Need info on this cheap Aria

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Les Paul Newb, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

IMG_8753.PNG IMG_8752.PNG Can you tell me anything about it?

2. southbound

southbound Junior Member

I Believe that this is a bolt on neck guitar and that they arent a actual carved top but a formed veneer archtop. These are usually mid 70s and were built by Matsumoku. The neck is very thin but these guitars can be setup and made very playable . The jap maxon pups are usually pretty hot like a dimarzio from the 70s and are hit n miss with possible microphonics. These were the guitars we all played in High School and are now becoming recognized as the decent all around gitz that now are finding guys collecting to re-live their childhoods. MATSUMOKU=GOOD

3. southbound

southbound Junior Member

100 bux with a case for a matsumoku is like a sore peetar ..
    . Ya cant beat it.....

4. Les Paul Newb

Thanks guys. That's great. I had to let go of a 70s matsumoku Univox custom copy with ohsc a few years back. Wish I kept it. So I'll grab this.

I also have 2 other MIJ that I need some basic info on. I hope I can just add them here, Without a new thread?

One is a 78' Ibanez pf 230, 3-pup black beauty copy in pretty good condition for $350.

The other, I can't tell bcus there's no headstock pic, but it's a very distinct because the neck inlays are pentagons (5 sided). Ever seen that?

5. southbound

southbound Junior Member

Cant help ya with the Ibanez or the other git but seems that the price on Ibanez/Hoshino/Gak probably isnt too bad or just about right. Let Reverb and fleabay be your price guide on what seems about right. I bought a real beat up Heater Co. Matsu for 30.00 once just to practice luithery skills on... it was bad bad shape . BUT It did have a set neck! Did a refinish and my first ever complete retfret and it is now a damn nice Custom Goldtop. Only thing that sucks was the hollow fake veener archtop and lightweight. I actually filled the void with epoxy resin and micro balloons and then re- routed the pickup cavity. Did a distressed lacquer finish and aged some new american hardware along with JB antiquity PAFs. Stained the rosewood dark like ebony after reshaping the fretboard with a compound radius jumbo fretwire , machined several new bridge saddle pieces due to my mistakes and the re-radius also added a dense bone nut. It looks like a Custom modded shaved lester from the 70s (think like a deluxe paf conversion done as a fully bound custom) with FAST skinny reworked neck. Looks kinda like a Bonnomassa. Very unique custom instrument with classic vintage conventional style. I would include pic but i am on the road.
    Some of these old Jap guitars really are the cats meow on the cheap if ya do a bit of TLC!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  6. Les Paul Newb

You just gave me a great idea. I've played guitar my entire life and I'm 33, but I've never once WORKED on a guitar past a setup.

I will take this opportunity to learn things like electronics swapping and fretwork. It's only $100.

Bonus: pic of the mysterious pentagon-inlay guitar.

IMG_8754.JPG

7. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

The Aria in the OP is a newer(mid 90s and onward) korean/chinese/indonesian guitar.
    Definitely not MIJ and definitely not Matsumoku made.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    GammyBird likes this.
  8. Les Paul Newb

Holy sheet. I thought that headstock looked WAY to modern, but I wasn't sure. So $100 may not be a deal huh?

The owner of the pentagon guitar says it a Hohner Rockwood pro.

9. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Couldn't say. I've only played/owned the japanese Arias.

10. southbound

southbound Junior Member

Yep, no better way to learn than hard earned experience.
    Well there it is right there.... one bonus about many of the newer asian gits is that they do have set neck instead of bolt ons. That is plus. Wood may or may not be mahaogony as many use basswood.
    No better way to learn than experience. You can read about it alot but it really cant compare until ya just do it. These budget guitars all can become playable. Intially your masterpiece might have a little personality or quirk that only you may find managable but as you go and find your way, the results get more and more consistient. You begin to recognize the the way all the little things add up and contribute to the whole bigger picture and how to manipulate some other thing to achieve a desired outcome elsewhere... you can recognize shotcomnings and appreciate the form and function of other things. Instruments are always a compromise and there will always be opprotunity to exploit or features that work for you but might for others. Its a personal thing. But as you gain skill and confidence you get more consistient and secure with your results.
    I was amazed how in some ways a refret wasnt as mysterious as I had once thought but in other ways it did require more skills than I thought I was prepared for.....e

11. southbound

southbound Junior Member

Me thinks a guitar project that comes with a hardshell case and especially if it has a set neck and can be made playable that costs only 100 is likely a good deal.
    Buy it fix it up and donate it to a struggling student or a local youth!

12. Les Paul Newb

Ok I bought it. He's the skinny:

Thin guitar. Body has a contour cut. One solid piece of wood with a carved top, no cap. Looks like maple, but idk. Bolt-on neck with 3 bolts & no plate. Nice, new hardshell case, not original.

IMG_8762.JPG IMG_8763.JPG IMG_8766.JPG IMG_8768.JPG IMG_8769.JPG IMG_8770.JPG IMG_8772.JPG IMG_8773.JPG IMG_8774.JPG IMG_8776.JPG IMG_8777.JPG IMG_8778.JPG

Attached Files:

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  13. Les Paul Newb

I should clarify,

When I said "1 solid piece of wood" I meant there's not a cap & back.

Also it should say "here's the skinny" not "he's".

14. Les Paul Newb

Also, if you see a small black smudge/shadow in the center of the pictures, it's my phone camera. Damn thing has something on the inside of the lense.

15. southbound

southbound Junior Member

Wow! That looks like a pretty cool guitar. Neck attachment kinda unique. Sorta hybrid. Three bolts in back but the long tenon when viewed from the pickup cavity.
    A 100 dollar special eh? I think that ya did pretty darn good. Alot bang for the buck. The orig. JAP/Matsu Aria Pro were pretty decent guitars
    I believe Leslie West played them and they had some artist endorsements too. Obviously the name was sold. Hopefully the Indonesian or Korea or wherever is doing the name justice. I noticed that there are korean Vantage branded guitars being sold too. I wonder if they are still cousins with Aria? The electronics look like old school jap crap wiring. Pots and tone caps, different pups and ya prolly good to go! The wood is solid wood and not a bunch of laminated sheets? The ridges or layers in the switch and main cavities looks like ply..... or is it just some sorta funky tool mark from the machine that routed it?

16. Les Paul Newb

Yeah it's tool marks. You can see the wood in the 2nd pic from the top. See how the grain runs all the way from the top down to the bottom of the pup cavity.

17. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

$100 you can't go wrong! Looks very nice!

18. jtbasketman

jtbasketman Junior Member

A lot of wood to wood contact in that neck joint. I would imagine it sustains better than a set neck and may have the snappy tone of a bolt-on? (I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are). Nice design to the tailpiece. Good upper fret access. Looks like a decent players guitar

19. Les Paul Newb

For anyone interested,

I found out that this is an "Aria pe std". these are newer guitars 2004 & up. Solid alder body & carved top, Maple neck, rosewood fb. There is no chambering or veneer, but it's very thin. Like a PRS, maybe thinner.

20. Les Paul Newb

It did sound good. But it was very cheap feeling. Even using solid, quality tonewoods like alder & maple.

Almost every bolt, nut, & screw was loose when I got it. I tightened them up. When I strung it with 10s it felt like too much tension for the guitar. The neck wasn't very stable. The 3-screw heelless joint is the main issue.

So, I sold it for $100 and kept the HSC. The case is new and fits LPs and strats, so that's cool.