weak) for amazing clarity and string definition that cuts through the mix."

High output but im just trying anything now.. didnt sleep, 6am... few hours and ill test em out but has a ceramic mag... prob going to fail, if so then ill swap an A8 or A5 in and see.

Its amazing, no one online anywhere touches the less chime factor... everyones hunting chime... nothing in the opposite

10. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

The overpowering frequencies are the low mids... with every bucker i have to use an EQ to drop the low mids and push the 62Hz a tad which seems to get rid of a little chime as well, but somethings lost with a pedal on, perhaps its time to sell the Source Audio and Boss EQs and grab n empress or WMD EQ.

With the few strats i dont need to drop the low mids but chime factor was worse.

11. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Would a brass baseplate help provide less chime? Maybe i could buy one and tinker with the Jazz

12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what characteristics of a pickup peovide less chime/presence? I dont mean to sound ungreatfull but no one has mentiined anything about the makeup of a pickup that has little chime/presence...

Thats all i really want to know, the other factors im working on too but im in the pickups lobby to get input on what causes less chime from a pickup...

Brass slugs/Steel/wood spacers/etc... what am i looking for?

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I Think i might just sell a kidney and make an offer on the old PRS soon

14. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

All right the level head is on par with the Jazz but clearer in a good way, still a bit too much chime, i think its time to bite the bullet, cancel the gig and buy a new amp, as you see ive tried lots of guitars and cant afford any more pickups on a whim.

And i dont believe another guitar is the answer...

20171011_080751.jpg

15. DarrellV

Nylon saddles would....

Thumpalumpacus and Mookakian like this.
  16. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Ok, i have a bad feeling my transformer is going... things seem to be getting worse and there is an odd noise coming from her now, not good. Also channel 2 has lost a lot of output. Off to canberra, which is quite a long way for me... hopefully just a power tube but i dod just swap them... maybe a dud one which has happened with a new preamp tube.

BUGGER

17. DarrellV

Dang dude! What did you do to p!ss the gods off? LOL! You seem to be getting hit with a string of problems..:shock:

Keep us posted, and best of luck! :)

18. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Yell me about it, its already been a rough run, i think it might just be under warranty, im 50 50 on that, ill dug up the reciept and bloody hope to heaven its covered.

At least im having a good one health wise... i feel well enough to drive a few hours so ill be packing the head and nervously traveling to pro audio where i bought her. Mesa tech is there so fingers x.

Knowing my luck the speaker cable is sus and warranty wont cover me, but the cable came with the amp and ive had suspicions from day 1 as there was always a big vol diff between clean and crunch, just assumed it was the nature of extra gain in the crunch circuit... replaced the tubes a few times and that helped, for a few months... prob shouldnt be burning out this quick so the buzzing transformer now is likely a sign shes not been in good health for a while.

Wish me luck guys, no fun at all when this stuff hits you and your too unwell to work... this amp is my saviour through hard times. Man i hope i can get it going again.

At least this would explain why im having so much trouble with woof and articulating freq.

Wish me luck guys, i really need it.

DarrellV likes this.
  19. DarrellV

You got it man!

She's not dead and toasted so it should be fixable no matter what it is....

You could seriously be on to the answer to your problems.

Ok, now you've got us hooked! Keep us updated!

Mookakian likes this.
  20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Pot and Cap values ,,might be an area to look at (their types have an effect even though some think not). Crappy Caps sound Crappy ....

I'll say i don't quite get the issue you're having and I didn't read every post in the thread, But , between what pup position your using and the harness itself along with the amps set up ....
    Tone knob ???
    Low output pups , ( 7.3K and less , imo do the best overall job ) ???? might get a result you like ... But anything is a compromise .
    IMO , chasing a recorded tone you've heard and getting it live ??? OK ....
    A rig only goes but so far . The player and how they play have a huge effect on tone . IMO that's the place to start .

Thumpalumpacus likes this.