Naming Guitars

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Yup and yup AGAIN!

2. djem

djem Senior Member

How often do you play with your pink one?

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

When I hear the lame, embarrassing names people give their guitars (or their boats, for that matter) it confirms my decision not to name my own guitars. However, Elvis did a pretty good job when he gave the name "Little Elvis" to... well, never mind.

4. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Whenever the urge hits.

5. blue1million

blue1million Junior Member

I've gone through about 50 guitars, and at one point I did try giving names, but it just felt silly. One did manage to pick up a name though, which has stuck. I found a 1970 Les Paul Custom in a shop, and I loved it, but wasn't sure about spending that much. My then girlfriend talked me into buying it, "you'll regret it if you don't". Later that day we found out one of her friends had died suddenly. From then on the guitar was called Stephen.

6. dSky

dSky Member

Origin of the name "Lucille".

In the winter of 1949, BB King played at a dance hall in Twist, Arkansas. The hall was heated by a barrel half-filled with burning kerosene, a fairly common practice at the time. During a performance, two men began to fight, knocking over the barrel and sending burning fuel across the floor. The hall burst into flames, and the building was evacuated.

Once outside, King realized that he had left his guitar inside so he went back into the burning building to retrieve his beloved $30 Gibson guitar. King learned the next day that the two men that started the fire had been fighting over a woman who worked at the hall named Lucille. King named that guitar, and every guitar he subsequently owned, Lucille, as a reminder never again to do something as stupid as run into a burning building or fight over women

7. Chakalawaka

Chakalawaka Junior Member

I did gave a name to my guitar, I just don't use it, it's just for myself, I don't go on boasting about her name with some shady backstory about a girl who owes money for a car or whatnot, it's just how I feel...

8. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

A few years ago I bought a rahter nice (for me, anyway) acoustic. A friend of mine kept insisting that I name it. I kept telling him I'm not really into that kind of thing, but he kept insisting. And insisting. And insisting.

So finally I told him I had a name for it.

"Ginger."

Which also happened to be the name of his batshit-crazy ex-wife.

Strangely, he never brought it up again.

Thumpalumpacus and Maynar like this.
  9. robbym

robbym Junior Member

I have given them nicknames, and everyone in the house knows them by those names.
    "Broken" - '94 LP Classic which had a broken headstock
    "Heavy" - '94 LP Studio which hasn't been on a diet
    "Goldie" - '13 LP 60's Tribute with gold finish
    "Melody" - '14 LP Melody Maker, do I need to explain ? :)
    "Special" - '16 LP Special (Japan Prop.)
    "Paisley" - '12 FSR Black Paisley... it's not a LP I know :)
    Saving up money to buy "Blue" the 2018 Classic in Pelham Blue.. the name is there all I need is the money :D

10. R2DHART

R2DHART Junior Member

Very little of my equipment has names and what does was generally give by other people (very unimaginative ones at that). Whatever the case I always look forward to hanging out with Les, Mira and Marshal.

11. JesseXGibson

JesseXGibson Member

Named my les paul standard hp “hunny” because the first words out of my mouth the first time I picked it up was “Sh**, sweet like hunny” not one for naming guitars, just kinda stuck..

12. efstop

efstop Senior Member

[​IMG]

Left to right: the Mustang, the Tribute, the Tribute T (or, the other Tribute) the Melody Maker, the Tele (also called the Telemexter) and the bass. Not shown is the Guild, or if I'm being formal, the acoustic .

Mr. Pickles and RichBrew like this.
  13. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

My latest, "Vesper"
    IMG_20171208_131734_605.jpg

14. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

I always wanted a CobraBurst, but it seemed the only way to get one was custom order or be a rockstar. Since neither option was viable, I stripped the HCSB off after fubaring it up. Michael Learn down in Denver does the finishes for the guys in Styx. I gave them a call it was quote $450 for a top refinish. Heck for $80 I though I would try it myself. If it didn't turn out, I would just strip the top again and take it to him. With the top stripped, it would have been $375 IIRC. In the middle of putting the nitro clear on, my father died. I finished up the last coats and then let it cure during the 22 days that I had to go to Chicagoland and take care of dad's stuff. While I was there, Tommy posted that Gibson (he lives in Nashville now) was doing a custom for him. It's a Axcess without any weight relief and a stoptail. SSD 59, tonepro roller (at first he wanted to put a Bigsby on it) standard re-issue wiring. I have it all the same except for the Acess body. Jan 23 we will be going to SLC and a M&G with them. I am taking it with us and hope to get a pic and his opinion on it. I talked to Jimmy Johnson, his tech, and trying to get him to bring his so we can do a pic with each of our CBs.

Here is the one from the web that I found that shows off the brown of the sanded back wood that makes a Cobra vs a trans black.

[​IMG]

Mr. Pickles likes this.
  15. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

I can't name guitars especially where it implies gender. I don't refer to machines as "she" either. "Yeah, she runs like a top". Makes no sense. If I do think of any of my guitars in the gender sense, they'd feel more like buddies I've gone to battle and triumphantly returned home with. But names? Like what, Lucille? Billy? I have a black LP that I sometimes refer to as "Black Bastard", but that's for comedic reasons. Guitars... machines... they aren't my girlfriends, they're my tools. I don't have a favorite adjustable wrench called, "Christine" or a screw driver with a clear black handle called "Smokey".

But there are cases when I think it's appropriate: Neil Young's "Old Black" is fitting, BB King's "Lucille" has a story. I even get names like "Stanley Burst" and "Frehley Burst", but man, leave the romance out of it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  16. Bigfoot410

Bigfoot410 Premium Member

I recently bought an old pink Vantage guitar. I freakin' love it. It plays awesome. I named it "I wish it wasn't f***in' PINK!" :)

17. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

I have the same (50's) Tribute Gold Top w/buckers, and I have a US white Tele that looks pretty close to yours. Nice gears! :yesway: I have a few really expensive LP's, but the Tribute is the one I play the most. I got it used, like-new for chump change. That's a HUGE harmonica in the right corner.

18. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I bought my '50s Tribute new, but the local Best Buy wanted all their Gibsons gone. $460 CDN. I tried to make my MIM Tele resemble a '58 RI as much as possible, but it came out looking like it was re-necked in the '70s. I'm OK with that.

One of my hobbies is repurposing junk. The "harmonica" haha I like that description, is a polished (by me) aluminum sunglasses display screwed to a coffee can with a light socket mounted on the end of a brass curtain rod remnant. THAT is then attached to some kind of bearing plate (iron, I think), sitting on the floor.