Need help mounting a P90 sized humbucker.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rocco Crocco, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

As you see, the P90 has two mounting screws in the middle of the pickup.

[​IMG]

I am installing a DiMarzio that has the mounting holes toward the outside, like so...

[​IMG]

The issue I see is that one of the screws to mount the pickup will go through the wiring channel, which is fairly deep. Similar to this (obviously this is a humbucker route, but the channel looks to be the same).
    [​IMG]

Is the right thing to do to glue a wood block in the channel, or try to get an extra long screw that will reach the bottom of the channel so I can grab some wood?

I don't have the pickup yet so I don't know how long the screws are that come in the package.

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Those are Humbucker routs on the guitar? If so, they won't be long enough, and too wide for the P90 sized humbucker. And if so, why would you get a p90 sized pickup to begin with?

3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I thought the same....but re-read and think he's just using the humbucker rout pic as a similar illustration.

You might have to play it by ear (sorry, bad and slightly obscure pun) when the pickup gets there. P90 screws are quite long usually, and may reach.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  4. Rocco Crocco

The pic is an example. I acknowledged that it is a HB route in the OP. The guitar in question is a Doublecut Special with P90s.

5. Rocco Crocco

Good to know. Hopefully they'll be long enough.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The issue I see is that for any extra bit of wood to not split when putting a screw through, it needs to have a certain dimension to it - so hopefully there is space to get wires around that. The second issue is that with a finish on the wood you would need epoxy for your glue.

The alternative is to find/fabricate a metal insert like the LP Tributes have. This would sit a machine screw thread at rout base depth rather than the channel.

7. Rocco Crocco

Actually there is already a metal insert in the route. There's no screw hole in the desired location now, though. Your post has me thinking... I wonder if I could just drill a hole ever so slightly smaller than the mount screws and let the screw tap the threads. I'm just worried I'd screw (pun intended) it up.

8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

9. Rocco Crocco

10. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

But the DiMarzio P90 humbucker mounting screw pitch is very close to those of a mini humbucker.

Good chance that 1/10th of an inch is not a problem ... in fact, some mini humbuckers are exactly the same dimension, so that mounting bracket could be a great solution to your problem.

The DiMarzio is 2.925”.

Cheers!

mux164 likes this.
  11. Rocco Crocco

Thanks chris and efstop... I will look into that bracket.

12. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

If you have a drill, bits and the skills to use them, why not just make a set of your own mounting brackets. You could start with a strip of 16 gauge sheet metal (considerably thinner than the Stewmac brackets)drill two holes to munt it to the guitar and two other holes to run some sheet metal screws into for the pickup screws. Simple/pimple, easy/peasy! Of course, you'd also need to know how to read/use a ruler!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene