NDG! Postmodern Journey Relic Telecaster

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Maple Top, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Maple Top

Maple Top Junior Member

So I was on the lookout for a Tele while on vacation in the States. To be more specific a Fender Custom Shop reissue, but actually my only demand was for it to be a maple necked custom shop Tele. So I try all the 51 Nocasters 52 Teles, 55's, 67's and postmodern Tele's that I track down on the west coast. I got to compare some of them with a relative's certain 1966 Tele that I personally think has the "benchmark" tele sound and feel. Unfortunately I didn't find any reissue that ticked all the boxes. They were either to awkward to play for me, with too large profiles and small vintage fretwire, OR they didn't sound right to my ears, often too brittle on the top end, or too "boomy" on the low end, with a sort of "metallic twang" that I didn't like. So I found and bought this postmodern Tele that I did it for me personally. mid 60's neck that feels familiar and confidence inspiring, and with all the sweet Tele from the light ash body and twisted tele pups. More natural and "woody" tone characteristic and VERY glassy sounding :) It's pretty light at around 6.9 pounds, and I've been enjoying it a lot! I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to guitars, so I never thought I would buy Tele with the funky RSD bridge and the slick "easy access" neck joint, but this guitar just felt and sounded right. Only thing is when I compare it to my girlfriends American Special Tele with the Texas Special pups, my new postmodern has very little low end to it, and very little output on the neck pup in comparison, even though it still comes out clearer and dynamic than the American Special...

Attached Files:

2. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

Congrats on your tele. Looks great.

What kind of PUs are in your tele? My CS tele (2011 53 heavy relic) came with vintage 50s and modern wiring and my neck PU isn't weak at all. Very well balanced set with plenty of low end. Maybe try adjusting the height of your PUs first to see if that helps.

Maple Top likes this.
  3. Maple Top

Maple Top Junior Member

They are the "Twisted Tele" pickups. Neck reads 5.9 and bridge is 10.5 so it's just a much lower output pickup in the neck I guess. I will try adjusting though ;)

4. Falconbill

O I C. From what I've heard, the TT neck pickup needs to be raised up pretty high to sound it's best.

Maple Top likes this.
  5. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

Pickup setup is critical for any Tele, regardless of the pickups. That's why so many shy away from them, they've played one or two that sounded like shit(which is easily achievable), and decided it's not for them.
    Balancing one is an art, and playing one is an even greater art, because the controls are everything.

Very nice guitar!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Maple Top likes this.
  6. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Beauty

Maple Top likes this.
  7. Maple Top

Maple Top Junior Member

I have tried adjusting the neck pickup for maximum output, but because of the way the guitar is setup (got it setup by a pro just after purchasing it) the high E string started buzzing on the pup, and afterwards the A and low E when I brought up the other side of the pickup. I lowered it a little again, but I'm still short on output and getting a little buzz too :( This is my first Tele, so I'm a total novice when it comes to stuff like this. I tried googling and watching videos on the subject but I just can't find any useful tips, others than the measurement on the Fender setup ruler-type tool that dictates 3/32" on bridge and 1/8" on neck, which seems fine on the bridge, but too far away on the neck... any advice?

8. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

The Telecaster is a harsh mistress. The pups will never balance to the same output between settings, nature of the beast. Don't know where you're trying to go with the tone.

Maple Top likes this.
  9. Falconbill

You could try lowering your bridge PU to balance the output with your neck PU.

Maple Top likes this.
  10. Maple Top

Maple Top Junior Member

I could indeed, but the trouble is that the bridge sounds like perfection at the current height. I'm just gonna have to live with the neck pups being low output and generally less loud, in exchange for that sweet, breathy, glassy and open tone you get from it. I just can't stop playing this guitar though!