NCD - Mission Engineering GM-Io

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Vortex, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

The ME GM-Io arrived today. It's light, compact & seems solid. I've only played it about an hour so not much to say yet. When I first fired it up it sounded very mid heavy. Of course that's probably my settings. I figure before I start screwing around with those, I'll start a new preset from scratch. It seemed like a lot of the amps sounded that way. But after some tweaking I got a decent clean tone. It's a work in progress. I went back to my original presets & they seemed to sound better for some reason. I think it will be a nice little cab once I get it dialed in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to the EV ZXL-12P
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CaptainT and AmpedUp like this.
  2. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Congrats!

3. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I like it! It's giving me ideas! I've already got most of the wood cut for one almost the same size. The smaller one on the right.
    [​IMG]

Vortex and frankv like this.
  4. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

I have been looking for something this size for my Kemper. Can you post any sound clips or point me to any? I haven't found any yet. Thanks.

AmpedUp likes this.
  5. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I haven't found any either. Just took the chance & got one. I'll get some clips this week. I'm still learning the tips & tricks for creating patches & how to get the most out of the Helix LT but the cab is sounding good.

AmpedUp likes this.
  6. NotScott

Thanks V!

It is close to Christmas and the Mrs. has been asking what I want but, I am hesitant to see her spend $1K on something that I may end up selling after only a few hours use.

Vortex and AmpedUp like this.
  7. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I know what you mean. Most people have a honeymoon phase w/ new gear. I pretty much hate everything I get... initially. Mission had a black Fri sale which made it a little easier to justify rolling the dice. Keep an eye on their sight. Maybe they have another sale before Xmas.

ttbit likes this.
  8. NotScott

Maybe someone will post some clips before Christmas?;);)

Vortex likes this.
  9. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Great! Congrats!

Maybe there is a global EQ in the Helix? You could dial that in for the use with the cab, so you wouldnßt have to Remake all your patches.

Have fun with it, my Alto TS212 will arrive this week to be paired with my Headrush, too, I am very looking forward to it XD

frankv and Vortex like this.
  10. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Congrats! I'm gonna get one of these after the holidays, I'm really looking forward to it.

frankv and Vortex like this.
  11. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Here some clean sounds. The first section is neck, 2nd is bridge for comparison, the last two are both neck. I'm no recording engineer but I used a Audix I5 mic about 1" away from the center of cab. It does sound a bit more bassy than in the room. (My apologies to all the AT fans for the last section :cool:)

https://soundcloud.com/195db-5150/me-sound-clean-121517-537-pm

ttbit, NotScott, frankv and 1 other person like this.
  12. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

the neck pup in particular sounded very pretty! does the cab have a lot of volume/headroom?

13. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

There seems to be. I used it at rehearsal the other night w/o issue. I think I had the vol on the cab between 1/2-3/4 & the Helix around 1/2, maybe a bit more. This was the first time so I was tweaking all night.

14. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You seriously need to come over my house

15. NotScott

Yeah, I do.

That sounds really good and never an apology needed for any Timmons!:dude:

I thought I was getting rid of gear...................

frankv likes this.
  16. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

I'm going to return the GM-Io. Just not for me. If anyone is interested pm me. I'll make you a deal on it. I won't lose as much $ on it that way.

17. NotScott

What don't you like about it? I just added it to the Mrs' Christmas shopping list.

18. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

It's one of those things that's tough to put into words. For me, I'm not getting the sound I want out if it. Not that it's bad. In fact I had a few people listen and they liked it. But it's not 'wowing' me. In fairness the EV ZLX12P doesn't really 'wow' me either. Also not bad. Maybe it's my patches since I'm still learning that as well. I know this doesn't really give you a definitive answer you're looking for.

mdubya likes this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

@Vortex thanks for your honest assessment. It is much appreciated and helpful.

This one gets my interest, due to being able to dial it in. Demos sound very good, too.

https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/amplifier/gemini-wedge/?v=7516fd43adaa

[​IMG]

I would be interested in hearing a stock patch with FX turned off (aka dry), through your I/O.

I also find, even with the XiTone, orientation of the cabinet changes its sound. With the XiTone, it sounds different tilted back as a wedge than it does upright as a cabinet.

The QSC I have is the same in that regards; it sounds different on its side than it does upright.

Curious stuff.

Vortex and frankv like this.
  20. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes. What you describe regarding position of the Cab. Atomic has a 3 position switch that changes the EQ slightly based on it's position. The switch has Back line, Tilt and Pole. I suppose the Crossover circuit changes based on the switch.

Vortex and mdubya like this.