NAD: Carol-Ann OD2-50...wow...**Clips Added!**

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by b-squared, Nov 13, 2010.

1. b-squared

b-squared Banned

After what seemed like months (it was only weeks...LOL) it finally came in...my Carol-Ann OD2-50.

Me doing a little ZZ Top (Just Got Paid)

Bill Landry testing one of our Prototype bridge pickups... :D

[​IMG]

It's a nice little amp...compact package, weighs about 40 pounds. Two 6L6 powered, and it has two channels.

One slick feature--it has an input gain...so you can dial in how hard the guitar is (or isn't) hitting the preamp section. That gives a little more 'oompf' when you want it.

I first pulled off the back to make sure the tubes were all seated (they were), so I plugged it in and turned it on...I grabbed my '76 LP, that still has a prototype set it in. (Think hot peppers... :D)

I grabbed the nearest cab, which was a 1960B with the standard 75 watt Celestions...not a favorite speaker of many...which made the test even more fun.

Clean channel first...two mini-switches on the front add a couple of thing: one switch adds some 'fatness' and a little gain, and the other adds some high-end harmonics, or 'sparkle'...I left the sparkle off, but turned on the other. Very fat and warm sound. The neck was quite jazzy...really jazzy. The tone had just a little edge on it, like an old Fender turned up a bit--I liked it. The middle position got that classic Dickey Betts tone, and the bridge was nice and bright, but not ice-picky bright.

OK, now the OD channel...SWEET....now I see why Joe Bonamassa plays one very similar to this. Fat, warm, mid-rangy tone, with a super tight OD behind it. I cannot emphasize how quickly I got a nice tone...literally in the first minute. Think of the tone for the Black Crowes lead on 'Hard to Handle'...nails that easily. I'd even say it's a Dumble-esque kind of tone, like Robben Ford gets with his Dumbles. The footswitch not only changes channels, but offers a mid-range boost, quite nice for leads--doesn't get super loud, but loud enough to punch through the mix when you need it.

Oh, one other nice feature. The effects loop level control on the back of the amp also acts like an attenuator, so you can dial in a great tone, then adjust to the volume level you need...nice feature.

In Joe B's gear video he demonstrates raking full chords...I tried that...oh yeah--you hear every note.

I took the amp to band practice last night and plugged it into an open-back 2x12 (Heritage G12H30 and a V30)...Wow (again). I dialed in the attenuator to fit with the practice room, and off we went. No effects, just guitar->amp. The guitar and amp cut through wonderfully. There were a lot of approving nods in the practice room. :D

This is one incredible amp...it's not cheap, but after I played it I know why. You can hear the quality in this beast, and get a superior tone (and I mean SUPERIOR) without paying Two-Rock or Dumble prices.

I bought this amp for my store, but heck...I might have to buy it myself! :naughty:

I give the Carol-Ann OD2-50 :thumb: :thumb: -- no wonder this amp gets rave reviews!

I'm taking the amp over to a friends to do some short videos, and hope to have them up later.

BB

b3john, tojo and VictorB like this.
  2. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Beautiful. I have only ever seen one in real life one time :( But yes, they are unreal.

3. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Two snaps up, eh?! :)

4. b-squared

b-squared Banned

With a circle! :D

5. hipofutura

hipofutura Senior Member

Dumble genius.

Nice amp BB!

6. ApostleTone

ApostleTone Senior Member

Nice score! Congrats on your new amp.

7. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Couple of clips added to OP...

BB

8. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Impressive tone indeed!

9. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Two snaps in Z formation!!

10. Duane24

Duane24 Senior Member

neat, never heard of a carol ann.

i can tell it sounds good, but what you posted is a little too heavy on the OD for my taste, if you're making any more clips I'd love to hear it just a pinch more cleaned up.

b3john likes this.
  11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

I like the salt and pepper cloth. Looks nice but it's a bitch to work with.

12. rick13

rick13 Senior Member

The OD2 can do stellar clean and everything else in between....
    Rick

13. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Couple of pics from the day we did the clips...

[​IMG]

Man, you think the Carol-Ann sounds good, you should here it blended with the Landry...WOW.

Here's one of Bill playing my '76 Custom, testing out some prototypes:

[​IMG]

BB

14. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Just a beautiful amp man. I looked at some other you tube clips after you posted yours. It makes me feel really good knowing that there still amps that good being built today. Love it. A real "mature" sound. So refreshing.

15. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Wow. That really sounds incredible.

16. mxk116

mxk116 Senior Member

Just picked up a 50W EL34 OD2 w/fx loop and gain boost (upgraded to Mk2 spec by Alan in Feb 2010). Can't wait to get it here. I stumbled across this thread and it makes me even more excited. The ZZ Top clip made my day. Thanks!

17. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Awesome, let me know how it turns out!

Thanks for the compliment! :D

BB

18. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Wow! I know its just a sound clip but it really sounds amazing BB! Congrats!

19. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Congrats... It sounds totally sweet, I liked the sound clips a lot!

20. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

sick head, sick tone, sick vibe,