Need help with '60 LP Jr. D.C. P90 pickup hitting strings...

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by davidos, Apr 28, 2017.

1. davidos

davidos Senior Member

The high E polepiece of my newly acquired 1960 LP Jr. hits the string when the high E is played causing buzzing and a sitar sound. This is a vintage dog ear pickup and the polepiece is screwed as tight as it can go. My action is at 6/64 all around and I don't want to go higher...

Want it to know if there is a fix before I return the guitar....!
    thx!

2. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

Sometimes with these old guitars, it is what it is.

3. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

Sometimes the bridge has been adjusted very low to compensate for high action that is the result of an excessive bow in the neck. When the truss rod is adjusted to straighten out the neck, the action becomes too low at the upper reaches of the neck and the bridge needs to be raised. Just a thought.

Another possible fix would be to reduce the head height of the screw by undercutting the head on its underside. This will allow you to drop the screw down a little deeper. I would do this to a spare screw and tuck the original screw away for safe keeping. If you want to try this mod but you don't have the tools to do so, just let me know.

4. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

Maybe a refret with super jumbo frets?? New nut or raised old nut and raise the bridge.? Alternative might be to route the pickup cavity a little deeper but that might be frowned upon more than a refret/new nut.

5. tourmalet

tourmalet Member

I had the same problem and got a very clean rout done on the pickup, so that the plastic dogears sit flush with the body surface. But that was only on a 00s Nashville Junior. I think I would hesitate before getting a vintage Junior routed. But it is a very clean fix to the problem...

6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Sounds like the neck angle changed a bit. Is the tailpiece decked, just curious. There is always a fix but you might not like what's involved.