NAD: Marshall SV20H (Vintage)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by KelvinS1965, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Senior Member

After tagging onto some other NAD threads, I thought I'd put mine up here. Haven't had long with it, but it arrived this afternoon. As expected it is very loud, even in 5 watt mode (through a 2x12 Greenback cab), so will not really be used at home. I bought it for gigging and studio rehearsals where I can turn it up. It's quite a different beast to my 2525H Mini Jubilee head, but there wouldn't be much point having both if it wasn't.

Plexi 1.jpg

This is where my 2525H usually lives, so it's a nice stealthy install (I do keep the door open when playing of course ;) ).
    Plexi 3.jpg

I'll take some photos of it on top of the custom cab I had made to match my 1 watt JMP1 head as that will be it's main set up for gigging. I'll decide if I want to swap the V30 for a Greenback in that cab, maybe give my wallet a chance to breathe first. :)

JohnnyN, EndGame00, smk506 and 11 others like this.
  2. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

Congrats! I will have one as soon as they come down in price (start showing up used).

3. KelvinS1965

Mine was a bit down in price; it was B stock due to some mark on the front panel (that I can't see). Between the B stock markdown and that UK prices have gone up by £25 since yesterday I can't complain. To impatient to wait for used ones to appear. :)

I'll have to get my JMP1-H advertised though as I don't have any use for it now.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  4. frozenotter

frozenotter Defaulting to Dumb Premium Member

Awesome. Congrats on that badboy! :yesway:

5. KelvinS1965

I saw another NAD got closed down (for a SC20H), sorry to see that.

These amps are way cheaper than a lot of the guitars we talk about on this particular forum, but it seems for some reason if an amp is deemed 'expensive' then it seems to get people aggravated.

I got a bit of flack last year when I bought the Fender '64 Deluxe Reverb, not because it's a bad amp...just because people felt it was overpriced. Oddly some of those people have lists of multiple amps that would have easily paid for the '64 (or the SV20H that this NAD thread is about) a couple of times over. I've seen some list of 5 or more different (but essentially similar) Les Pauls in their signature that each would be worth more than the '64 (and a couple of these Marshalls).

I don't get why it's OK to spend £3k on a guitar (and multiple ones with some variations like colours or perhaps pick ups), but not 'expensive' amps. I'd rather have a few really good amps than the collection of amps I used to have (and sold to purchase the ones I have now).

BKS, rxbandit, Classicplayer and 7 others like this.
  6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I think the clone market makes buying amps more of a price decision rather than brand (for some people). So they find it hard to comprehend that others might have different value judgements than they do.

7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

CON-FREAKIN-GRATS! I'll bet that's SWEET sounding. Kossoff/Free for days.

Can't wait to see your cab too

smk506, lakeburst and Gtarzan81 like this.
  8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Remember all the flack over the 50th Anni Marshalls?

I regret parting with my JMP1

KelvinS1965 and lakeburst like this.
  9. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

OH YEAH! Congrats, and HNMAD! :applause: :rock: :dude: :headbanger:

KelvinS1965 and lakeburst like this.
  10. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

I have no need for a 20W amp. But I need a Marshall SV20H, y'know? I have cabs & speaker cable just waiting to hook up to one.

11. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

:applause: :applause: :applause:

C O N G R A T S!

:dude: :headbanger: :dude:

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  12. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

HNAD! That should sound great with the Greenbacks.

13. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

It's also a 5W amp, so you're out of excuses!

14. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

15. KelvinS1965

Had it cranked last night in the studio...sounds great and the mix of the two gain controls gives a lot of flexibility to the sound, without touching the eq. I only tried 20 watt mode cranked for a short while as the studio isn't that big and didn't want to annoy the rest of the band, but it just seemed the same, just a bit louder, so 5 watt mode seems very usable to me. Hopefully that means for gigs I can just flick to 20 watt mode and not need to re-adjust my settings.

As a side product; last night we were one amp short due to a mix up, so in the end two of us plugged into my Vintage and had a channel each. I confess we then both used pedals as the Vintage was set clean(ish) and we tweaked our tone in the pedals to compensate, but it was just a work-round so we could both play.

16. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

How is the volume-wise of the Vintage compare to the mini Jube?

That Vintage is begging for Greenies:dude:

17. KelvinS1965

Purely anecdotal, but I'd say the Vintage seems louder, at least on 5 watt mode. Haven't compared them side by side.

I'm using mine with Greenies when at home (it was some MG series cab at the studio last night). I haven't tried it through my Mini Jubilee 2x12 cab yet as that is packed away (it has UK V30s in it). I think I'll end up replacing the non UK V30 I have in a custom 1x12 cab for another Greenback at some point as that's the one I'm most likely to use with the Vintage...it's a perfect cosmetic match too as I had it made to go with my JMP1-H.

18. ErictheRed

ErictheRed Senior Member

It's probably hard to compare volumes unless you swap all tubes (use the exact same ones in all).

19. KelvinS1965

Maybe, but I'm not going to do that just to confirm or not...it doesn't really matter as either can go more than loud enough for my needs. :)

I've ordered a Palmer 16ohm attenuator, so can trim the level back a bit in the smaller studio and hopefully be able to crank it a bit at home too so I can get used to how the controls work/sound. At the studio I don't get much time to mess about with settings, but it didn't take long the other night it was just a little louder than we'd normally play in that particular studio.

20. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Congratulations on the new Marshall! You wrote that it is quite a bit different than your mini
    Jubulee. Have you compared their tones to each other, as yet; and through the same speaker configuration? Would like to read your description or review.

Classicplayer

R'nien likes this.