NCD - Mission Engineering GM-Io

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Vortex, Dec 9, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

^^^^ It might be worth giving the I/O another try sitting it on a chair if it has only been on the floor to this point. You never know...:hmm:

Vortex and frankv like this.
  2. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Not much of an assessment but I hope it helped. I'll see about doing a dry run so to speak. I'll give the chair a shot.

mdubya likes this.
  3. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I re-read & got 'stock' patch after I already did this one. It's the same patch as my previous clip. I turned off the fx & left the amp/cab settings the same. Or so I thought, I use 2 cabs (both stock) one of which has a very slight reverb on it.

https://soundcloud.com/195db-5150/me-dry-clean-121717-428-pm

mdubya likes this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That sounds very natural and sweet to me. Much more like a "real" amp, to me, than the previous clip. What did you think?

5. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Yeah it's not a bad sounding cab. I played for an hour or two last night, just left it clean-ish. It sounds much better in the room. Clips sound a bit darker than what I'm hearing live. But since I'm still undecided & flip-floppy about it's probably best to move on.

mdubya likes this.
  6. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Update: I did send the cab back. Just wasn't getting the sound I wanted.

mdubya likes this.
  7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

See if you can find a XiTone

saks, Vortex, AmpedUp and 2 others like this.
  8. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

[​IMG]

frankv and mdubya like this.
  9. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter V.I.P. Member

Fight it if they must... hahahahaha

AmpedUp likes this.
  10. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

The Mrs. did buy me one of these for Christmas and like Vortex, mine is also going back. It gets many things right but, falls short in some very important ways.

First, the good:

1) It is small and lightweight
    [​IMG]
    2) If you want a backline or a sidefill, it looks cooler than a PA cab.
    3) It is extremely quiet. I had no noticeable hiss or noise running the volume up full tilt on the cab.
    4) It will get surprisingly loud and full for such a small package.
    5) It has enough detail and resolution at low to medium levels to hear the finer details in each profile.
    6) It loves Strats and Teles.

As for the bad:

1) As it gets cranked up to loud stage levels, the details begin to smear and it begins to sound boxy.
    2) Look at this volume control below the two , gold RCA jacks:
    [​IMG]
    yes, it sticks out above the back plane of the cabinet. That may be OK if it never leaves a studio or a bedroom but on the road, I guarantee you it will break off before the 3rd gig, road case or not.
    3) It's warmer tonality works well for bright guitars used in more vintage settings. The Mission wouldn't be my 1st choice for any metal, punk or other style that requires a raw, edgy tone, particularly if it has to be loud.
    4) A few posters on other sites identified this unit as using a coaxial driver like the well-regarded Gemini series. Sweetwater stated in one of its ads that it was a coaxial driver. It is not. It uses a 12" neodymium woofer and a 1" compression driver on a circular horn mounted to the top and right of the woofer.

I compared the Mission to my Meyer HD-2 studio monitors and my tweed Deluxe extension cabinet loaded with an EVM 12S.

Compared to the Meyer, the Mission was noticeably smearing details in the upper mids. Considering the Meyer is one of the finest reference monitors ever made, that is not surprising. The warmth of the Mission was noticeable and made my guitars sound more natural. However, that warmth tends to get in the way as the volume is cranked up and I found myself appreciating the clarity and detail of the Meyer as it was turned up.

I confess, I LOVE my EVM 12S drivers for guitar sounds that are primarily preamp driven. They have a smooth high end, a detailed, textured midrange, tons of tight bass and are practically indestructible. The more well-known 12L was a dedicated guitar loudspeaker, with a mid-high bump to provide some projection. The 12S, was designed as a sound reinforcement loudspeaker for use in PA boxes so, it was designed to be a bit more neutral, which works to my advantage when I drive it with my powered Kemper and turn off the cab emulation.

Compared to the EV loaded pine cab, the Mission was noticeably lacking in textured mids. The Mission just sounded too smooth, too polished and too processed. Through the EV with a little EQ, my guitars had that detailed, textured, complex mid range that I love. Perhaps that is more a function of the miced cab in the Kemper profile but, with just a slight boost of the presence control on the Kemper monitor output EQ, I was able to get more detail out of the EV than I was able to get out of the Mission before it got ragged and harsh. Where the Mission gets garbled as it gets louder, the EV stays just as tight and detailed at any level. Granted, I am not a fan of using a synthesized miced tone for my stage monitoring, but I expected more from the Mission based upon the Gemini reviews and clips I heard and particularly after one guitar magazine reviewer claimed the IO achieved the highly elusive amp-in-room tone and feel. I didn't hear it or feel it.

Aside from the above, I think the Mission is a great idea from a size and style point of view, but the execution doesn't deliver on the promise. If it was a $600 cabinet, I could see it being of value for small gigs that don't require a raunchy style and for meeting strict travel requirements but, at $899, I think the IO is considerably over-priced for what it delivers, particularly compared to its competitors.

I am not giving up on the FRFR concept just yet. I want to try a Xitone Michael Britt 1x12 convertible back if I can verify some dimensions. It may JUST fit in my pack but at over 40 pounds, I am not sure I am gaining any advantage over my EVM-loaded pine cabs.

Brother Frankv, are you listening to me? :wave:

frankv, AmpedUp, mdubya and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Stinks that you pretty much had the same experience I did. I spoke w/ Mission & they said the cab is not really made for 'in your face'. They suggested the Gemini's for that. But they are a bit more.

I demo'd the Xitone wedge next to the GM-Io & listened to the Britt. I preferred the wedge. And well I've said to much already... :naughty:

mdubya, AmpedUp and NotScott like this.
  12. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

NotScott, Have you considered the Friedman ASC-12? I'm super happy with mine. The only drawback I find is the weight. But once it's on casters, it's a piece of cake.

NotScott likes this.
  13. NotScott

I think it is a "good" cabinet, but for $900 it better be great and it is not. The Geminis I heard sounded great but I think they are overpriced compared to Xitone and Redsound.

How would you compare the sound between the Xitone wedges and MB? I have no need nor desire for wedges. If I need wedges, I will have the monitor engineer put me in them. I would rather go IEM.

mdubya likes this.
  14. NotScott

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at Friedman models but two things I heard about the Friedman FRFRs that keep me away from them are that their amps are noisy and they are HEAVY! Also, I like the idea of a concentric driver, particularly for a guitar specific monitor.

Check out these videos from Redsound:

I think these sound great and they are priced comparably to the Mission. It is what I hoped the Mission would sound like. If they weren't too deep to fit in my trunk, I would have had one of them by now.

Oh well, the search continues. In the meantime, my tweed EV cabinet is kicking ass and taking names. :headbanger:

AmpedUp likes this.
  15. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

My Friedman, is not nosy at all. It's very quiet in fact. However, it is super heavy.

AmpedUp and NotScott like this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I would love to hear a real tone review from one of our own.

Something made me think they were a little bit dark sounding. Not sure where I got that idea. Also, I never heard an impressive demo.

The Wedge stands on end and functions as a straight 1x12 if you want it to. You can't tell it is a wedge from straight on. I think the Friedman is similar.

I believe the one I got from Frank has a Matrix power amp with 3 settings; FRFR, Flat - no tweeter, and straight 12" driver - not flat.

I am trying to stick with the full FRFR mode. But the other modes sound good, too.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    NotScott and AmpedUp like this.
  17. NotScott

That is a thought. They are coaxial designs so you won't have coverage issues standing it on end. You may lose a bit of low end standing it on its end but that can easily be compensated for in the output EQ.

:hmm: You have me thinking now......

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  18. NotScott

The noise issue I read on some forums. However, I read on some forums about the IO being a coaxial design too. :doh: Maybe my local GC has a Friedman FRFR I can try? :hmm:

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It seems to have less high end at the volumes I play (fairly quiet). But proximity and placement could affect that. And as you say, it can all be compensated, regardless.

Here, it sits as a wedge. There are rubber feet on the right side. The red handle is on top as a straight cabinet.

[​IMG]

Champ, QSC K8, and Marshall 1936 2x12 for scale. :p

AmpedUp and NotScott like this.
  20. Erodr133

Erodr133 Senior Member

If you're in South Florida, you're more than welcome to try out mine!

AmpedUp likes this.