NAD, 1979 Marshall JMP Mk2 Master Lead

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Gridlock, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Just bought this 1979 Marshall JMP Mk2 Master Lead 50 watt Combo today.

My very first Marshall was a 1977 JMP Master Volume 50w Head and half stack that I bought new.

I loved that Marshall, and I eventually sold it to finance a honeymoon.

Resorting back to my youth, I purchased this JMP online, sight unseen except for a few photos and a few conversations with the salesperson.

I hope to receive the JMP early next week. It has original Marshall branded Celestion G12-65’s speakers and appears to be in pretty fair shape. I hope that the guts are original also and sounds as good as reported.

Pictures attached.
    Gridlock

Attached Files:

16 people like this.
  2. illiniknick

illiniknick Senior Member

3. logen99999

logen99999 Senior Member

it's a 2204 in there right? thems some sweet rock machines.

4. NativH

NativH Premium Member

Great amp. Had a '79 2204 back in the day and can't remember if those used 6550's or EL34's. Seem to remember those were 6550 amps. Looks in good enough shape that it probably has those original tubes in it. Should sound awesome.:thumb:

5. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Thanks Guys,

I am curious about the tubes also and if the guts are original (hope, hope, hope). The old school style with controls on top, checker grill cloth, and G12-65's it should be good...

Gridlock

6. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

Cool! I don't think I've ever seen one of those before, looks good. :thumb:

7. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Yea, you don't see these very often, a few on sale on eBay. If it is still pretty much original it will be a keeper.

Amp is in transit and should know more mid week.

Thanks,
    Gridlock

2 people like this.
  8. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Yes, definitely a 2204.

1 person likes this.
  9. Backstage

Backstage Senior Member

YAY - Rock'n'Roll :).
    Happy NAD.

10. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Congrats and HNAD Gridlock!!!! :applause::dude::headbanger:

11. 12watt

12watt Senior Member

Very nice, I had a '77 2x12" combo, wish I'd kept it now.

12. Six Gun

Six Gun Senior Member

Cool Amp gridlock,

I have a 1977 myself, my speakers have the Dark Brown Plastic
    covers on the magnets like the greenbacks. My s/n ends in J.,

These amps (USA) shipped with the 6550 Tubes and they put out the power.

This amp is ear-busting,

I had to replace the Cliff Input Jacks because they take a lot of pressure from the guitar cables, as the location for the input is not friendly for jack
    lifetime. So I use 90 degree 1/4" input cables now, and they help from breaking the jacks. Does you amp have the cool old Gold Aluminum Casters?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Very nice amp Sixgun, thanks for sharing pictures and tips. I don't know much about this amp and won't get it until mid week. I am guessing your 1977 is the more sought after JMP combo with those speakers. I'll post more pix etc when I get the amp.
    Thanks
    Gridlock

14. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Well, I picked up the new amp tonight, got her home, pulled it apart, and cleaned it up. Note that I bought this amp sight unseen from Guitar Center Vintage except for just a few pictures and knowing that I could return it if needed.

It appears have all the original components, transformers etc (I am no tech) but there are two extra holes on the top panel next to the two inputs that are plugged and one of the speakers output jacks is missing. The cab is really in nice shape and so is the tolex. The speaker cloth only has one bad spot but no holes or tears. The bottom casters are missing and the amps has been changed over to EL34's.

Firing it up, tubes all light up, no hums, but pots are a little scratchy. I really didn't get a chance to crank it, but with the master at 2, it was not as loud as I would have thought as compared to my old 4104 JCM800 and I really could not get much gain out of it even with the preamp all the way to 10. Also with the master at 2 and the preamp backed down to 5 the volume drop was considerable. I also did not notice a lot of tone change rolling the treble, bass, middle, or presence knobs from full (10) on or off (0). All this was done with the Master set to 2.

This weekend I plan to make a trip to an amp tech determine what’s going on and if it is worth the investment. I think that I only have 9 days to return the amp back to Vintage GC so I will have to move quickly to decide whether to keep this or not. If I decide to keep it, I will restore it with 6550s’ and fix most of the issues. Cost will be the factor.

Attached Files:

16. qpHalcy0n

qpHalcy0n Senior Member

If you're willing to take a pic of the guts, we could probably tell you within 5 minutes what you've got.

It's not uncommon for them to re-use chassis because the only difference between that chassis and a 1959 or 1987 are those two extra input holes. However, they lay the front panel over the holes so you'd never see them. Those would not be stock holes.

17. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Very nice looking amp

18. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Thanks, i appreciate your help. I will get gut pictures up tomorrow evening.

19. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Well, a little bit of false alarm. I got this home rather late last night and tried it at very low volume with my Tele. I could not hear much difference with the tone controls and really could not get much overdirive even with the preamp at 10 (with my Tele).

Well I tried it again tonight with my Les Paul and with the volume up for 2-4 and I could really hear tone control changes and got quite a bit of overdrive with the Les Paul and the preamp between 7-10. Still a major volume drop with the preamp backed down below 5.

Also the Low Sensitivity input only gives slightly overdriven tones even with the preamp set to 10. The volume was also greatly reduced in the Low Sensitivity Input VS the High Sensitivity input.

I can’t believe the difference in tones with the preamp and High/Low Sensitivity settings with the JMP VS my old 1983 JCM800 4104. Both 50 watt amps with the same speakers and the volume level with the JMP set to 4 is similar to the volume level of the JCM800 at 2.

I was under the impression that the early 800’s and the late JMP’s were very similar if not identical.

The amp sounds good but still needs something. I plan to take it back to Guitar Center this weekend and have their amp tech (comes in once a week) to look it over and at least document my issues incase I decide to return this amp.

By the way, I was aware of the two extra holes in the top panel and took a chance that it was back to stock since the holes were plugged (GC return policy). My salesman at GC said no worries that they would return no problem if I decide not to keep it.

The cab is really nice on this amp, only a few minor scuffs and a couple of small snags in the tolex. I have already contact cemented the tears back in place and they are nearly invisible.

I have attached more photos. From my non-tech eyes the JMP looks stock. Maybe the experts out their can help confirm and verify.

Thanks,
    Gridlock

Attached Files:

20. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

More pixs

Attached Files: