Need advice on Strat-ish mod

Discussion in 'Fender' started by 61LPSG, Sep 16, 2017.

1. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    I have never been a Strat lover, but lately I've been playing my granddaughter's Mini Strat (yes really), and I can't believe how cool it is for a $90 guitar.
    So I digress. I want to know if a Floyd equipped super Strat sound close to a conventional Strat.
    I have an '83 Kramer Focus which is basically a MIJ ESP Pacer/Baretta copy. If I put in 2 single coil Strat pickups (neck/mid) will I get close to a REAL Strat sound?

I'd rather ask before I break out the router. I do have a Duncan APS II ? RWRP laying around. I mainly want the 3-4-5- position tones.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Alec

2. fett

fett Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

First. I bought a Mini loaded with SD Burstbuckers. Secondly. Fender pups are just what they are. One of the things about those in Floyded guitars is the pole spacing v strings.

3. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Well, possibly..

Is the Beretta scale length and number of frets the same?

The Fender neck pup sound relies a lot on being where it is in relation to the above mentioned points.

A 24 fret neck will move it down toward the bridge more.

And a shorter scale (ala Gibson) will change its tone a bit too.

But otherwise you should get pretty close. If you are not changing out the bridge the Floyd space won't be so much of an issue.

Should be close enough to work either way unless you are looking for spot on.. That's why I mentioned the above points.

I've built a few junk casters in my day, and finally got some 'real' ones a few years ago.

Have fun!

4. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

If its like this it looks pretty close fret and scale wise.
    [​IMG]

What do you plan to do for the switch? Are you putting a Strat pick guard on there too?

You could go rotary switch in the volume and lose the tone to put the volume there.
    [​IMG]

Or you could drill another hole in the middle...

61LPSG likes this.
  5. e44crowe

e44crowe Senior Member

Could be a cool mod. Do it! :)

6. space

space Senior Member

USA made 110.JPG Factory Floyd never saw another one like it

61LPSG likes this.
  7. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

I don't think the spacing will be an issue with the HB in the bridge position.
    I'm thinking a Strat pickguard and gotta have a 5 way switch. I laid a single coil in the neck pos. and it lines up pretty with the string... middle may be off a bit.
    Darrell, I like that 5 way rotary switch, and yes it looks like that pic.
    Scale lenght is 25 1/2" with 22 frets.
    I just found a good video on YoooooToooob of a FR Strat played clean, and it sounds close enough for me. I think I'll go for it.
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

8. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

That's cool :cool2:
    I bought the pink Squire Mini for my granddaughter about a year ago, and it's still here:facepalm:...she comes over on the weekends and just spins all the knobs- flicks all the switchs on my guitars.
    The Mini plays really well, and the fit/finish is excellent. It's made in Indonesia.

9. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

P1000048.JPG

This neck pup's been in there for years, but never wired,lol.

10. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Give it time. My youngest wanted a guitar, so I gave him a Strat for Winter Solstice when he was 7. It sat (except when I played it). He took up drums a couple years later, & I despaired.
    He got to HS, however, & decided he wanted guitar lessons; was playing ryhthm in a band within 6 months, and was way better than me not long after. He's 32 now; still mostly gigs on skins, but still has the Strat & still plays circles around me.