NAD: Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Axiomatik, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

ill post details here!

I'm almost 100% sure they priced as a non plus model as GC doesn't currently have any plus models for sale and it was priced the same as a non plus. It's also a tan tolex/wicker.

GC has a 45 day return policy as i'll keep one and sell/return the other.. :facepalm:

If i'm honest i'm a bit drunk and might regret this decision in the morning... we will see..

[​IMG]

jimmer_5 likes this.
  2. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Even if it's not your main thing.....can you get nice thick "jazz cleans" with this amp?
    P.S. While I'm a bit of a traditionalist, that is a really pretty blue guitar!

3. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

You can always turn up the mids and turn down the treble I suppose, but this is more of a "Fendery" clean in my opinion.

4. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

what's an example of jazz cleans? As Jimmer said, the 5:25 [cleans] sound like it's from the Fender family.

5. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Congrats! You got a nice amp that should make you happy for a long time.

Been through this journey myself a few months ago. I'm a long time guitarist, who has always been on a budget. I've never had an amp I really liked and played my very first amp for more than 20 years. I tried out every sub $800 tube amp (new price) I could find. Finally got a DSL40c from Sweetwater with the Creamback speaker and am tickled pink. I know many guitarists with a better budget than I have think it's Asian made trash but it does everything I have ever wanted it to do (except the reverb could be better). I am going to get a TC Hall of Fame pedal though to make up for that.

6. Hatefulsob

Hatefulsob Senior Member

Axl said;
    "what's an example of jazz cleans?
    Not the only example but:
    Pretty straight ahead tone:
    and for kicks.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPvQwjpoeE
    I know Jim was playing through a Gibson Ga-50 here; certainly thicker mids than a blackface DR

7. jb_abides

jb_abides Senior Member

Happy NAD, nice rig. I have a Blueberry Burst myself.

8. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

Just got the Plus version today. Happy I shipped to GC.. one of the tubes blew after install ( the store manager installed them). She replaced it with Groove tube, not sure exactly which model. The tube was in the 2nd position and all the other tubes are Mesa branded. Not sure if I should move the GT tube to a different slot or just keep it the way it is. To what degree will this effect sound.

EDIT: I'm also getting a pop sound when i use the footswitch to go from burn/blues -> Clean. There's no pop the other way around... Should I contact Mesa or is it normal?

9. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Does it pop everytime you switch? Mine pops only the first time I switch channels.

10. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

Everytime

My Mesa Stack

[​IMG]

jimmer_5 likes this.
  11. Axiomatik

Axiomatik Member

Just to follow up on this thread. I'm going to return the Express +. For a couple reasons:

- It makes an annoying "pop" sound every time I change channels, not super loud, but my express non-plus doesn't make any sound.
    - It makes a very loud "pop" sound when hit the EQ button for the first time, this is very noticable.
    - It doesn't sound that much different to my non-plus (can't justify the extra cost)
    - The gain/burn channel isn't as good as other amps in the same price range.