NBGD (New Broken Guitar Day) !

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by DaveSG, Dec 7, 2017.

1. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

I haven't owned an actual left-handed guitar in quite some time. Usually I just flip a right-handed SG upside down and throw on a new nut and play around with intonation.

When I saw this guitar I couldn't resist.

When I opened the case, here is what greeted me -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And upon closer inspection -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whoa....

J/K I knew it was busted before I got it:applause:

Its going to make a great live show guitar to throw around. It has some great character, a nice 50s/60s hybrid neck that is pretty comfy, covered in checking (and only a '99!) so no touchup. It going to wear all its battle scars with pride. My other battle axe, a '70 SG Standard, also bears the same headstock scar. Headstock breaks don't scare me.

Getting fixed tonight. Updates to follow.:cheers2:

WMHaze, kasu, Hope and 9 others like this.
  2. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

That shit'll buff out!

HNGD!

BWOTW, Pop1655, judson and 5 others like this.
  3. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

HNGD! Rock that thing until you break it again. Then rinse and repeat. :dude:

judson, lakeburst and sasquatch like this.
  4. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I think my heart stopped beating around here .....

Congrats, and HNGD. :applause:

Hope likes this.
  5. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Nice wear on the finger board. Hnbgd!

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

HNGD! Enjoy the work. Good bonding experience for your new axe, fixing it up!

7. moreles

moreles Senior Member

"throw around?" So it's a prop? No thanks.

8. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Rock on! :dude:

9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

You're brave Dave...headstock breaks DO scare me! :D

10. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

Glue, Clamps, 24-48 hr set time. Guitars like this are an insane value if you know how easy they are to fix! Congrats and hope she serves you well!

rockstar232007 and endial like this.
  11. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

Well, there is the metaphorical 'throw it around' (i.e. use it without worrying about it too much)...

And then there is THROW IT AROUND:laugh2:

:jam:

12. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

Glued and clamped last night (hot hide glue, 192 gram strength) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going to set for 36+ hours, then restring and play! Once the guitar has had a few weeks to adjust (and all the water from the hide glue leaves and the guitar is stable), going to do a light fret level, crown and polish.

WMHaze, Pop1655, lakeburst and 2 others like this.
  13. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

What drove the glue choice, over something like Titebond?

14. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

I've been working a lot with hide glue recently and every chance I get to use it is good practice. Plus, it gives me the ability to either open the joint back up or repair it in the future if necessary. It is very strong and doesn't creep. But above all, I am just a masochist at heart and derive joy from ultra fast set times.

endial likes this.
  15. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

Clamps are off!

So far, so good! From what I can tell, solid as a rock, ugly as sin. Feels good, time will (quickly) tell.

I'm going with .09s to break her in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that last shot, it looks as though the headstock 'slid' out of place during glue up, but that is not the case. That is just a little bit of finish missing from around the break joint that will get filled at some point.

Honestly most of the ugliness was already there. The headstock repair from before completely tore up the fiber headstock veneer at the break joint. I was lucky it was still hanging on and acting to line up the two pieces correctly.

I'm somewhat torn on doing more cosmetically. I will absolutely fill in the break line and finish that off, so as to seal the repair joint. But the top, I dunno. Normally, I wouldn't hesitate. But the finish has this cool puzzle-y checking pattern on the headstock (yes, it is a '99 and the entire thing is covered in checking!), plus the scar is part of its story. We'll see. I don't have to do anything right now. Maybe my mind will change in the future.

WMHaze and lakeburst like this.
  16. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

I'm working on getting her together - I'm thinking I might even be able to take her to rehearsal tonight!

Here she is getting prepped -

[​IMG]

I removed a little glue from the squeeze out inside one of the tuner holes and it was solid.

What was interesting was that I was a little worried that with the truss rod access being covered by my clamp, that I would have caught glue up around the truss rod adjustment nut and then the nut would be very difficult to access and adjust for relief. But since I used a piece of leather covered in saran wrap, it acted as a little bit of a barrier in that little pocket, and what glue was remaining in that little area was able to be picked out because it wasn't completely hardened yet. Another win for hide glue.

In the process of putting her back together, I reinstalled the tuners, the truss rod cover, and decided to oil the fretboard (Fret Doctor) and man, it was BONE dry! I didn't really like the look of it before, but it has completely changed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, some cool figure to the Indian Rosewood is starting to come out, which was not visible at all before. I'm thinking it has never seen oil, and some of these SGs came really dry from the factory new.

This is the second coat of oil. The first coat I really slathered on, expecting to wipe quite a bit away, and then it nearly all soaked in, so I put on a second coat and about 5-10 minutes later, it has signs of getting soaked in as well -

[​IMG]

After that I will call it good and move forward with the string up.

After that, a tone report!

WMHaze and lakeburst like this.
  17. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

A clean break is an easy fix. Enjoy your new Lefty!

18. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

Well guys, I strung her up and 5 min later was driving to band practice. She did awesome! Took a little time to settle in, especially with the new strings, but by the second half (4hr long practice) she was settled down and singing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got home pretty late (1am-ish) and woke up this morning and just a bit ago pulled her out of the case and...

perfectly in tune and still singing! Now we're in business!

If some of you have been on the fence about picking up a guitar with a repaired break, or a guitar that is in need of a repair like this, maybe this will change your mind. I used to own a 2003 SG Standard, which was a fantastic guitar. This guitar, acoustically, sounds better and really sings...its a very 'sweet' sounding instrument, just very sweet and balanced. Plugged in, it is very similar to my old '03. I'm not as big of a fan of the 498t (very hot and a little 'scorchy' sounding), but the 490R really surprised me! Its a great pickup and I'm not even really a rhythm pickup guy. I usually find it harder to find a good neck pickup than a bridge pickup, so I'm real happy with the 490R and will have fun playing around with bridge pickups.

I now own 2 SG Standards with headstock repairs and they are awesome guitars. I won't say it is for everyone, but if you have a good head on your shoulders and are willing to learn some very basic skills, a repair like this is easy to approach, provided the break is clean and straightforward.

I know some won't touch a repaired guitar, and I respect that. I am solidly in the other camp, and makes me feel happy about giving it a new lease on life.

[​IMG]

WMHaze, lakeburst and judson like this.
  19. judson

judson Senior Member

good job, great thread

i bought a 67 EBO bass years back with an bad neck repair, paid $75 for it and the ugly repair still holds after 20+ years and it plays fine.

20. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Maaaan...I found this Ebay seller who must work at a GC or something, but he sells a lot of broken Gibsons and Epiphones. I've been so tempted...
    So many are broken at a steep angle.
    How does one avoid creep when clamping?
    Does it ever pay to drill and dowel to keep stuff put?