Namm review of new $99 epiphone SL

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by RavenMadd, Jul 25, 2017.

1. RavenMadd

RavenMadd Senior Member

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Gotta keep the sales volume up..................... never mind that it's done with zero profit chaff.

3. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

$40 when they are pre-owned.

4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

What is "profit chaff"?

EDIT.... I stopped taking this guy seriously when he thought that tuners had anything to do with "holding tune".

He also seems to want to mod the thing to the point of doubling the price.

The guitar is meant to compete with Firat Act and the lowest "player pack" Squier Strats. It's not a guitar for the "modder". It's not even a guitar for someone who knows how to play guitar yet.

5. Will de Beast

Will de Beast Member

I thought the video review was pretty accurate. Different tuners and pickups are almost always required to make a cheap guitar into a playin' monster. Why are folks afraid to go the extra mile? For a modest additional expense, one can have a fabulous guitar that stays in tune and sounds better than most guitars that cost more than 2x, 3x, 4x, etc..., as well as more of them!

Benjammin likes this.
  6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Afraid to go the extra mile?

It's about going the extra 100 miles. A set of tuners and a pickup will double the price of this guitar. Double.

When you're done, you might have a terrific $200 guitar, but the target market is the $100 guitar-buyer, who knows nothing about modding. Doesn't even know how to tune, yet.

7. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Just as good as a Gibson...

[​IMG]

:laugh2:

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

What do you mean by 'just as good............."???

Once that steaming mound is fully upgraded it would easily outplay any Gibson!

Who likes this.
  9. ricksepilp

ricksepilp Senior Member

Bottom line, If you like playing the guitar and you want to update the tuners, pickups etc do it. Other peoples opinions should not sway you. I have a Special II and updated the tuners, pickups and nut. I absolutely love playing the guitar. It's the lowest quality guitar I own but with the mods it just feels right. Does it make sense, maybe not. But, if I'd listened to other peoples opinions it would be sitting in a corner collecting dust.

Rocco Crocco and Will de Beast like this.
  10. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Oh well, he's quite right there. It's for sure way trickier (sometimes impossible) to get the guitar tuned with crap tuners, but once you have it in tune it's not there which is happening a "holding tune" issue. Holding tune always been mostly a matter of quality of the string winding, nut slots quality (more important with Gisbon design), same goes for the bridge saddles notches, and the amount of time you spend stretching your brand new strings after installing, until they settles down (probably the most important trick to do). String slipping it's rarely a tuner fault, it's mostly a bad stringing issue. :)

Who, Fuelish and Benjammin like this.