Nashville to abr-1 conversion

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Pogue Mahone, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Member

Ive got a recent Les Paul classic and I would like to convert the bridge from nashville to abr-1. Any thoughts or opinions, as well as info where to get the conversion parts is welcome. Thanks for your time!

2. ES350

ES350 Senior Member

Just plug the larger holes for the Nashville with some doweling, layout the ABR spacing, drill out with a tap or screw by hand for the ABR studs, install...play. Just did it to my '88 Dot and it does make a difference. Most Gibson dealers have the parts and there are many sources online...or you can buy machine screws from a hardware store and make your own custom length studs (hint: longer studs in the body sound pretty good).

3. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Member

Thank you for your reply ES-350, good to hear others have done this successfully! I figured doweling would be the way to go, though Ive heard there are conversion studs you can buy to make the swap. Thanks again for the info!

4. Frutiger

Frutiger Senior Member

You can also ream out the holes of an ABR-1 & it'll fit on Nashville studs if you're just after the look & feel of a tune-o-matic...

5. Tom99SS

Tom99SS Senior Member

Try Faber Parts a CV Guitars

Look at the ABR-59 and the BSWkit. This looks like a great alternative to the Nashville Bridge.

6. Pogue Mahone

Pogue Mahone Member

Thanks guys, I just checked out the CV Guitars site and I think I'll be using the BSWkit. Looks like good stuff! Thanks again!

7. djd100

djd100 Senior Member

It is, first rate quality (put my 68 GT PAF Conversion right which had a Schaller bridge and Nashville posts installed at some point i the past).

8. So Relax

So Relax Senior Member

I installed Browns Guitar factory conversion posts. Its simple, completely reversible and with a tonepros AVRII it worked wonders.

9. Belzeebub

Belzeebub V.I.P. Member

So...let me get this straight. Do Classics come stock with Nashvilles?

10. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Yes, at least they have since '05 I believe. They used to come with ABR-1s. My '99 has the ABR-1.