NAIAPD! Tech 21 Character Series Oxford

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Guitar Rod, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Went to buy a speaker cable plus some strings and left with a Tech 21 Oxford "Orange" amp in a pedal as well. They had a local store sale on it for $99 CDN ($75 US) instead of the usual $220. Couldn't pass it up since I enjoy my other amp in a pedal, the Joyo AC Tone, and this was just a bit more expensive for the real deal.

Played around with it, mainly the recommended settings. The British Pop one for some Kossov and the Sabbath one are pretty good. Haven't had a chance to tweak it to my liking. The Zep setting fed back like crazy.

Anyone (northernguitarguy?) have some good settings that get it close to known Orange amps? I'm not really knowledgeable on them and don't know what to listen for though I generally love the raw Orange sound.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I find the pedal feeds back like a MF'er when the volume knob is above 10 o'clock and the gain is up. All the controls are extremely sensitive, so it requires a bit of patience to dial it in. I couldn't get a decent clean tone out of it, but then, I can't get a clean tone I like out of my Tiny Terror. Mostly what I got out of owning it is confirmation that I hate playing through headphones, even though it sounds more like an Orange amp than the Line 6 POD 'Citrus' settings I've heard. It does sound good through my Bandit, but again, not enough to make me sell my TT.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

The guys at Tech21 are geniuses. Enjoy your pedal.

4. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

Thanks for the report! I love the Tech21 stuff, but a lot of it is a little out of the price range for something I would use primarily for direct recording (or into a PA). I bought the 4 Joyo sound clones (which are decent), but eventually caved and got a Tech21 Leeds. It's a Hiwatt emulator, which sounds niche, but actually it has arguably the best clean headroom out of any of the Character series pedals, and can also do a British overdrive with pretty mean low end all-around, so I'm really happy with it.

One sneaky cool thing about them is that if you run them off a 9V battery, I think the power consumption is only like 5mA, so they advertise something like 100 hours of use. That can't be right, but anyway, it's impressive to have a fully portable recording preamp that you don't even need to plug into a wall.

I saw the Oxford and was tempted to get it many times. I don't use an "Orange" sound very often, and I happened to already have an EQD Monarch OD to cover that sound, so I passed. But it looks terrific. Enjoy!

5. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Played around with it tonight. I was having a tough time finding a good sound that I liked. Switching off speaker emulation helped a lot. Now I'm getting closer to a good approximation of an Orange sound.

6. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Despite the great price, I returned it. Just couldn't get a good sound out of it and so I would never use it. Front of the amp, effects loop, different amps. Nothing.