Naming Guitars

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Les Paul Newb, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

As a grown man, how are you able to do this? I tried one time, just because everyone else seemed to be doing it. Peer pressure I guess. Wanted to "fit in". So I approached my number one, and thought "ok, a name. Hmm, what to name this inanimate object" and then I went back to my normal life.

I couldn't be like "time to play Katie" cmon people. "As good a time as any to finger Elenor." Do you walk by the guitar & smile like "Oh Jessica, your maple top is so sexy!"

I can't ever imagine talking to one of my guitars or tvs or cars or naming a toilet. But hey, we live in a time when people would rather pay double for a vandalized instrument, so long as Tom did it.

Attached Files:

scott1970, ChrissDR, Rich and 7 others like this.
  2. Veeing Fly

Veeing Fly Senior Member

Hear, hear!

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  3. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

I name all of my guitars __ and many different objects around the house

everything has life in it . sometimes that life needs a name

4. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

Agree.
    I call mine the gray one; and the black one.
    (Not the same guitar. I should have re-worded that, to express there were two. Howsoever, I don't have time right now to fully express and realize exactly what I am trying to say. I could have just left it at "Agree.")

5. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I call this one "the pink one".

pink-charvel-1.jpg

6. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

Old Reliable...

20160808_205037.jpg

onehippie, Les Paul Newb and Olds442 like this.
  7. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

Holly#2 is her name. Mainly because they are both redheads, appearance and personality wise. And you know what they say about redheads.... Hot in the head, fire in the hole.

8. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I tried a few times to name stuff, guitars, cars, just doesn't work for me.

I didn't even name my dog, I took suggestions and went with the best fit.

More power to those that do, but not for me.

Redeemed and northernguitarguy like this.
  9. fry

fry Senior Member

I don’t know if you’re taking a poll or not, but put me down for a no. I do not, and have never named a guitar.

10. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I have 2 that I have named. The first is a 1938 Gibson L-30, that was purchased new by my paternal grandfather's 3rd wife. Dorothy made my birthday cakes when I was a toddler, and was one of the sweetest women I've ever known. She played Hawaiian guitar on it. She gave it to my uncle when he said he was interested in playing guitar, and she died in 1984. My uncle never took to it, and stuck it in a closet. He showed it to me in 1996, and gave it to me in '99. I call the guitar Dorothy, in her honor. I have the original case with it. There are LOTS of songs in this guitar, and it is my couch guitar, the one I grab while watching TV. It stays in my family after I am gone. DSCN1829.JPG

The other is my Tacoma acoustic electric. I was in a band and needed an acoustic electric (Dorothy was my only acoustic at the time). I played every one in town it seemed, and if I liked one, it was way out of my budget. I went to a small music store that was on the verge of closing to investigate their Tacoma's. I grabbed one that was beyond my budget, strummed a Cowboy E chord, and KNEW this was the guitar I had to have. I still didnt have the money, but my tax return was on the way, so I told my band mates that I'd just have to struggle along until it came it. I had lunch with my Mom a couple days later, and she asked about my guitar search. I told her what was up, and just left it at that. A couple days later, I go to the mailbox and get my mail. There is an envelope with my Mom's handwriting on it. I open it, and there is a check for $800.00, made out to me. I called my Mom, and she answered the phone with, "Go buy the guitar!" I told her that I'd sign my tax refund over to her to pay her back, cashed the check the next day, and bought the guitar.

I played the heck out of it over the next couple days, and went to wipe it off one evening after playing it. I noticed there is an "M" in the figure of the book-matched mahogany back on the guitar. Well, Mom's name is Marsha Lee, and she made the guitar happen, and the Good Lord above put the figure in the guitar, and then put it in my hands, so I named the guitar Marsha Lee. Its a really nice guitar, with solid top, sides and back. I also got really lucky, because this guitar doesnt suffer badly from the bubbling finish that plagued a lot of Tacoma's; there is a little of it along some binding, but it is barely noticeable. It does need a little setup love. I play it about twice a month, but I will never sell it; it stays in the family, too.
    DSCN2157.JPG

The "M" that told me this was meant to be. Mom was pretty blown away when I showed her the back.
    DSCN1777.JPG

11. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i just go with what the mfg named them. :dunno:

12. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I name all my guitars George

13. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Speaking of George, anything can have a name...

[​IMG]

14. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I tried to do it. I named both of my JEMs. One was named “flowers” and one “Goldilocks”. It didn’t really take.

I only named those two because before that one was named “the white one” and the other “the flower one”.

15. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Whatever floats your boat....

When one has multiple guitars of even one model, nicknames simplify things.

One of my Lesters that I've had most of my 60 years is named.

Do what makes you moist...

onehippie and Malikon like this.
  16. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

nope. never have named my guitars. my "old" Gretsch is the one that I learned to play on. I usually just call them by what they are, i.e. my Les Paul( I only have one). I'm not one to give names to things. besides, if I called them by name, they wouldn't come to me anyway. they'd just sit there. :D

17. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

How do you explain naming boats then?? Hmm...

that said - I don't name my guitars..

onehippie likes this.
  18. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

With 18 guitars, it is more convenient for me to name them something short based upon a distinguishing characteristic. For example, my CC4 is named, wait for it, Sandy. My relic Mary Kay Strat is named Gilmour, etc... I just find this an easier way to reference them than trying to say "the top-wrapped, darkburst Les Paul".

Now, I don't talk to them or assign any human characteristics to them. That would be crazy. Then again, some people think owning that many guitars is crazy so who am I to say. :laugh2:

19. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I don't name boats either.

RayTorvalds likes this.
  20. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

as it happens, I'm just finishing up a LP build for a client who is picking up the guitar later today. He wanted a truss rod cover with the name "Babes". When I asked him what the significance of the name was he said it was his nickname that he calls his close friend who happens to be a major music star (also she was involved in his ordering the guitar in the first place). He's going to show her the guitar when he picks it up....I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see her reaction.

P1070041.JPG