NAD: EVH 5150III EL-34 50watt

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by JLT73, Nov 2, 2017.

1. JLT73

JLT73 Senior Member

The amp sounds amazing. The clean channel is beyond amazing and has some great chime. The crunch channel I haven’t found anything I care for with low gain yet. I feel like this will take the longest to dial in to the sweet spot I like. The lead channel is everything you would ever expect from a 5150. I’m definitely not used to this level of gain but I love it. For whatever reason I can’t stop playing Alice In Chains. It’s has that wonderful deep grinding sound of the song Them Bones. I am in love.
    [​IMG]

2. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Niiiiice! Have you played the original 50 W version?

JLT73 likes this.
  3. JLT73

JLT73 Senior Member

I did play them side by side yesterday. I enjoyed the EL34 a little more as it had a little more of the British flavor and the bigger selling point was the LE 34 version has concentric pots for gain and volume for channels 1 and 2. The original 50w version does not have the concentric pots and there is a volume jump issue.

needlespauls likes this.
  4. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Looks bad ass! happy NAD!

JLT73 likes this.
  5. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Killer man!
    I have the six L6 version and overall I thought it was really good, especially the blue channel. There was a little bit of a nasally tone to it though, always snarling. And yes of course the volume jump. Obviously you made the right choice!

JLT73 likes this.
  6. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

Nice rig. How would you compare it to your TSL?

JLT73 likes this.
  7. JLT73

JLT73 Senior Member

Better cleans. Not to discount the cleans on my TSL though. I get a great clean tone on my TSL, but the EVH is just a bit more spanky. For the crunch channel, I think the TSL edges out the EVH on this. Both are good, but the TSL is a bit more versatile in the lower gain/saturation levels. For the Lead Channel, I really enjoy both. The EVH is more saturated while the TSL is a little drier. Both sound great, but just a different flavor.

I'm really excited to start doing to some recording and tracking both amps. I think they will really compliment each other well.

El Pablo likes this.