Need help with finishing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dcomiskey, Sep 20, 2017.

1. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

So, I've been slogging away at a Gibson V replica since December, as time has permitted. Been a long slog, as it's my first build. Perhaps the biggest headache has been the finish. Too many mistakes to list. But, basically tried doing a candy red with white primer underneath, in order to get close to a KK Downing replica V. Anyway, I actually got to the point where I started applying the clear last week. However, in order to get some help on the frets this past wknd, I took the tape off the fretboard. Well, along the entire edge of the fretboard, on both sides, was a sharp lip where the primer and paint had built up. Long story short, I ruined the finish by trying to carefully scrape this edge away to make everything flush again. All I did was expose the primer and bare wood. I decided to look into sending it out to someone like Stike to do it right.

Anyway, my question (for future reference) is: how the heck do you avoid getting that edge when painting a neck???

Attached Files:

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I usually remove any masking when the lacquer is still soft, and i pull it away from the lacquered area rather than towards.

in your situation I would keep color coats to the minimum needed thickness to avoid having a big lip, heavily thinned to avoid any real film buildup, and clear coats cover it all

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I mask a little higher on the binding then scrape after colour coats if required. The colour coats should cover the seam between wood and binding. If there is a lip you should be able to scrape it off but as Chris says the colour coat should be relatively thin, or just plan on coming up higher and scraping.

Cheers Peter.