NAD - Supro Black Magic

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by The_Nuge, Aug 31, 2017.

1. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

OK, so it was a few days ago and I already posted asking about a footswitch for the thing, but a proper introduction is probably due ;)

So I had a few things up on the local variant of CL, including a Fender SRV that I haven't played much for a while. Guy sends me a message if I'd be interested in a swap deal with a Supro Black Magick. I've been kinda thinking about getting an old-school combo, so I thought why not :yesway:
    The amp is 2-3 weeks old - the guy bought it just before joining a "pop" band and now needs something that can do several shades of "clean"...:doh:

Guy comes over, I try the amp, and he leaves with my guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impressions:

Well, it's pretty loud for its size, and only starts really breaking up at about 12 o'clock. The clean sounds are nice enough, but I don't think that's where this amp feels at home!
    Enter the attenuator :dude:

I now run it though my home-built TrainWreck AirBrake Clone, and that works really well! I run the volumes at about 2 o'clock and that gives you gain levels in classic rock, or make that Led Zep, territory. It's got 2 inputs, channel "1+2" and channel "1", and you can use an ABY pedal to good effect. Channel "1+2" has more oomph than "2", and combining "1+2" and "2" gives you still more!
    Overall, the tone of the amp is rather dark, but without being unarticulate.
    It's the first amp I've had with tremolo, and I find that a quite cool effect. It's fairly subtle, so should be good for giving some songs a bit of flavour.
    I also tried putting a TS-9 in front of it - that's great too! If you keep gain and level moderate, that gives you a really creamy, smooth and warm lead tone :yesway:
    As for guitars, I find that the amp takes particularly well to my ES-335, but I have to try P90s too :)
    There are a bunch of videos on youtube of people demoing it, but without having watched them all, I'd say that Johann does a good job of getting the tone that I like from it!

What's not to like?
    Well, why on Earth doesn't it come with a footswitch for the tremolo? It's not as if it's not expensive enough...:(
    Also, I noticed that the on/off and standby switches on mine get quite warm / hot - the amp is a PCB design, so I wonder if there'll be thermal issues down the road?

framos, Hothands, El Pablo and 7 others like this.
  2. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Wow really cool amp! Congrats man.

The_Nuge likes this.
  3. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Cool amp. I similarly got a Supro Dual Tone in a trade and I love the amp. Love to compare it with a Black Magik.

I use an old Marshall foot switch with my Supro tremolo and it works well.

Congrats.

The_Nuge likes this.
  4. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

I plugged into one that was in the backline at a festival...mainly because I knew it had to be new and wouldn't be all tired and clapped out.
    It was a little confusing at first with 2 channels and a 3rd that is a blend of the 2, but I remember it ending out being pretty intuitive and I dialed up some very satisfying tones very quickly.
    Cool amp!

The_Nuge likes this.
  5. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

nice amp and classy pic

The_Nuge likes this.
  6. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I'm hope to check one of these out this week. Hope the amp is still working out.

The_Nuge likes this.
  7. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Yup! Still very much enjoying it!

Gridlock likes this.
  8. Rockstar1957

Rockstar1957 Junior Member

I just picked one up Saturday. I had a Supro Dual Tone but it really didn't do it for me. I must say, this amp is AWESOME. I was looking for something smaller than my Marshall JMP and 2x12. Its a 1978 and the thought of hauling it to gigs again made me nervous. In my opinion, please note that statement, this amp is as close as I can get to the amp Jimmy Page loaned the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He took the 10's out, had a new baffle made and installed with a single 12". These are PCB wired so they miss a little of the inherent PTP tone, but they may have a little more reliability. With my LP Classic plugged into the 1-2 channel and my Fulltone Octafuzz set to fuzz and boost at 2 o'clock and gain at 12:00, and a little bit of slapback delay on my Carbon Copy, it nails the Page LZ1 tones. Great amp, beautiful workmanship. With the Eric Johnson Strat straight in, the clean tone is, well, beautiful.

The_Nuge likes this.
  9. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Congrats, a very cool amp.

I have a Dual Tone that I got in a trade. Never planned to get one until the trade. I do like the Dual Tone, good bottom end, nice breakup at mid volume, and takes my OD pedals well.

I can pretty easily get Zeppelin tones from my Supro, curious about the differences between the Dual Tone and Black Magik?

Never got to try the BlackMagik. More gain? More treble than the Dual?

Enjoy that amp.

The_Nuge likes this.
  10. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!
    I haven't played any of the other Supro amps, but this one's certainly got plenty of gain. I find it quite dark sounding, but I can't compare it to any of the other models!

11. Rockstar1957

Rockstar1957 Junior Member

So, the Black Magick, to my old and ringing ears, has a bit more of the treble bite. There is a ton of gain on tap and truth be told the cabinet dimensions are a little different but I think the are pretty close. I like the 1-2 channel but find myself using channel two. I get drive from my OCD. I also have an Octafuzz and Carbon copy on my board.
    With my 2017 Gibson Les Paul Classic, the OCD on about 10:00 on the gain and some slapback on the Carbon Copy, I get some pretty convincing Pagey tones. The Dual Tone nails that as well. Heck, hard to go wrong with a Les Paul and a Supro ( or any tube amp.)

Cheers!

12. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I played one of these at a music store about 6 months ago, no pedals, just straight in. It got loud getting into dirt territory. I mean loud. Sweet sounds, and I hope it'd take pedals well, especially a boost so's I could get my grind on earlier on the dial.

Don't know that my amp needs would require this kind of money, but if I were gigging still, it would fill the bill.

The_Nuge likes this.
  13. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

I use a TS-9 Tube Screamer with mine now, and that works well!
    I've reduced the gain on the amp a bit, so that I can do "almost clean" to crunch with the volume on the guitar, and then use the TS for lead gain!

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

It was indeed a very responsive amp ... no doubt you've got some good sound happening. :thumbs:

The_Nuge likes this.
  15. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

I have been interested in this amp for some time, what are opinions on bedroom level volume, can it be done?

16. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I own the Saturn but love the sound of the Black Magic. Supros are great sounding amps. ENJOY

The_Nuge likes this.
  17. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Well, it obviously depends on what you define as bedroom level, but it's fairly loud! With volume at about "1" it's about as loud as I'd go in my music room at night, and at that point it's very clean. Starts coming alive at about "5" (12 o'clock), by which point it's loud enough for small gigs :)
    It might work if you use pedals, but I think it works much better with an attenuator!
    If you live anywhere close to me, you're welcome to come try it out!

mandobandit likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Bright guitars into dark amps made for jazz and rhythm playing are the vintage tone, imho. :yesway:

19. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

Nuge thank you, and that is a extremely generous offer, I have access to demo one at a local shop.
    I have refrained from doing so because I'm afraid I'll buy regardless of practicality LOL.
    I have also been looking into a few other similar combos from Reeves, Fargen,Milkman etc. all of which deal with built in attenuation, I think Supro is missing the boat on that feature.
    Again thank you I appreciate you taking the time
    Fred

The_Nuge likes this.
  20. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Fred, screw practicality :p
    I use a clone of a TrainWreck AirBrake (you can make them yourself, Mouser sell all the parts) as an attenuator, and that works with all amps without killing too much tone!

mandobandit likes this.