NAD Vox ac4c1-12

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Les Paul Newb, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

IMG_9254.JPG
    IMG_9260.JPG IMG_9261.JPG

Vox ac4 with a 12" speaker. Great for getting vox top boost tone at bedroom levels (and louder than that) without the boxiness of other ac4 models. I will eventually upgrade the tubes and upgrade the speaker to a greenback. It also has a 16ohm output, so I can use a cab down the line.

I've heard the trebble/bass controls on Vox amps are "very interactive" when using the top boost circuit. Now I know what they mean. It changes the tone drastically depending on where you have them set.

First step is to break-in the stock speaker (seventy 80) and get an OD pedal. I welcome suggestions. The ones I'm looking at now are the EH Soul Food, OCD, and the mini tube screamer. Also the catalinbread naga viper (Dallas rangemaster clone). I know these are different types of OD (trebble boost, clean boost, mid boost, etc) but they all sound great. Can't decide. Also need a reverb.

2. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

My old ac4tv really went along with a Zendrive, maybe give that a shot..! Nice amp.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

Nice! Mini Tubescreamer or an EH East River Drive and an EH Nano Grail reverb. I speak from experience.

4. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Ummm...(I'm looking at that guitar).

Oh...nice amp!

5. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

IMG_9093.JPG

Thanks man. I know people hate on 2015s, but I love them & got it for an absolute steal! Ocean blue trad, No weight relief, hand wired with orange drop caps, fat neck, no nibs, real MOP inlays.

Now I just need a few pedals.

frozenotter and Bubba Z like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It is hard to go wrong with a tubescreamer type pedal for lead tones. It will suck if you think it will give you a good rhythm tone on a clean platform though. I have 2: Bad Monkey and a Maxon OD808. I would go for the Maxon or a classic Ibanez TS9 or 808. Tone and Drive down around 9 o'clock, and a volume boost to taste to drive the amp harder. Classic. The Tone knob is the mid hump boost. Down for no boost, up for more and more mids.

I also have a RangeMaster clone from our own AlligatorBling. Fooo King awesome pedal for all classic drive tones. Brian May and Tony Iommi for days. Hit him up!

I like low gain fuzz for dirty rhythm tones (think classic 60's, not modern stoner/doom) and hit it with the TS or the TB for leads.