NAD: Orange OR15

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by guitfiddle, Oct 10, 2017.

1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Dude thanks so much. I've always wondered that and if amps with multiple jacks would work like that. I've always wanted to see a amp manual for an amp with that set up and you just confirmed that for me. Clearly the internal circuits compensate. Logically my brain would say NO!! running a single cable labeled 8ohm to a single 16ohm speaker. As much as I'd like a matching Orange speaker cab right now it's not in the budget along with the amp.

guitfiddle likes this.
  2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Iroc, if you google your amp and add "manual" to the search term (i.e. "Fender Hot Rod DeVille manual"), you'll almost always find a PDF of the manual, so long as it's not too old. Bookmark it or download it, and you'll have it for reference.

3. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I stopped saving paper manuals a long time ago. They’re all online.

4. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

If you can remember the evening; where abouts did you have the amp's gain and volume knobs positioned?

Classicplayer

5. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Senior Member

I had the volume at noon, and the gain just under noon. When I used my Ibanez, I boosted the gain just over noon to balance it with the SG.

The EQ was set to T5/M6/B6

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Have u been inside to peek at the tubes yet? Are they JJ? Any plans to change them ?

7. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Senior Member

I haven't looked inside yet, but my other two Oranges use JJs. I might roll a few preamp tubes soon...I have a good old RCA I might put in there.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I do like JJ's in my TT best. If you're in to rolling, you might want to roll in some 6P14P-EV power tubes, if you haven't already tried them. These Soviet tubes are meant for war, and they are strong little buggers at that. The Tube Store sells them as their 'Preferred Series' EL-84 tubes. Great store, but they sell for half their price from good Ukraine and Latvian vendors on ebay.

9. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

They are the tubes known for their earlier break up and really thick glass right? I dig the Mullard reissue for same reasons and they're also a communist made tube. Not a big fan of JJ although they definitely have their place but the EL844 tubes are a ton of fun to try in place of reg el84 on these style amps

northernguitarguy likes this.
  10. Classicplayer

I forgot to ask also: if you were to us this at home, would you have the gain and volume set as high as at the bar?

I went and compared the last video to a 2005 video of Sabbath doing the same number. Aside from the sound system differences, your version is really authentic and together......a really great job. Your audience at the gig bore that out, too. Well done!

Classicplayer

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Thick glass, yes. Early breakup, no, actually later. I use them in my VOX, which I usually only play clean. They give this amp a marginal headroom bump.

12. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Senior Member

At practices, I just run the volume and gain down around 11 o'clock. I don't have much use for 7 watt mode yet.

13. Classicplayer

Interesting: what you run the volume and gain at. With my Dark Terror, I'm finding that running both volume and gain @at about the same numbers, i.e.
    9, 10, or 11 gives me my best tone with my 2 Les Pauls.
    For me it's just a matter of using my Lester's' volume controls to cleanup when rolling th guitar back a notch, or for more grit....rolling up. I'm now wondering if some of the Oranges sound their best when doing something similar with the amps' controls!?

Classicplayer

guitfiddle and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  14. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Well, with the master on that bad boy, I've pretty much found that a guy doesn't really need the 7 watt mode.

guitfiddle and Classicplayer like this.
  15. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

And I realize now what a terrible match the Emi Ramrods were with that amp. lol

Orange amps need V30’s or G12H series speakers to bring out their best. My CRPRO412 has the Orange Voice of the World speakers, and they sound excellent.

I wish they would make a OR30 already. Don’t know what the hold up is.

16. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

That depends on how loud you’ll be playing. I play hard/stoner rock and found the OR15 to be underpowered. It just didnt have enough balls and low end. I sold it and got a CR120H and am much happier. It’s a way more powerful amp.