Neck Impact on Beloved SG

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by XTN, Jan 2, 2018.

1. XTN

XTN Senior Member

My favorite guitar was knocked off its stand into something hard and metallic. I won't say who did it, but I will say she learned her lesson (to the point where she bought me a replacement).

Nice crater behind the 14th fret. Photos below.

Okay, it's mostly cosmetic. My hand rarely touches that part of the neck, but it kills me. This specific piece of wood and I have spent many an hour together. Our souls touched.

A little clear nail polish? Can it be filled and polished by a professional? It's a run of the mill war wound, but part of a bigger issues involving domestic partnerships, where certain chairs live and, naturally, my OCD.

Today is the first time I've had the heart to really look at it.

IMG_6945.JPG IMG_6946.JPG

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Whatever clear you put on of course you will see the damage just as clearly (excuse the pun).

Being black even a fill with colour then some clear will be visible as a blob as that colour shows any imperfections in the base. The only way I can think of that might satisfy a high OCD condition is a neck refin.

XTN likes this.
  3. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

You could drop fill that.
    If you don't mind seeing it, but don't want to feel it, use CY (super) glue.
    Or build it up with CY and, when it's close to level, drop fill with black nitro enamel which, BTW, can be easily bought in any drugstore in the nail polis section.
    Then start sanding finer and finer until you get to rubbing compound and hand glaze.
    Someone experienced could make this repair difficult to see.
    Especially while you're playing it ;)

XTN and bungle like this.
  4. XTN

XTN Senior Member

Not feeling it would satisfy me and be money well spent. It's that hesitation while sliding down that slick neck where the subconscious wonders if they'll run over the metaphorical pot hole that eats away at me.

She literally bought me a new one as a fix (I asked her not to). Lovely solution, but I love this specific one and have no relationship with what FedEx is running around with.

Thank you both for the help. Matching black is never fun. White is worse. Ever try it with tile?

5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

bah....easy fix

invisible

Kinghat and fumblefinger like this.
  6. WezV

WezV Senior Member

Start with a black epoxy filler.

Refinish if needed. Or just carry on with life and play the thing. A well played guitar picks up signs of use, including the odd accident .

If it was natural I would be suggesting it gets steamed out first. It can do wonders, but often leads to a bit of finish work

7. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

OR you could just fill with Stew Mac black CA, level and buff.