Need advice on maintaining my ES-175 properly

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SoCal Flood, Dec 13, 2018.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Just got my first es175. It’s a 2012 VOS ‘59 reissue. I’ve learned how to setup and maintain my LP and I’m hoping to do the same here.

I’m happy to report that overall it left the shop with a damn good setup. I love the action and the intonation is spot on. It’s god a dead straight neck with just about no relief which is how I like it. The strings are round 13-56 with a wound G.

I’d like any advice on how to keep this beautiful guitar in great shape for years to come. I’m all ears!

I have a few initial questions:

1) The wood bridge seems to be a bit dry. Actually the wood base of the bridge specifically. Wondering if I should apply a bit of oil? And if so can I just use the same Nomad F-1 oil I use on the fretboard?
    FB277DF9-2A55-4B8D-9691-FE58B49B8562.jpeg

2) It’s set up with round wounds. I am going to use the guitar for more than just jazz, are round strings more versatile? I know the answer is try a bunch, but just wondering from other’s experience. In addition to jazz I’ll be playing some blues on it. Stupid question, but if I try flats can I still use a pick, any downside?

3) if I try a lower guage such as 11s or 12s to make bending easier, will I need to adjust the the bridge and truss? Will they fit ok in the same nut and bridge slots? Same question if I try flats.

4) Since it’s a big hollow body does it need any special consideration for storage when I’m not playing? I normally keep my guitars out of their cases in my home hanging on Hercules guitars stands. They stay out of the direct sun in a temperature controlled room. I’m in Los Angeles so weather is pretty good.

Here she is!
    D7CE59E2-1F60-4AAD-80F6-70B8C1514397.jpeg

Attached Files:

garybaldy likes this.
  2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

1. Ues you can oil the rosewood bridge and base with the same stuff you use on the fretboard.

2. Strings are a personal preference, flat wounds are fine to use with a pick. They have a nice feel when sliding but I'm not a fan of the tone compared to conventional round wound, they seem mellow to me.

3. 11 or 12 gauge are thicker then the 10s that came on it. If you want thinner get 9s

4. It will be fine hanging on the wall as long as the humidity doesnt fluctuate too much.
    It will obviously be safer in it case though.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  3. SoCal Flood

Awesome info, thanks! I read that 10s came on it from the factory but it appears the store where I purchased it set it up with 13s. I’m used to playing 10s on my LP and boy are 13s hard to bend! I sure like the tones I’m getting though. I’ll probably just keep round 13s for a while until I get really antsy to try something else.

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

13s!
    They be putting that thing in drop c and chugging away :laugh2:
    I hope they didnt re notch the nut and saddles for those 13s.
    Putting some 10s on might require a truss rod adjustment, those 13s pull a lot more then 10s.

5. SoCal Flood

I’m taking it to my luthier tomorrow to give it a once over. I’ll ask him if it’s been re notched. Thanks bud

6. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Beautiful guitar!!!

7. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

beautiful guitar,
    its a jazz box, 13's are fine. A lot of jazz musicians prefer heavier strings than most would use. It doesn't mean you carn't put on any gauge you want, the only problem is, if someone has widened the nut slots. 3x3 headstocks pull the strings to the side of the slots so you might get away with the slots being too wide. Only way to find out is to put some light strings on it, tweek the truss rod if needed and hear how it sounds

I'd probably leave it as it is, playing acoustics a fair bit, 13's would'nt be an issue though I understand 13's are not for everyone. Again, awesome guitar, do what it takes to make it your own

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Nope, you can't put average light gauge strings on it with a plain G. Not with that bridge anyway. That bridge is cut for a wound G. And not all flatwounds are the same. Some sound surprisingly lively and even twangy. I would try a set of Pyramid round core flatwounds 11-48....that's with a wound 18. Or Thomastik-Infeld are great as well...they have a 10-44 flatwound set with a wound 18 if you really want to go light.

Oh yeah, but to answer the main question.....by far, the most important thing you could do would be to make sure it always lives in a controlled humidity. 45%RH is ideal. but if you can keep it at a constant between 40-50% you're golden.

WhiteEpiLP likes this.