NCD - Mission Engineering GM-Io

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Vortex, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

It is a tad bit dark sounding but I was able to adjust the EQ on the output of the Kemper so that it matched the sound that was coming out of Studio Monitors. It does the FRFR thing really well while giving you that "amp in room" feel. It also looks so awesome. I play in a 60s' cover band so the vintage look it has was definitely attractive to me.

AmpedUp, frankv and mdubya like this.
  2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Thanks for the visual. That helps me more than the dimensions given on their site. However, I don't think I could fit it in my trunk.

I just did a test pack in my car. The MB won't fit either. I may have to live with my pine EVs a bit longer................

3. NotScott

Thanks for the offer! I am in Hollywood. Perhaps you, Frankv and me can bring some goodies and rent some space at Markee for a couple hours. It would be an interesting show and tell for the board.

Message me if you're interested.

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I agree. They look the business! I would assume that Friedman sorted out any problems they may have had. I listen to Dave on Tone Talk on youtube fairly regularly. He doesn't ever mention the FRFR cabinet. And he is very tight lipped about modeling, too. You can tell that is not his passion. He doesn't flat out dis modeling, but... :lol:

As always, you guys inspired me to go play between posts! :dude:

1959 SLP with the 335.

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  5. NotScott

Dave sure knows how to make a Marshall rip so I can understand his angst. :dude:

Playing? What's that? Everyone knows we spend more time typing than picking on this site. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

6. NotScott

Speaking of playing, the Kemper is killing it with these two:

[​IMG]
    That Goldtop has 1952 P90s in it. It sounds glorious through my 64 AC30 but it's very finicky with my other amps. I plug it into the Kemper and it's just the shiznit with just about any profile! I swear it hums less too, and I don't use the noise gate on the Kemper.

As for the Strat, all my Strats sound great whatever I plug them into. The Kemper just gives me more options for greatness. :dude:

Tomorrow may be 335 and Tele day!

7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I like the idea Scott. I have an Atomic CLR in CAB form that is not made anymore that i'll bring. My XiTone is in use right now. Of course I can cart over my AXE FX. But i think it will spoil you. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    NotScott and AmpedUp like this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I am happy to see that after two years of me screaming from the top of the forum you are finally seeing some light with this stuff.. :)

NotScott and AmpedUp like this.
  9. frankv

Well, as usual. Your review is magazine quality bro. I'm pretty impressed...

Vortex, mdubya, AmpedUp and 1 other person like this.
  10. NotScott

Yeah, I am pretty happy with the Kemper as being a part of my lineup. I am not at the true-believer point of forsaking all other amps and trying to evangelize the heathens, but I am honest about what works and doesn't work for me and don't mind sharing my personal observations if it can help a brother out. :yesway:

mdubya, AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  11. NotScott

We should meet up with Erodr133 and compare notes. I think it would make for an epic thread.

mdubya, AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  12. frankv

We can plan it anytime. You can teach me some of those blues licks you show off. hahahah

13. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

You let me know when and where!

14. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I only played the wedge through my Helix so whatever difference there is I truly couldn't say. I just liked the 'unflavored' sound of the wedge if that makes any sense. Not that the MB sounded bad. From what I understand it is tweaked a bit different as per MB request. The person who played the MB through a Fractal rack thing also preferred the wedge.

Being FRFR-less for the next few weeks I plugged the Helix into a pair of Mackie CR3 monitors I got on sale about a month ago. Turns out to be a nice little stereo practice rig.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    mdubya likes this.
  15. NotScott

Thanks for that but for my gigs, I am sticking with my EV loaded pine boxes for now. I received my RA for the Mission and spoke to one of my favorite cabinet makers about a custom 1x12 for one of my EVs. The tweed cab sounds great but I want something with a bit more low end, a bit taller and more Marshall-looking. Reviews will be coming in about 3 weeks.

Vortex and frankv like this.
  16. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I guess it doesn't mater at this point but I found this on the Helix forum about the MB cab EQ settings.

1. straight FRFR (for original open back only design)
    2. FRFR Tweaked FRFR EQ for Michael Britt
    3. straight FRFR (EQ better suited for the closed back operation added by our custom removeable panel convertible version)
    4. FRFR using only the 12" woofer (coaxial horn driver disabled)
    5. 12" woofer only acting pretty much like a guitar cabinet.

NotScott likes this.
  17. NotScott

Thanks for that. I am sure the MB is a nice sounding cab, but I need something smaller and lighter. I am sure Mission or someone else will take the concept of the IO and make it gig worthy. Until then, I am happy with what I have.

18. NotScott

Vortex and frankv like this.