NAD - More Marshall Goodness!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GibsonKramer, Aug 2, 2017.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Most of my LPs were run through a DSL40C, before I bought them. If it didn't sound good on it, I wouldn't buy it. It's hard, to not sound good, on a DSL. Plus, it matched well, with what I had at home. So I knew I'd probably be happy.

When they sold it, I was crushed. Everyone used that amp. You'd have to wait for it some days. I didn't buy it myself, simply because I knew that thing was "used," by that point. I've been bouncing around, between whatever is in store now. Mostly used stuff, which moves fairly regular.

So when a limited edition cream DSL40C gets unboxed, right as I walk in the front door. It was meant to be.

It's a DSL. If you haven't heard one, or played one, and you like high gain... you are missing out. When asked to list my Top 5 Marshalls, recently. The DSL was on that list. I've wanted this amp, since before it walked out that door, over a year ago.

The Katana? Man, it's a nice little amp. Good output. I would highly recommend to anyone that likes modeling, and Boss effects. I'm just not there. Next to my other amps... they're just "meh." It was relegated to playing backing tracks. My Micro Terror, can do that. So, it became expendable.

It's going to take a while to break in the speaker. We'll see if I have the patience, especially when I can plug into one of two V30 loaded cabs. I still want to buy one of the Celestion voiced WGS 12"... now might be a good time? I don't know. It sounds good now, just extremely fizzy until that damn speaker breaks in. I know what a broken in one sounds like, and I like them. So, who knows?

[​IMG]

With her partner in high gain assault.

[​IMG]

With '90 Standard...

[​IMG]

Just the Marshalls, and a couple Customs.

[​IMG]

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

3. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Happy new amp day, it looks good in cream. Love my DSL40C, best 400 bucks I'll ever spend.

4. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Sweetness! :thumbs:

bulletproof and GibsonKramer like this.
  5. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

What? No JCM800's in that collection?

6. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Outstanding!!!! :applause::applause::applause:

7. GibsonKramer

JCM1H, sitting on a JMP1H, running through the Mesa.

Haven't found a suitable full size. Last one I saw, was pretty beat, and they wanted $1,200. No way in Hell, am I paying that. My Jubilee cost that much, and it's in excellent condition.

bulletproof and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Oh heck freakin yeah Brother, CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS !!!!!!!

9. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Congrats on the DSL40C! Looks great in cream. I love mine so much it pretty much ended my desire for another Marshall-style amp. Of course I'd take a 1959 or 2204, but mainly for the historical value. I get every sound I want out of the good ol' DSL at any volume.

bulletproof and GibsonKramer like this.
  10. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I scored a 2014 Melody Maker the other day, the DSL40c loves P90's a whole lot, i've got tone for days going on. What a great amp.

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

What's the story with that gorgeous artwork on that cab? Is that a factory limited run like the pinup series they did a while back?

12. GibsonKramer

It's the Vicky Morgan JVM 1H head, and cab from the Tattoo Series, Marshall put out a few years ago.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I fn love it!!
    I have a white tolex DSL40c that I thought was bad ass, but THIS!!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  14. GibsonKramer

I am now officially the coolest kid on my block (shush, I'm 50... so what?). Or at least I have the coolest DSL40C on the block.

Man, if you own one... this is a worthwhile investment (was $95 with the shipping - Reverb). We're talking another level. And the EQ section becomes so much more versatile! Plus, even with the speaker upgrade, I'm well under what these still sell online for.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When asked why I was swapping out speakers? Uhm... any questions? :cool2:

[​IMG]

It took me longer to take pictures, than to swap it out. What a difference! Night and day! The BMT is actually usable now, without having to plug into one of my ext. cabs. I was not enjoying the break in, on the Seventy/80. All those guitars I bought playing through a very well-used DSL40C, sounded like dog crap, through the brand new speaker. Only guitar I enjoyed playing with the stock speaker, was my '68 Reissue Custom. But, it sounds good through anything.

That Seventy/80 brand new... its ice picks on my ears.

The V30 changed all that. I can still hear the stiffness in the cone, which will obviously work out. But, I can use my treble now... actually adjust it above 2. I can use resonance and not turn the bass into a flubby mess.

This one is going to be fun to break in. Not like nails on a chalk board. That's about my only knock on the DSL. The stock speaker, is horrid, out of the box. I wouldn't want to lug it anywhere... it is a beast now.

Some more pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bulletproof likes this.
  15. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

That Marshall family pic is absolutely amazing... the whole room looks so inspiring :)

Congratulations dude

GibsonKramer and bulletproof like this.
  16. GibsonKramer

Thanks!

Yeah, it's kind of a mixed blessing. Sometimes it's hard to get other things done. That room, is a constant draw. My days are mostly filled with trying to plan them, so I can get in the for a couple/few hours, every night.

Then once you're in there, leaving is hard. I'll catch myself a lot of times, just sitting in there, glazed look, staring at the walls.

Mockbel likes this.
  17. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

That's what I would do to (just stare at the wall of marshall goodness)
    That speaker upgrade is the way to go. I put a Creamback and mine and it made a big difference!

GibsonKramer likes this.