NBD - Sterling Ray4

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Tanner, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

I've had a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz Bass for a couple years now, really love how it looks but sound wise it wasn't really my thing. Been looking to trade for a VM 70s Precision Bass, but got an offer I couldn't refuse. Been wanting one of these since I saw em in guitar center, and the guy had the bass in the exact finish I was wanting. Seemed like destiny, haha. The bass control knob came off the hex nut and was a little loose, but that was an easy fix. Plays and sounds like heaven!! I only really play bass in the studio and on a couple songs live with my band, but it's a great fit and I'm very excited to get around to using it. bassie2.jpg
    bassie.jpg

acstorfer and Benjammin like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Those Sterling SUB basses are a MASSIVE bang for the buck. I had one for a while. It was a beast!! Enjoy it!

3. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

They really are! I've played several of these in guitar center and half the time didnt even know it was a SUB series, they feel and sound like instruments that are 3-4 times more expensive. Thanks, appreciate it!

mmd likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on, man!

Yeah, it's sick how great those feel - not just "for the price" either. I had a "real" EBMM Sterling 4H (the "hot rod" stingray, if you will) at the same time and the necks were SO close in feel that I'd get mad sometimes, lol. That Sterling 4h was six times the price of the SUB!!!! You would expect it to SLAY the SUB, but the neck felt VERY close.

5. 5-0 phonebooth

5-0 phonebooth Senior Member

congrats, these do sound great even with just 1 PU ...in the wrong position! I may have to add this to the ever growing wish list. thanx!

6. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

I was surprised at how thick this bass sounds with the pickup being this close to the bridge!! I was a bit skeptical myself at first too, haha. Thanks!! Would highly recommend picking one of these up. Best bang for your buck bass out there, imo (even if I'm a little biased, still being in the honeymoon phase lmao)

5-0 phonebooth likes this.
  7. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I have a Ray5.... Pure badass....

Tanner likes this.
  8. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Awesome!! Hope it's been treatin you well my dude

ehb likes this.
  9. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

A great bass!