Need a quick answer

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by navigate40, Oct 31, 2017.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Hi Everyone

Thinking about getting an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional II Pro. Alnico classic Pro and Probucker pickups. They are on sale now, ending in a day.

The spec states "Historic Les Paul body".... I take this to mean there is no modern weight relief. An LP without this could be 12 lbs. My recent Gib LP Gold top is about 8.8 lbs.

The Epi shipping weight is 10 lbs, so might be OK (either weight relieved or an epi body that is thinner and thus less weight?). SO...the question is... does anyone have one and can tell me the exact weight of this?

I realize this is trivial to most, but, I have muscle pain in my upper right arm, and my new LP is about the max weight for an axe that I want to have.

I really would like much lighter. Have been looking at the Florentine, but, the Ocean Blue color is just stunning.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
    John

2. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Quick look at the site shows the Epiphone Traditiona PRO (not the II), same description and specs.... at 8.35 lbs. That would be good. Might the be the same?

Also...looks as though this model does not have a maple cap? Which is fine. It would be a second guitar (sort of everyday play, back up).

3. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I don't understand it, but my solid body Epi weighs about the same as my ultra double secret probation weight relief Gibson Les Paul Standard (a little over 8 pounds). I think Epi just uses different wood...

4. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

maple caps are super heavy. epis use a veneer. it saves quite a bit of weight.

paruwi and Gold_topped like this.
  5. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Thanks for the quick replies. Makes a lot of sense and appreciate the info.

Can barely resist a $399 price point (GC), but think I may stick to the plan for getting the Florentine model. Less weight and duel probuckers. Would be a good addition to the Gib LP, whereas the Trad Pro would be much more similar to it.

We shall see. Great deal, at that price, and in the Ocean Blue color.

Pop1655 likes this.
  6. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Ahh yess, that's what it is. I was having a hard time thinking that the mahogany on my epi is THAT much lighter

7. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I have the Florentine (see avatar). It is 7 lbs and kicks ass. It's my main gigging guitar.

navigate40 and Pop1655 like this.
  8. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Really appreciate the help. I decided to get the Epi LP Florentine. I already have a Gib LP and want another axe that is semi hollow as well as lighter. Have a strat that I put P90's in that scratches that itch :). Had thought of a 335 or Sheraton, but, while those are great, they are not lighter and I really like the size of the LP. The Florentine seems ideal.

Really great deal on the Trad Pro (ends in 14 hrs)...but....it does not fill a different niche for me. Just attracted to that Ocean Blue.

Happened across a deal on an Epi LP Florentine last night and.... BOUGHT IT. Somehow, google gave me a 15% discount from Musician's Friend. So....took it. Will see if it works.

Rocco - great to hear that you love your Florentine. Seems a great axe. Slightly different semi hollow construction ...routed mahogany with a solid maple top [corrected from earlier] (had considered the ES LP...but it is laminated maple all around.. like all the ES semi hollow bodies) I tend to think the solid block and solid mahogany help sustain (my LP has amazing sustain). Almost 2 lbs lighter than my Gib LP... hard to have to admit ...but...this makes a difference to me. Two probuckers with coil splitting....reports are that these are very good sounding (there seem to be people who gig with them).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. navigate40

navigate40 Member

10. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Epiphones weight about the same as the real deal from the fifties, even with solid maple cap and no chambering. Modern Gibsons are chambered to get them below 10 pounds.
    So yes the Epiphones may be made of different mahogany - the question is different to what? :D

11. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

My 2010 wine red Traditional Pro weighs 8.2 pounds. Fattest neck of my 6 Lesters.

12. stiff fingers

stiff fingers Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

If you could find one priced right a Les Paul Less weighs in at under 7 pounds.

13. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

Know I'm late to the game here, but my 2014 Epi LP Trad Pro weighs exactly 8 lbs. 9.8 oz. Thinnest neck I've ever played.

14. navigate40

navigate40 Member

Thank you!

My Gib LP Trad T Gold Top, bought recently, weighs about 8.8-8.9 lbs.

Just pulled the trigger on a new Epi LP Florentine, wine red. It will be great to have. Interested in the sound of the Probuckers, coil splitting and should weigh in at about 7.2 lbs. That will be nice to have.

Interesting aside....saw a great deal, 15% off via google shopping. Placed the order...which should have gone to MF. But, no word from MF. TODAY...saw an ad on GC...25% off wine red! Called MF...they do not have the order. Hmmmm.... well having them look to see and cancel...if they find it. Email to google to cancel. Bought one via GC...which is my preferred, since there is one near me and if there is anything wrong...I can just drive over and give it back.

So....we shall see. Might have two inbound :). One for sure!

We shall see. whew.

15. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

.....and it saves money