NBD: Ibanez MiKro 5 string

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by C Squared, Sep 17, 2017.

1. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

Admittedly, had it for at least a month now. I play a lot of instruments and love playing bass, but I'm more of a guitar player and woodwind player. I'm also old and battling Lupus so comfort has become a priority. My Warwick fretless is one of my favorite things to play, but at times I struggle with the 34" scale length. Wanted a 5 string with a short scale. Warmoth route was out, though at some point I may try and go with a SS jazz bass. For now this is fun. Last weekend I swapped on flat and went with E-A-D-G-C tuning which better suits my needs. Actually right now the EAD are flats and the G and C are roundwounds. This is fun to play and the shorter length is so much more manageable for me. Since getting the flats on there I have decided to keep it as the binding process has now begun. For me, Flats are the only way to go on a bass.

Like many, intonation was an issue out of the box. Even restringing the bottom string won't quite go back far enough. Some upgrades are planned:

Going with a Hipshot A style bridge. It's on it way.

Pickups: I love the DiMarzios in my Warwick. I hate noise. Drives but batpoopie crazy. The Warick has an Ultra Jazz in the bridge and an Area J in the neck position. Killer tones and super quiet, but this setup won't work for a 5. While I prefer passives, I played a friends Warmoth 5 string with EMG JAX set in it. Ordered the set. Will take a little finagling to fit, but that's ok. At some point may swap the tone control for the variable mid control. Usually I can dial in the highs and lows on my amp and be happy. Mids get finicky in different rooms so this may be a better way to go, for me personally anyway.

Tuners, in the future I'll put some hipshots on it, for now, they're doing ok.

Nut will get changed, especially since I changed the string layout.

probably going to put a rosewood "ramp" from the bridge pickup to the neck itself. I dig the look and having a consistent anchor helps my hands to relax and gives me great control on my tone and playing.

Instrument: $185

Upgrades: more then double the cost of the instrument...

But that's ok ;)

Cheers!

freak likes this.
  2. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

Some upgrades
    [​IMG]

Benjammin likes this.
  3. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

The Hipshot Bridge is a HUGE improvement. Acoustically this thing now has close to double it's natural volume that it gave me before. I chose to mount it about 1/8" further back from the nut that the stock bridge was and now every string intonates perfectly. The clovers I took a gamble on but there was just enough room. Admittedly they look a tad out of place on the tiny offset headstock, but I dig clovers so I went with it.

Not sure what this body wood actually is, but it certainly isn't the mahogany we most think of. It almost felt like I could just push the screws in mounting the bridge. Next step is going to be to simply make a mini j style body out of honduran with an ash top. Snow season is coming and I will have plenty of time to work in the garage.

4. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I really like . no __ love the over-sized tuners , on that color scheme

reminds me of a Tsugaru Kouki shamisen

Tsu_kouki_set_B.jpg

( you know . I'm thinking about getting a 5 string now . . . )

C Squared likes this.
  5. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

[​IMG]

Hipshot Ultra lights. I think Hipshot makes great stuff with a high consistent grade on quality. Every instruments I own has Hipshot tuners on it

6. dmvksv

dmvksv Senior Member

Looks really cool. I've got three Ibanez basses but I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of the Mikro. Looks like your taking it to the next level