NDGD (New Damaged Guitar Day) - Return or Keep with Discount?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 2manyGuitars, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

And Who, you were right...

VerbalPuke, Byron999 and Who like this.
  2. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Regular finish blemishes, nicks, and or dings are no problem. That crack at the heel would have me concerned. I'd exchange that one.

3. 2manyGuitars

Will have a NGD thread shortly but the update is...

Old one went back Saturday. New one shipped out yesterday, arrived today. Looks great, feels great.

I'll also have a thread about bringing rosewood over the border (CITES restrictions went into effect for all 300 species of RW as of January 2017).

Kaicho8888 and Who like this.
  4. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

2many,

You may have noticed that I posted a thread on the Luthier's sub-forum about this situation, and you may want to look at it. I personally thank all those luthiers who responded, but I am not sufficiently satisfied to use their methods of "yanking, twisting, and bending the neck" to see if the crack would move or not -- especially on a brand new guitar. How many pounds of force do you use for this "test"? A strong man can break a perfectly good neck on an SG half trying! And if the glue joint had been compromised in shipping, there's a good chance that this test method could cause a total break -- then where would you be in your efforts to return it? I was hoping I would hear of some scientific method such as X-Ray or some sort of test using vibration. These apparently don't exist.

You did the right thing, brother!

Byron999 likes this.
  5. nicholas322

nicholas322 Junior Member

Send it back so fast it will make their heads spin. There is no such thing as a finish crack. It's a crack!

yamariv likes this.
  6. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Not everyone in the luthiers forum is a luthier.

Bemis and Mule Trane like this.
  7. RufusTelestrat

RufusTelestrat Senior Member

Send it back, then turn yourself in to the customs police. Then turn yourself into the Gibson police. Then get your new guitar and smuggle it into Canada. (US only with Nafta still in place? Hmm) Plug in and enjoy.
    R

Blushingmule likes this.
  8. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

The X,

I did not know that those who answer questions on the luthier sub- forum might not be a luthier -- or even a tech. I am neither, and thus I only ASK questions there. But you ARE a luthier in my book, as you build guitars. What do you think about a crack like the one here, after the guitar had been manhandled in shipping?

9. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

My thoughts exactly, and the crack appears wider toward the back of the body, which indicates that the neck has tilted forward. If it has tilted forward, you're never going to get the action right. It's unfortunate, but honestly I wouldn't take it for free.

10. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

No reflection on your post at all. Sorry, just an observation.

11. lespaul1648

lespaul1648 Junior Member

zZounds are selling those new for $1169. Send that back and just get a new one. Or hell.....check out Guitar Center and the used gear they have. You can get a Gibson SG in mint condition for $800.

12. 2manyGuitars

If you look
    Did buy it from Zzounds. If you look a few posts back, you'll see I did return it for a new one. They gave me a brand new one for the price of a blem (a $170 difference). Here's the NGD thread...

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/ngd-finally-crossed-pelham-blue-off-of-my-bucket-list.396207/

pbsg04.jpg

pbsg03.jpg

HearHear, Thumpalumpacus, SFK and 6 others like this.
  13. Chascat

Chascat Premium Member

that looks like a return to me.

kevinpaul likes this.
  14. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

Personally I would first test it simply by playing and bending the neck in both directions. If it sounds like a Bigsby, it's good. If it sounds like a Floyd...send it back. I am exaggerating but somewhat serious too. If it tests OK, I would keep it but only if the discount is BIG enough. Not for a few dollars. I did buy an SG about a month ago, the neck joint was similarly damaged, and it was obvious that it moved. As I tightened the strings the guitar still played OK but the string height (action) got progressively higher....so it was quite obvious the neck was moving. Good luck.

kevinpaul and 2manyGuitars like this.
  15. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

You bought a new guitar so get a new guitar. You probably planned for this event and thought went into it. Don't settle for anything less. Go big or stay home.

2manyGuitars likes this.
  16. gfugate1

gfugate1 Junior Member

FYI, I own 4 Gibsons and have a SG that goes to practice, gigs and gets beat (light weight), Is pretty much my go to guitar that I dont have to worry about too much about (pre-dented and scratched). it has been through some hard use.
    I play all the Gibsons as much as I can, and none of them have any cracks at the neck joint.
    Have bumped a few head stocks pretty hard too.
    To only crack one side would indicate a side impact. ;)
    The box it came in looks like it may have been wet at one point?
    If it was a bolt on neck You probably wouldn't even know?
    It would probably be ok but who knows what the glue will do after 10 years or so being exposed to moisture?

17. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Once those knuckleheads sent me a les paul hard case I didn't even order and had the balls to charge my credit card on file with them. Once I got my bill and saw they charged me I read them the riot act. They apologized profusely refunded my charge and asked if it was ok that I kept the case for free. I thought about it for a second and told them I would do them that favor and keep the case

Lefty Adams and 2manyGuitars like this.
  18. nauc

nauc Senior Member

cool man. make sure you check the new one over real good for any problems

HNGD!

19. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Crack is BAD News!

20. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt Junior Member

A finish crack is more likely to be random; but this is a long, straight crack right along what appears to be the neck joint. For a $1K Gibson, I wouldn't take a chance on this. You may live remote from a good luthier, but if you have one nearby getting an expert opinion will help you decide.

Good luck with this,

Doug