N(to me)GD Epiphone Explorer Negative

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by vegetto_456, Oct 5, 2017.

1. vegetto_456

vegetto_456 Senior Member

So I was walking around and browsing the used section at a local long and Mcquade when this beauty caught my eye. I have never seen an explorer with a maple fretboard before.

The next thing that caught my eye was the price: $200 canadian pesos dollars!!!!!!! HOLY SMOKES!! That is freaking cheap compared to even something like the LP100.

So I sat down to play it unplugged and after one strum I knew it was mine. Mother of god, that neck was so smooth and phat! And thicc! Chunky and easy to play. The fretwork was immaculate and aside from one ding, I didn't see any wear and tear. There was this one sticker that the owner had put on but that was easy to take off. Maple fretboard and black fret dots make for a sexy combination imho.

Turns out that Epiphone had a line of guitars in the "Negative" series, much like a photonegative, and it was retailer exclusive. They had a Les Paul Standard, SG standard, a Flying V and a Bass in the line up.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/7030/Guitars/Electric/Epiphone/Explorer_-_Negative.htm

This explorer has made me a believer in Epiphones again. I find myself playing it even when I have only a few minutes of free time, it is that much fun to play! I haven't connected this much with a guitar in a really long time.

I have had it close to 2 weeks now and I still look forward to playing it every night after coming back from work. The fact that it cost $200 makes me giddy all the more.

20171005_182621.jpg 20171005_182554.jpg 20171005_182645.jpg

The only thing I want to change at this moment is the guitar nut. I always prefer a freshly cut nut. The tuners are solid and bridge and tail piece seem fantastic as well. I will be getting a full set up soon enough.

I have no idea what the pickups are but they are warm sounding. I might opt for active pickups down the road. I have a feeling that my future picks up will cost more than the guitar :lol:

PS And now I am on the hunt for the SG and LP negative :dude::dude:

2. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Member

Really nice, I have never seen that guitar before, Tbh I would go for a white pickguard, however black fits it well.
    Enjoy it in good health!

vegetto_456 likes this.
  3. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

I just sold one recently that I had for a couple of months. I loved it! As you say, a nice chunky neck and once I cleaned the previous owner's slime and stain off it a beautiful fretboard and excellent fretwork.

Enjoy! I'm watching for the LP myself.

vegetto_456 and Who like this.
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

Woah! That is Super Sweet!
    Congrats!

vegetto_456 likes this.
  5. vegetto_456

Me neither, wasn't aware of this series of guitars prior to running across it at the store. I think it was a limited run in 2012. I prefer a no pickguard look on explorers ala 1984 explorer. I will try taking off the pickguard and see how she looks, might even try a white one for fun down the line :)

I called around but none of the local stores so I will have to hunt down the rest online. I have yet to clean the fretboard, I can't wait until its cleaned, oiled, and the frets are polished. I am really digging the black binding on the fretboard as well.

And yes, I have to admit I was genuinely impressed by the fretwork, not a rough or sharp end to be found anywhere and the neck doesn't feel sticky with fast playing. I am looking to get the SG and LP as well. Found one video of the SG on youtube and it looks killer.

You gotta play it to believe it! I feel like I stole it.

6. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

great looking congrats!!!!

vegetto_456 likes this.
  7. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

It's actually been a few years now since they were produced, finding one in store new won't be possible at this point I'd think. L&M Exclusive, with I think a few sold in Europe.

I've found that honestly to be the case with most L&M Exclusive Epi. guitars. I'm not ure if they do something before distributing or putting them out, or Epi pays a little more attention. I usually don't have an issue with new Epi fretwork anyway though.

There's an LP Negative on Kijiji locally now. $400. I don't have the cash at the moment though. :facepalm:

vegetto_456 likes this.
  8. vegetto_456

Yup, I called around looking for any used ones but no dice. Any other L&M exclusive epiphones that are worth looking into?

Also, mind PMing me the link to the Kijiji ad please? :) I am curious to see what kind of condition its in.

9. 07rogersg

07rogersg Senior Member

Never seen one of these before; it's beautiful, grats man!

vegetto_456 likes this.