NAD Phaez Daisycutter

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Mike-t, Mar 11, 2010.

1. tojo

tojo Senior Member

My amp is supposed to be completed in 2 weeks based on my last message from Randy. So, start to finish that would be about 30 days from first contact. If it holds true, that's better than I had expected.

Likely, though, that the amp will be ready before the cab. The speaker is still 3 weeks out - special order. But I have another I can use to fill the gap.

In the end a month or even two is not an unreasonable amount of time to wait for something that may become a very prized addition to my collection.

2. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

If you read the fine print, the shipping on that switch is nearly as much as the switch itself!

However, I'd more be looking at how I like the amp itself. The footswitch is such a small thing. I'm guessing I could pick one up at GC or one of the many other stores.

There are just too many people here who have had excellent experiences with Phaez amps on this site to get worked up over this. I suspect you will soon forget about the switch and just enjoy the amp, telling us about the wonderful tone it is capable of!

Myself, I'm waiting on Randy to give me a price on the amp I'm working with him on. Maybe soon...

David

3. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

I couldn't agree with you more. In hind site, maybe not the correct way to go about it. There have been a couple of instances where similar things like that have happened to other people with Phaez amps. Its the reason I went out of my way to see nothing (especially the switch) was forgotten. Its not the problems that arise, its the way they are handled. I too agree that overall, Phaez is a great company to work with, and said so in a post yesterday.:thumb:

4. arkamps

arkamps Senior Member

You are a real gentleman my friend:applause::applause::applause:

5. watsot

watsot Junior Member

New here, but been following this thread.

Ordered a DC with:
    25W (PP 6V6's)
    with jack for footswitch
    4,8,16 ohm output connections
    treble, bass, mid
    upgrade coupling caps to Sozo's and premium resistors
    Toroidal OT

Should be very close to finished.

What do people think of a Toroidal OT in a guitar amp ? I thought it would make my amp more unique and decided to go for it.

6. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

I think I have a torridial. Sounds great so far, and its cool having that UFO looking thing :)

7. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

You do....I believe it helps reduce noise.

8. rocknhorse1

What is a torridial? I know its the OT, but what is different about it?

9. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

It's more efficient.

10. arkamps

arkamps Senior Member

The Power transformer is what is normally replaced by a toroidal for noise reasons as it spreads out the magnetic interference evenly in a circle and not so directional. Looks is a cool by product. Haven't seen Randy use a toroid tranny on an output yet... The output tranny is closest to the output jacks in most cases.

11. watsot

watsot Junior Member

Oopsss I ment torridial power transformer

12. rocknhorse1

Thanks Bill:thumb:

13. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Having had a Phaez DC with both types of PT, I'd say the torroidal does work better at reducing noise.

14. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

Thinking back on it you're right. My single coils don't sound as "hummy" either at higher gain. Either way the DC is super quiet.

15. Mr_Wormwood

Mr_Wormwood Senior Member

Is the torridial power transformer an option that costs more, and if so anybody know how much extra it is to add to the standard DC 18 watt, or is it specific to the higher end models ( like the lightningcutter)

16. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

It's really not that much more. If a Standard DC is $400, I ordered the Sozo caps, 18w upgrade, and Toroidal Trans for an extra $50. (Assuming the head cab I ordered was an extra $125)

17. Mr_Wormwood

Mr_Wormwood Senior Member

Sent Randy a note asking him his opinion on how advantageous the torridial power transformer is as opposed to his normal power transformer and also what the price difference would be, if he is not already too far along on my amp.

I will keep you guys posted, just in case that is an option that might appeal to any of you who are thinking of having him build you an amp.

He said this about mine...
    "I just wrote a deadline on it - DUE MAY 25."

and to that I say w00t!!!

18. arkamps

arkamps Senior Member

Well good on ya mate!!:applause:

19. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Senior Member

I've got a 22w HRM + HotCat on the way. That should also have a torridial power transformer as per the 50w but I never actually asked. Maybe I should shoot him a quick e-mail although I really don't want to take up any of his time.:hmm:

20. watsot

watsot Junior Member

I found a very positive article a couple weeks ago about Plitrons OT transformers for guitar amps. http://www.plitron.com/PDF/Atcl_10.pdf I sent Randy the article but dont know if he had time to look at it. Reading other forum blogs where they are talking about needing DC blocking capacitors or having to re-bias all the time with the torodial OT its a little confusing. I am sure I will be happy either way.