Naming Guitars

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. dennis g

dennis g Senior Member

Do I name them? No. They are what they are, the Dot, the LP, the Strat, the Tele, well, you get the idea...

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I had an Epiphone Korina V, used to call it "Honey Bunny", on account of the golden/honey complexion. Also a reference to Pulp Fiction. Later when I got my Honeyburst LP I sometimes called that one Honey Bunny too. I guess I just like the name. I haven't had any other guitars where a name jumps out at me

3. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

I've got two Trads, a tobacco burst and a cherry burst. I refer to them as the brunette and the redhead. Alternately #1 and #2 when we're playing out depending on which one is my primary and which is the backup for the evening.

4. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

I named my toilet Big Gulp.

Apart from that, I don't name my guitars.

Les Paul Newb and 2manyGuitars like this.
  5. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Naming boats has got to be because of good luck or whatever they believed in back then, and also to identify one boat in a literal sea of boats when they all look similar.

The only people I see naming guitars are artists where their Number 1 guitar gets a nickname for whatever reason or they have a ton of similar guitars. Could be an "Gertrude" after an old girlfriend, or just called "Lucky" because it survived that time you fell off stage, or "Sweetie Pie" because it's tone is "Just so damn sweet!" Anyway in the studio or on stage it just becomes a matter of "Hey roadie, go and fetch Sweetie Pie!" Rather than having to explain that you didn't want any of those other 84 Strats with maple boards.

There are a few sunburst Les Paul collectors who took to naming every one they got probably just because to non-burst nerds they all look the same. Some of the girls names out of context just seem creepy and weird, and if you emerge from your mum's basement in your underpants stroking your guitar and muttering about how "her" name is "Sparkles" and she's a "good girl" I'd say probably not really needed. I mean the only person who usually gives a crap about you and your little room full of guitars is you, and anyway you can tell them apart without starting to give names to inanimate objects. You know what's weird too? Giving cars names.

6. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

I call my guitars lots of names. Most of them can't be repeated in a family forum.

Les Paul Newb and redjunior like this.
  7. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Junior Member

I have some with names. And some without. It all depends on the instrument.

One thing I have noticed, though. Most of my basses that have names have male names. The guitars are generally female.

I am mainly a bass player. My main bass was just 'the Lakland' until recently, when I got a second Lakland. Now they are 'the blonde' and 'the new fretless. Both of those are five strings. I have a red Spector NS2a that is 'Ruby'. But my two Fender Jazzes are named after the artist who inspired them. The white one with a Geddy Lee Signature neck is 'Geddy'. and the sunburst fretless is 'Jaco'.

My guitars are a bit varied. My main Strat is usually just called 'the white Fender'. But my newest Strat, a Frankenstrat based on the Clapton Signature model is 'Erica'. My Tele is 'Scotch' lately, because it's a butterscotch blonde. My Epiphone Dot is 'Dorothy'.

I'm surprised at how many times while writing this I started to say 'X' doesn't have a name...and had to go back and change it because I've called them something name-like. So Jaco, Geddy, Ruby, Dot and Erica have names for names. The Lakland blonde, the new fretless, the white Fender, and 'Scotch' have more descriptions than names.

Did that make sense?

bilbarstow and redjunior like this.
  8. Bigcat2017

Bigcat2017 Junior Member

I name my R9 "Eleven" because when I played it at the first time I realized I have to turn the knob to 11 to get max volume for the neck.
    It's a solid proof I bought a genuine Gibson so I keep it!

9. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

Naming guitars...

:rofl:

10. slowjammerukdog

slowjammerukdog Junior Member

So, I was gonna say that it's a bit embarrassing to give your guitar a name, but when I read this post, I was so touched by these two lovely stories that I ended up feeling a bit ashamed of myself for being so cynical.

Also, I have to confess, I have names for two of my guitars, based on how I came by them. One is my Gretsch White Falcon, a parting gift from my late first wife – she knew I'd always wanted one, although I never believed I'd ever be in a position to actually own one. That guitar's called Jayne Mansfield, on account of its 1950s trashy beauty. The other one is a 1963 Hofner Verithin given to me by a generous and lovely man I met online. That one's called Sweet Jane, after his sister, who he looks after because she has major health issues...and because the guitar has a bit of a 60s punk, Velvet Underground vibe about it. I love both of these instruments, but they're not necessarily my favourites; I think the naming thing happened because I feel particularly sentimental about them both.

Ed B likes this.
  11. MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin Senior Member

I call mine "The Strat" and the "Les Paul"

12. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

OK, that one I can see: "What are you doing tonight?" "Picking up Babes......"

13. dsjjfgrn

dsjjfgrn Junior Member

I bought my Les Paul with the primary purpose of serenading my wife with Eric Clapton’s “Wonderful Tonight”.
    Based on this, I named him “Ripley”, after Clapton’s home town.

14. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

Thank you for your kind words. I was just the recipient of kindness from my family, and I figured I had to honor them somehow. Sounds like you were too.

Ed B likes this.
  15. Elvis1967

Elvis1967 Junior Member

I bought a Tele many, many years ago that had a home finish that was probably meant to be butterscotch but was more like a yellow wood stain. The day I picked it up I went to a pub to meet some friends. The barman spotted the case & asked if it was a new guitar. I said yes, new to me. He said 'let's have a look, have you named it?' I said no, I'd never named a guitar. As soon as I opened the case he said, 'That's Eleanor'. I asked why & he said it was because she was yellow. I kept Eleanor for over 20 years.
    The only other guitar that had a name was a really beaten up white Mosrite copy that sounded beautiful. The singer in the band always referred to it as 'The White Wonder'.
    So, no, I don't name my guitars but sometimes other people do.

16. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I name all my guitars. Always have. They are the only inanimate object I name though (well, aside from a 1977 Trans Am Special Edition I used to own that I called, logically, "the Bandit" ;)).

In my view, each guitar has its own character, its own personality (ie, they are not appliances like a toaster or a blender) and thus naming them just seems proper. Plus, when I get a new guitar it's fun to figure out what its name should be, (I enjoy that process quite a lot actually :)).

If it doesn't float your boat (no pun intended toward the prior boat naming posts ;)) that's cool... different strokes. I figure I'm in good enough company though--BB King, Albert King, Bo Diddly, Billy Gibbons, Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Joe Bonamassa, EVH, Bernie Marsden, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, George Harrison, Willie Nelson, Tony Iommi, Neil Black, Brian May, etc. (you get the point), have all named guitar(s) at one point or another. It's not such an odd practice at all really.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Junior Member

2 of mine have names Jenn is my strat and Leslie is 1 of my acoustics. Because the name fits. But the rest are just my lp, sg, tele and the mutt

18. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Unsure why people do that. They are just guitars.

19. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Freedom of choice. I don't keep them long enough to get that familiar. Even my daily driver classical for the last 8 years is called "the Ramirez".

Frogfur likes this.
  20. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Hey X..im not trying to deny those that do. Thats great, i was just implying that for me personally after 54 years of restrings, to me they are just guitars. Thats all. They come, they go. I hold no adulation for them whatsoever. They are just tools to make music.

Sure i have favorites, and all that i have now i will keep and the only reason would be, that at 67, i'm wore out buying guitars, looking at guitars dreaming about guitars. Sure i love them or wouldnt have dedicated my entire life to the hobby, but naming them, sleeping with them, having good sex with my LP..?
    Thats for the fine young dudes here that are still climbing the guitar ladder.

Again i think it fabulous if they do. But what for ?

Peace