Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. pearl2016

pearl2016 Junior Member

Regarding the Pearl Les Paul copies.... I seem to notice two distinct types:

#1 - Multiple (3) white line edging around the guitar body along with the fleur-de-lis on the headstock along with the Pearl name. Looks just like the Cortez units.

#2 - Single white edge around the entire guitar body, with only the Pearl name on the headstock (no fleur-de-lis).

Do these two styles denote any specific difference in production origin, date, or other?

Thanks.

2. DM426

DM426 Junior Member

Does anyone have any information regarding this guitar:

The present owner believes the luthier was from England, if that helps. Anyone have any idea who the luthier might have been?

Mod Edit:

Link and pics removed

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member-classifieds/171651-please-read-before-posting-ad.html

3. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I don't know but what seller in his right mind would choose 'Beau****'s Outhouse' for his Reverb store name?

A guy who sells Gibsons, so I guess it's appropriate ! (I keeeed I keeeed)

But seriously, if you are selling guitars, let alone 11k guitars you want to promote confidence and scatology is not a great start

4. DM426

DM426 Junior Member

A fair point. I don't know him, but his Reverb info says "Beauregard Sheet."

As for the guitar, it looks like the work of a decent luthier as that top is quite nice. But without knowing who built this guitar, it seems sort of hard to justify the asking price (even if it does sound killer).

Isn't the "Italian job" luthier from England, or am I thinking of someone else?

5. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Junior Member

Anyone ever heard of a Les Paul copy with a 7.25" fretboard radius?

After I got my black unbranded LPC back from the shop, I was informed that the fretboard radius was 7.25". I know Gibsons from the 50's had a 9.5" radius, but I've never heard of 7.25" radius on a Gibson LP or a copy. The shop notched the saddles on my new tone pros bridge to match the radius and I'm having no note choking issues when bending strings up the neck. The guitar is a literal joy to play...it's quite effortless actually. I absolutely love it. The pickups sound so unbelievably killer, I'm glad I kept them.

Photos after the work I had done:

[​IMG]
    Tone Pros bridge, new pots, pickups connected correctly.

[​IMG]
    Sperzel locking tuners, Graph Tech Tusq XL nut

[​IMG]

This guitar is a definite keeper.

6. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

I never have and that's super cool

I love curvy fretboards

I seem to be a real exception in the IP zero attention to make profile and fitness and I couldn't even A 'C' from a 'D' from an isosceles triangle

But when it comes to fretboard radius I do notice and I do care

I like small radius middle radius and a big radius and I would love to be able to choose less balls and have a variety

7. syndromet

syndromet Senior Member

I got this ES-175 copy, and I have no clue who made it and when. It seems to be pretty old, with nice yellowing to the binding. The pickups have been changed, so no help there. One of the volume pots is stamped 304072. It has binding on the headstock, and it seems like a new overlay is installed. It has a gibson logo and crown inlay. It is originally drilled for a three screw TRC. There is no kerfing between back and sides or the top and sides. there are no braces on the top, just a block of wood between the top and back under the bridge. The tuners have been changed for Grovers, but you can see the holes from the original ones. It looks like it used to have nibs. Any idea who made it and when?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. 64F100

64F100 Senior Member

With those inlays, it looks like a Greco ES-175, an S-50.

1 person likes this.
  9. syndromet

syndromet Senior Member

I don't think it's a greco. I have a n-55 from 73, and that has kerfing between the sides and the top and back. Also the holes from the original tuners don't match up with the greco star tuners the grecos had. I have never seen a greco es with a bound headstock, and most of them came with steel bridges, not rosewood like this one have. But thanks for your input, anyway. 😄

1 person likes this.
  10. 64F100

64F100 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm a dummy. I am no help, especially not knowledgable about the internal construction, but if you think the bridge and knobs are original, it seems like a pretty short list of ES175 copies that have that inlay material, gold knobs, bound headstock, wood bridge and that tailpiece style.

So originally the headstock binding would have been visible from the front, right? They just glued the overlay over it?

How wide is the binding on the body at the tip of the point across the top?

11. 'Hege

'Hege Senior Member

OK, read/scan sticky. Check

Looks like MIJ circa 70s Memphis LP with Scroll headstock. But I cannot find any other pictures of this headstock on a Memphis guitar.
    Memphis guitar, possibly Matsumoku? check.

However, the closest I find is Ibanez Custom Agent, also marketed in the UK as Astoria, with the funky headstock, in the mid 70's. but additional inlay in the body at the tailpiece.

Check out the "Glued and Screwed" set neck, and the control cavity pic.

Perhaps a Chinese copy of a Japanese copy of an Ibanez Custom Agent?:laugh2:

Other than being beat to crap around the edges (yeah, yeah, I know, to some it is just a tool to be tossed about... ) there is some separation of the fretboard that needs attention, a poor attempt at a Bigsby removal, I don't know whether to invest a couple hours in this one or make firewood.

Any mystery or fun here, gentlemen?

'Hege

Attached Files:

12. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Fujigen build in my book, though I would have expected a Made in japan engraved neckplate. Maybe that is a replacement? Looks to be a nice guitar.

13. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Junior Member

Thanks...it is indeed. After the shop got finished with it, the playability is off the charts great. It's become my favorite guitar.

14. peterkip

peterkip Junior Member

I recently picked up these two and I'm trying to find out more info on them. The Samick from what I can gather from the serial is from 1993 I think. The Robertson I have no info on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

The Samick is a '93 indeed, made in April of that year. The model name is LSE-450.

1 person likes this.
  16. peterkip

peterkip Junior Member

Thanks for the info PTL

17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Congrats, BTW. I happen to have a '93 Samick Strat from the month before that!

[​IMG]

I find it's more rewarding playing cheap guitars you've tuned up yourself. It looks like you may want to shim the neck on that to get a bit of an angle, seeing how low the bridge is.

18. peterkip

peterkip Junior Member

Thanks again. I see what you mean about the neck, will read up on what is involved.

19. Tokai Hunter

Tokai Hunter Senior Member

20. Ohjay

Ohjay Senior Member

Really strange guitar Tokai_hunter.
    The serial indicates 1984 but Aria stopped producing LP-copies in 1982.
    Furthermore the model looks like an LS400/500 due to the plaintop and lack of FEB. And those models were last made around 1979.