NAD | Orange Rockerverb MK III

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by afjungemann, Nov 30, 2016.

1. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

I just couldn't resist anymore. I had planned on possibly selling my Dual Dark to fund this but after being patient, getting some funds together, and also finding a great deal, I decided to keep both for now. My DD is at the practice space but hopefully I can AB these amps to really put them both through their paces. Until then, I will just keep rocking this amp. Damn it sounds so good! Way more aggressive than I thought it would.

[​IMG]

El Pablo and lunchbox like this.
  2. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Congrats!

3. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Congrats on the new amp! I love my Rockerverb MKIII. The attenuator and the new clean channel are totally worth it. The dirty channel is where it's at though - thick and beefy with tons of gain. I also got the 100 watter, and the power scaling is great. Enjoy!

4. afjungemann

Thanks guys. I am still getting used to some of it. I have been running different guitars through it and surprised by how awesome each guitar sounds. I'm a metal/hard rock player most of the time and I am surprised to say that at this point, my melody maker with p90's sounds the best through it. Having the dual dark, I figured I would be familiar with the amount of gain but the gain structures feel different. The rockerverb doesn't ever sound choked out when using low to mid gain. The dual dark doesn't necessarily but the rockerverb seems to have a leg up in this category.

The detested pots are interesting. I think I like them more because I can recall settings better (3 clicks down from center or stuff like that).

5. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

Congratulations on the new Orange! I'm considering getting the Mark III as well, trying to decide between the 100 or the 50 watt versions.

6. afjungemann

Yeah, I wasn't sure on that either at first but what swayed me was the 100 is capable of everything the 50 is through power switching and the price difference was negligible at the price I bought mine.

Supposedly the 100 has some beefed up internals but I can really say for sure.

7. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

I bought the 100 watt for the same reason - it can do everything the 50 can do, plus it has beefier transformers. The 50 has a half power switch on the front so it can do 25 or 50 watts. The 100 has the half power switch on the front and a 2 tubes - 4 tubes switch on the back. This allows you to run several configurations:

- 100 watts at full power (4 tubes setting)
    - 50 watts at full power (2 tubes setting)
    - 50 watts at half power (4 tubes setting)
    - 25 watts at half power (2 tubes setting)

EDITED TO ADD - I WAS WRONG BEFORE - THESE ARE THE CORRECT POWER SETTINGS ACCORDING TO THE ORANGE WEBSITE:

100 watts at full power (4 tubes)
    70 watts at half power (4 tubes)
    50 watts at full power (2 tubes)
    30 watts at half power (2 tubes)

Add the onboard attenuator, and you have a world of great options. Honestly, I wouldn't even recommend getting a MKII anymore unless you find a screaming deal ($900 or less) because I believe the features on the MKIII are worth the extra money. I sold my MKII and haven't looked back - they are great amps, no question, but I prefer the new clean channel and the power scaling.

I bought mine used in mint condition. The 100 watters are not much more expensive if you look a little. I got mine for less than what I see 50's going for right now. I think people see "100 watts" and get scared off. Get one - it's totally worth it.

8. afjungemann

I agree with everything you stated! Something I didn't know until I got my dual dark is that the power options are actually:

That was also another selling point for me because you have 4 completely different wattage scenarios you can run.

But yes, I came across several great used options for the MK II but for me, the attenuator was huge. I absolutely love it on my dual dark for solo boosts. Plus with the MK III, you can either have a great clean channel with a dirty channel or you can crank your attenuator so you can get the clean channel into a crunch mode and then use the dirty for heavier saturation.

9. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

You know what - I just checked the Orange website, and I was wrong. The Rockerverb 100 MKIII is spec'd as having the same four power settings as the Dual Dark:

https://orangeamps.com/rockerverb-100-mkiii-head/

10. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

I haven't seen any used (haven't really looked that hard though) but the price difference is negligible for what you get. I think I've made my choice. Now I have to convince myself that I REALLY need another amp.

I almost bought a Mark II when the IIIs came out because they were marked down so far, but the attenuator and options made me hold off. Glad I did now.

11. afjungemann

It threw me at first too. After learning that, I have been experimenting with what setting sounds best. Supposedly 4 tubes at half power is supposed to be a little tighter sounding but I haven't actually heard that in real life.

12. afjungemann

Yeah, I can't say the MK II is a bad amp either. I haven't had extensive time with one but every time I hear one, they sound really good. The feature set of the MK III is what got me.

13. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

I find the 100 watt setting to be the tightest, and the 30 watt setting to be the spongiest. Neither is bad, and I could live with any of the four settings if it was the only option. I haven't spent enough time A/Bing the middle settings (70 and 50 watts), but I don't find them to be drastically different. Now I want to go home and listen closely to the middle settings, especially considering that they are different wattages.

Honestly, the attenuator takes the edge off of the volume enough that I worry less about what power setting I am using. Whenever possible, I just leave it in 100 watt mode with the attenuator around 11 o'clock. Like any amp, I find that once you attenuate the volume below a certain level, you aren't moving the speakers that same way, and it starts to sound....less huge? I still prefer this amp at moderately high volume levels regardless of settings.

14. afjungemann

exactly. I usually leave mine on 30 watts for home practice and then 100 watts for band practice. I haven't found the middle settings to be tighter but it may be more subtle and I just don't notice it yet. I use my attenuator for solo boosts so mine is usually around 10-11 o'clock as well but I have never really had volume control issues where I am turned way down unless I am at home.

it is weird that my 100 watt half stack is easier to control for bedroom volume than my TH30 combo. Hopefully orange continues sticking attenuators on their new models.

15. FIREpunkMedic27

FIREpunkMedic27 Junior Member

Love this amp!!! I actually got the MKIII 50w 2x12 combo. After being a lifetime Marshall player Orange has me (and my money) now. The attenuator was a total fucking game changer, am I right?! I play in a punk band and this amp can do EVERYTHING. The palm mutes are RIDICULOUS!!! The open back fills the room really well too! Cheers fellas!

16. afjungemann

Awesome! I would love to have a rockerverb combo as well. Still loving my rockerverb. It keeps getting better.

jojo likes this.
  17. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Sounds to me like you really find this amp to your liking.

What do you mean by getting better? Warmer sounding? More organic sounding? I just purchased a new Dark Terror just about a month ago and I'm expecting that over time it will sound even better than I think it does right now. I really like the Orange sound.

Classicplayer

18. afjungemann

Oh I guess I am not even positive the actual tone improves, I just mean that i find more and more reasons to love it. It is so basic of layout but about every spot on the dial gives me something I love.

The dark Terror is one of my favorites as well. I would love to get one just for its small form factor and how cool they are. My home rig is a TH30 which is essentially a dark Terror with a clean channel.

Classicplayer likes this.
  19. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Would love to add an Orange amp to my arsenal one day.