NAD Phaez Daisycutter

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Mike-t, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

So my Daisycutter finally came in and I had a some time to play it earlier before quiet time kicked in. It is a one channel 18 watt amp running EL84 tubes with a pedal switched boost. I was definitely curious if the amp was going to live up the hype... and...

This amp is amazing! It is the best sounding amp I have played so far. It matches the sound in my head almost exactly. It gives an awesome Marshall sound, everything from AC\DC to Van Halen. Its very 3d and extremely touch sensitive. It can be played incredibly softly with a light touch and then rip with a hard picking. I wish I had the equipment to record the amp so I could share how great it sounds.

I'm really blown away by how good it sounds. Anyone that is on the fence about these amps, don't hesitate, for the price it can't be beat.

Attached Files:

TeaForTwo likes this.
  2. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Congratulations! Another Phaez convert. The Daisycutter really is a great amp and the head cab is very cool!

3. Memphs202

Memphs202 Senior Member

congrats!!!

4. Quill

Quill Senior Member

That amp looks just great. You Phaez players ... your enthusiasm definitely has got my amp-problem-saturated attention.

5. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Another couple of cool things...

The blue "On" light is quite bright, almost like a flashlight bulb and puts out a blue hue in a dark room.

There is an output on the back labeled "Line Out"... I'm guessing its for recording\phones, tomorrow I will find out for sure.

6. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Congrats! The line out is to go DI (best with a redbox or similar) or into another amp (SS works great for this) with time delay effects in between - a tone that no effects loop anywhere could possibly match. Welcome to the club.

7. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

I LOVE my daisycutter. One hell of an amp! It sounds great with alnico speakers imo

8. Tuya Customs

Double post

9. rspeer

rspeer Member

Congrats on your Daisycutter! I'm really looking forward to mine arriving in a few weeks. Sounds like the features on mine will be close to yours, however, I did ask for a tube-buffered effects loop. I plan to run a bit of delay in the Daisycutter, with a bit of reverb/chorus in my DRRI. ABY'd thru a Radial Bones switcher. What speakers/cab setup are you using? I'm looking for a big sounding 1x12, and am seriously considering building a Thiele TL806 with an Emi Delta 12-A Pro. Unless, of course, I find a nice used Mesa Thiele.

Enjoy your amp!

10. GibsonByBirth

GibsonByBirth Banned

I am still waiting for mine. I was a little late in paying the down. But it still has been many weeks with only one email. I want mine now.

11. Tuya Customs

Well I'd call up lopoline.com they can custom make you and oversized 1x12 to suit your needs, for cheap too! I'm selling a scumback speaker if you need one for your cab :)

12. ExpatBrit

ExpatBrit Senior Member

Congrats to the new and prospective Phaez owners. Great choice, you will love this amp.

13. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Right now I am just running an epiphone 1X12 cab with Hellatone speaker. I can't even imagine what it will sound like through a good 2X12

14. LPV

LPV Senior Member

A 412 works nice too.

15. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

What was the price of your amp? If you don't mind me asking. Was shipping incl.?
    How long is the lead time? I have become more than a little interested in these things. Enjoy, it really looks awesome.:thumb:

16. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

I've tried several different speakers and configurations with my Phaez. I think the best hi-gain (Marshall/Vox) voicing is with a 2x12 Weber British Series 1225 ceramic speakers. I had them in an open back combo. A closed back cab would change the voicing, probably for the better. MLP member DefTone uses these speakers in a 2x12 closed back cab with his Phaez so he could comment.

17. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

The Webers sound excellent with my Phaez. They're in an Avatar vertical 2x12 cab and the combo has really worked out to be a phenominal set up.

18. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Could you explain this in a little more detail and maybe add in a real world application? I'm guessing this is similar to how Phaez preamp's work but I'm not quite sure of the practical applications. Also, if I am using the line out, does a speaker still need to be connected to the amp? Sorry if I am a little boneheaded when it comes to this end of amps/preamps as I don't have any experience with it.

19. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Yes, you always should have a speaker connected.

Basically you can go line out from your daisycutter into any other amp or a console. It will not stop the signal from going thru the power amp section of the amp (silence it). The advantage of going into another amp and running a delay for ex. in bettween is you still get your pure, unadulterated powertube growl from your phaez and you can blend in effects to a dedicated amp making a killer stereo setup. IMO a clean (and cheap:)) solid state amp that doesn't color the tone actually works better as the second amp. I do this into a 200w bass amp and it sounds unfriggin' real. I suggested the red box for going D.I. (direct in) to a console because any amp's preamp alone sounds thin. A redbox is a popular cab emulator. Sounds REALLY good and prevents mike bleed live on a small stage.

[​IMG]

20. Mike-t

Mike-t Senior Member

Cool, now I'm starting to get it! Do you have any suggestions for good SS amps that would handle that type of work well?