Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. PeeWee

PeeWee Junior Member

Hi all.
    Great to be here, I have been viewing here for a few months and just signed up to the wonderful forum.
    I have a few LP's including Epiphone custom MIK and an old 60's Eros.
    I have just purchased a used LP that seems to be a Samick, can anyone pinpoint the specific model as it has no other identification. Thanks for any help.
    Pete.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. bartidge

bartidge Junior Member

[​IMG]

Yeah - I'm not sure if the headstock hummingbird is brand-related or simply a player-added decal on a generic neck??

I searched for "hummingbird headstock" keywords in googs, but all I get is a plethora of Gibson Hummingbird acoustic search returns (as one would expect).

3. bartidge

bartidge Junior Member

Interesting... the headstock inlay and neck fingerboard block inlays look like an old '80's Burny...

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/92499-late-80s-burny-lp-custom-blackout.html

Looks immaculate!

4. PeeWee

PeeWee Junior Member

I got it in a trade, traded my none brand semi acoustic shallow bowl for this and a squire telecaster.
    After a little set-up and a good clean and polish it plays fantastic (dare I say better than my Epi custom).
    Shiny now! plus a pic of my two white LP's side by side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With my Epi custom
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi PeeWee,

Welcome to MLP !

I have little info with most Korean manufacturer brands, but I would guess it's fairly recent
    as 2014 AV3's still use a circled S badge instead of the full Samick name used on earlier offerings.

For a precise date range you could try contacting Samick directly
    and include the permalinks to your posted pics by right clicking "copy link location"
    for each link below and pasting them into your message :

Samick Music Corporation

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/oth...copy-identification-thread-3.html#post6641913
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/oth...copy-identification-thread-3.html#post6642173

1 person likes this.
  6. BGD

BGD Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I know this sounds silly, but I believe that is a sticker that has absolutely nothing to do with the provenance of the guitar, and I believe I recognize it: it's from a Papyrus greeting card. They make artistic cards, and they all come with a seal that you use to seal the envelope. I recognized it immediately, because I almost always end up getting my wife a Papyrus card for her birthday. (Their blank ones are pretty and tasteful and leave lots of room for writing.) Here are some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bartidge

bartidge Junior Member

Interesting... certainly looks like it. Thx.

The guitar sold on online auction and took over 14 bids, so a few were interested in it.. whatever it is...

8. Vaughn77

Vaughn77 Junior Member

I'm hoping that somebody can help me identify this guitar. I believe it's a Samick but I'm not sure. I cannot find anything else like it online anywhere except one on eBay that's almost identical but still no name. It has one solid diamond on the headstock and no markings or numbers anywhere on the guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

A Cort perhaps ?

TRC, diamond inlay and headstock look similar to the linked example below.
    I don't have good pics of another control cavity to compare with yours,
    but if your pickup cavities are angled at corners with an overall bathtub shape
    like later Cortek examples, they were the most likely manufacturers.

Cort - Cortek Les Paul

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  10. Vaughn77

Vaughn77 Junior Member

So maybe it's the GE20 like in the pic below?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

I would remove 4 screws from one pickup surround without loosening strings,
    and just lift the pickup assembly enough at one end to check for those distinctive
    angular pick up route corners as shown in the pic I posted above, just to be sure.

If it's the same pickup route shape, then it's likely that GE-20 in CS finish.

1 person likes this.
  12. Vaughn77

Vaughn77 Junior Member

It's close

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Tokai Hunter

Tokai Hunter Senior Member

Please identify this Greco guitar model and its rough value... I have the exact guitar and want to know more about it

Attached Files:

14. Tokai Hunter

Tokai Hunter Senior Member

Got it.. it's a Greco MG600...was 60,000 Yen... thank you!

15. Vaughn77

Vaughn77 Junior Member

Thanks Reborn for your help identifying this thing. I Replaced the pickup mounting rings and cleaned it up a little. This is my first electric and I'm no expert on these but can someone give me an idea what this guitar might be worth. I picked it up for $80. It sounds awesome! Sorry for so many pics but its kinda hot!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Glad I could help :)
    We appreciate all the pics ... thanks !

Not too sure what it would be worth.
    I would try contacting other owners in that linked thread and ask what those were bought or sold for.

Condition on yours appears to be excellent. Best of luck with it !

17. sunburst59er

sunburst59er Junior Member

I'd estimate $100-150 considering the plywood body. Recently sold my Japanese Yamato Lester (solid body) for 200 bucks.

18. marcelpm

marcelpm Junior Member

Hi everybody.My name is Marcel,I'm new to this forum.I would like to ask you for some help.

I'm interested in buying a les paul goldtop w p90 copy,but neither the seller nor I have a clue what kind of copy this is.Can anyone help?

Here's the add to the guitar w pictures:

Les Paul Gold Top, P90, aged, kopija Gibson :: bolha.com

Please help!!

19. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi Marcel,

Welcome to MLP !

It would be difficult to determine the manufacturer without the benefit of a badge name or cavity route pics,
    but very likely Korean made.

Outside of Korean Epiphone manufacturers, which all used serial #'s,
    Samick, Cor-tek and Dillion were the main manufacturers for other brands in Korea.

If the seller is genuinely interested in finding out the manufacturer, ask him to email you
    a pic of the control cavity as others have done in previous posts.

20. vintagevintage

vintagevintage Junior Member

Hi all! Im new to this site and forum. But it seems really nice.

So, i got a mystery LP that is extra hard to get info about. The reason is in the name of the LP. And before i spell int out, it is NOT the current comapny with same brand name that makes LP repilcas, i had my guitar long before that company started and the logo is different. Also, it is NOT vantage, it is VINTAGE. As i said, not the current vintage brand since this LP been with me since aroind 1990, and had at least one owner before me. So you can imagine how hard it is to google a vintage, vintage LP repilica that is not the current vintage LP repilca. Anyways, definitly older than 1990. Vintage logo is in mother of pearl. It is a rather exact replica, so the logo is exactly like the original. Also the shape of the headstock, the fretboard inlays (like standard, not custom) and the body shape are exact replicas. It is a one piece solid mahogany body with i guess a maple top. The top is very natural, not quilted but rather like a violin. Glued mahogany neck wich is one piece except sides of headstock. There have been some obvious modifications like tuners, pickups (SD 59 might be original, i have no clue. I have 1 PUP that came mounted left) The chord connection is of locking type, not original. Pickguard is gone.. and it has a graphite nut and some spring loaded trem where the string anchor is on a regular LP. Any ideas? I can post pics, but i think i had to be like an active member before?