Mystery Les Paul copy identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by reborn old, Sep 18, 2014.

1. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi Mike, welcome !

Unfortunately I don't have an answer on yours. It looks vaguely similar to some Arias with that neck cutaway style,
    trapezoidal truss rod cover shape and long square neck tenon, but cavity routes differ slightly from any I've seen.
    The switch, pots, squarish nut profile and pickup cavity shape lean more towards Korean examples,
    but I can't dismiss earlier Japan builds outright.
    I haven't come across that headstock shape yet either , so hopefully someone who does recognize it will eventually chime in.

Thanks for posting pics + best of luck identifying it.

2. mike mc

mike mc Junior Member

Thanks Reborn Old, at first when I bought it I thought '70s Japanese. But the contoured heel with long tenon puzzled me and googling images on the internet have come up with "close but no cigar" similar guitars. I am even now thinking it may have been a kit, but I have not found which one either...

The set neck with contoured heel is certainly a nice option though. Only writing I have found on the whole guitar is the initials on the bridge.

Mike

1 person likes this.
  3. stingrayII

stingrayII Junior Member

mike, about 10 years ago there was a Chinese website selling a myriad of strange Gibson knock offs. your guitar would fit in to the line up of some of there more abstract instruments. ill see if i can find so pictures of them

4. stingrayII

stingrayII Junior Member

5. stingrayII

stingrayII Junior Member

another chinese maker, axl has a very similar heal
    [​IMG]

6. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Lotus also had that headstock type

7. Al Berkowitz

Al Berkowitz Junior Member

Hi! It's Nacho, from Spain. Just got into this forum to show you some pictures of a guitar I've just bought and hope someone can give me any information about it. Thanks in advance!

I've bought this guitar in Spain from another musician and he had gathered it from a passed away neighbour's stuff. I know it must be from 1975 or earlier, for there were some strings in the original cage from 1975. I've found nothing in the web similar than this and there's no "Made in", "Serial number" or anything on the guitar.
    I think it could be a Japanese copy, for the zero fret and some other things, maybe ensembled in Spain afterwards? . I've found some ohter "Wonder" guitars on this forum, but the headstock logo looks different.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-single-cuts/283159-wonder-super-craft-mij.html

BTW, the guitar feels great, and the neck is confortable

Thanks for you help. Regards,

Nacho

PICS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi Nacho,

As I thought, yours is completely unrelated to modern Wonder badged examples you linked to in another post.
    Zero frets and rounded fret boards were fairly common in late 60's and early 70's builds, so that might be about when yours was built.
    What looks like a truss rod adjustment at the neck pickup instead of the base of the headstock (Ornetts use a similar truss rod adjustment) and the roller bridge are fairly uncommon features that might help in your inquiries.

Rear cavities are not at all similar to most Japanese Les Paul Custom styled manufacturer examples,
    which might make it easier or more difficult to identify, depending on circumstances.

It's now posted where it will be more visible at least,
    so hopefully someone will eventually offer more info.
    The following 2 websites, which feature obscure brands,
    might offer more clues, if you can't stand the wait :

jedistar_vintage_guitar_dating

Anderson - Guitar museum

9. Al Berkowitz

Thanks very much, Reborn. I know there were some Spanish factories that ensembled Japan made pieces. Maybe this is one of those. Regards!

1 person likes this.
  10. Al Berkowitz

11. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

This type 3 Fresher is a follow up to this post near the middle of page 1 :
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/oth...l-copy-identification-thread.html#post6472658

It has been widely reported that Chushin manufactured Type 3 + 4 Freshers, and that the Matsumoto Instrument Association manufactured Type 1 + 2 Freshers from 1973 to about 1975 or 76.
    I found this type 3 Fresher LP example to be constructed somewhat differently from later Chushin LP examples posted earlier in this thread.
    Similarities include a familiar diagonal wire channel and flattened neck heel (like on 1978 Chushin made Burny examples but not like later Fresher Leo Nine examples I've seen).
    The control cavity is markedly different from 1978 and newer Chushins,
    yet similar to other badged examples, like the Frontier pictured in the post below.
    Other differences include a freehand routed tenon pocket + end tabs in the pickup cavity and a centered neck tenon instead of one offset to the bass side. Hopefully a type 1 or 2 Fresher will eventually turn up so that it can be determined whether or not this is an fact a different earlier Chushin example, or built by one of the mystery manufacturers of the Matsumoto Association.

Thanks to Syndromet for pics.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Here are pics of a Frontier LP from the same manufacturer posted by DNS in 2012 :

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      93.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      94.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      83.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      87.4 KB
      Views:
    1 person likes this.
  13. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      89.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      103.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      92.5 KB
      Views:
  14. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

This example is closer to being solved in that it was produced by the same manufacturer as Yamaki + Joodee LP's,
    but at the time of posting, I'm unsure if Yamaki manufactured their own guitars, or contracted their builds out. :hmm:

Daion + Kawai have been suggested, but again no proof they actually manufactured their own guitars.
    Dyna Gakki was reported to have been involved in some Joodee builds, but unless from an earlier period,
    these two examples look unlike Yamahas that were manufactured by Dyna in the late 70's at least.

The first 4 pics are of the mystery HH badged guitar in question, and the final pic is of a Joodee control cavity route from the same period for comparison purposes, courtesy of Syndromet. Both Joodee and this mystery badged guitar share the same "Artist" truss rod cover, along with other build similarities.

Attached Files:

15. Shackenb

Shackenb Senior Member

Whats that, got this offered, should be made in 74/75:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did somebody know it, Looks not to Bad...

Mystery solved it is a Hondo, no go for me...

16. Bump&Grind

Bump&Grind Junior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

17. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member

Hi B&G,

The Univox is a Gimme model most likely produced between 1970-72,
    due to the flat faced tailpiece and rounded fretboard end above the neck pickup.
    2 bolts secure the neck through the back plate and 2 screws through the neck tenon into the body under the pickup.
    These were Matsumoku made and had slimmer 60's profile necks generally.

The fixed neck example I would need a badge name for, at the very least, (appears to be Hondo II)
    and headstock + full control cavity pics (if available), if you want help finding out who manufactured it.
    A few were made by Tokai, some by other manufacturers, depending on when produced.

1 person likes this.
  18. Bump&Grind

Bump&Grind Junior Member

I'll take a few tonight and post them for you. Thank you so much!

19. Wade-19

Wade-19 Junior Member

First post here. I joined the forum in hopes that some of the experts here could help me identify this guitar . My father purchased it for me when I was I the 6th. grade, so around 11 or 12 years of age. I am almost 43 now, so it has been around a while. My uncle bought it from me and had it for about ten years and I hot it back three or four years ago. I never learned to play, but I am interested again . Any way, when I as about 13, I had the intonation set by a shop that was down the street from me and the tech said it was not a Gibson because the neck required a different tool to adjust it than Gibson used. The guitar is still as I received except, my uncle said he had to replace the tail piece as the original one broke. Anyway , here are the pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mod edit

pic removed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. reborn old

reborn old Senior Member